+ Reply to Thread

Hard reset (accidental)-advice & a question

A couple of lessons from a spontaneous hard reset (cause unknown):

1. This last happened some months ago and I took the long slow road of using CardInfo (hideously slow) to copy Filez and McFile to RAM from card, then use them to copy the protected BackupBuddy VFS to RAM, then run that to restore the Palm.

2. Duh. This time I remembered that the native Launcher doesn't show Card-based apps in the "All" view but does let you choose from the dropdown box to show card-based apps and run them. I ran BackupBuddyVFS from the card and it restored the Palm in 20 or 25 minutes. Remember to let the app write the older (Card-based) Address Book etc. over the "newer" one (empty, just created by Palm OS during hard reset) in RAM.

3. CAUTION: If you encrypt your backup using the for-pay version of BackupBuddy VFS, you not only can't restore it with the free version but you could easily destroy the backup set on your card. The free version gives you some kind of message about having to rebuild or re-something the backup set and what it actually will do is erase it because it doesn't recognize the files.

4. A few things don't get restored properly with Backup Buddy. In particular I was getting black screen of death until I reset with the up-arrow to disable hacks. Experimenting showed me the culprit was FontHack, which would crash the Palm until I respecified its settings (which font replaces which). The "Banner" info and a few other basic settings (ringer, I forget what else) also get restored to defaults.

5. MY QUESTION: Another thing that doesn't get fixed is your voicemail access number. My phone is operating on Verizon. During hard reset the phone set voicemail access (it's hard-mapped to Speed Dial position 1) as *86. I used to have it as *86,,,PIN,,11 -- so I went straight to the first message. Does anybody know where to change the number dialed for VoiceMail? You can't edit the one that's in Speed Dial.

Thanks.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Go to Messages, tap the drop down menu, then Voice Mail.... You will see where you can change the voice mail number.

Thanks much. Was driving me nuts.

gellmanb--

Thanks for the tips regarding backupbuddy vfs. I have the registered version and couldn't do without it. That along with my SD card are two reasons at the top of my list for buying the 7135 over any other smartphone out there!

At what point do you hold the up arrow when restoring to disable hacks?

<<At what point do you hold the up arrow when restoring to disable hacks?>>

While pressing reset, and hold a few seconds.