+ Reply to Thread

Headset sound issue

Jsut got the 7135 and made a call using a standard (Plantonics M130) headset. What I found was troubling:

1) Unlike all other cell phones (and telephones) I've used headsets with, I could not hear my own voice through the earpiece when speaking. This is somewhat disorienting and counter-intuitive. Anyone else notice this?

2) The headset jack seems a bit loose. That is, the plug would occasionally move around and I would lose sound or even hang up on my caller. This seems to be a real problem.

Comments?

Mitch<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Mitch-
    I use the stereo earbuds as my primary headset but have used my old Plantronics headset from time to time. When using the Plantronics I often hear an echo that drives me crazy.
    I'd suggest buying an adapter from coolcat on this board or springing for the Kyocera stereo earbuds.
    Good luck

Re: Headset sound issue

Originally posted by mitch23
    Jsut got the 7135 and made a call using a standard (Plantonics M130) headset. What I found was troubling:

1) Unlike all other cell phones (and telephones) I've used headsets with, I could not hear my own voice through the earpiece when speaking. This is somewhat disorienting and counter-intuitive. Anyone else notice this?
    Ummm... I gotta say, I've owned probably 9 or 10 different cell phones since 1994 and not one allowed you to hear yourself went using an earpiece.

Just my $.02.
    MEast

Originally posted by pdageek
    I'd suggest buying an adapter from coolcat on this board or springing for the Kyocera stereo earbuds.
    Why should I need an adapter? Doesn't it use a standard headset jack? In any case, what is the adapter you're referring to?

Mitch

Why should I need an adapter? Doesn't it use a standard headset jack? In any case, what is the adapter you're referring to?

Mitch
    I think PDAGeek was going off on a tangent. The adapter is for using standard stereo earbuds for listening to MP3's rather then using the Kyo stereo headset. Not the issue you are asking about.

The ability to hear yourself is called side-tone, and is typically a function of the headset, not the phone. Have you used this headset with other phones, or is it new with your 7135? The best desktop phone headsets have adjustable side tone, as does the Jabra Bluetooth headset. That is the only cellular one I have seen with this adjustment, and the only one I have ever had that I could hear any sidetone at all, on any cell phone.

I would be concerned that your headset jack seems loose. My 7135 holds the headset plug at least as well as any other phone I have used.

Alan

Headphones/Speaker

I may be a doofus, but I bought a new Sony headset this weekend, only to realize that the 3.5 mm jack doesn't work with my 7135. So I bought an adapter from Radio Shack and plugged the headphones into that, and then the adapter into the phone. I only got sound on the right side of the headphones, and the speaker on the phone was playing the song loud and clear. Why would I only get it on one side, and more importantly, why would the sound be coming out of the phone speaker as well as into the headphone??

Please any help would be appreciated. I feel like a complete buffoon.

Re: Headphones/Speaker

Originally posted by boogers
    I may be a doofus, but I bought a new Sony headset this weekend, only to realize that the 3.5 mm jack doesn't work with my 7135. So I bought an adapter from Radio Shack and plugged the headphones into that, and then the adapter into the phone. I only got sound on the right side of the headphones, and the speaker on the phone was playing the song loud and clear. Why would I only get it on one side, and more importantly, why would the sound be coming out of the phone speaker as well as into the headphone??

Please any help would be appreciated. I feel like a complete buffoon.
    Because the jack is for stero headsets AND a microphone, and the adapter you bought is ONLY for headphones. You are lucky you didn't cook your phone.

Coolcat makes adapters specifically for the 7135 to use regular headsets. He sells them for little more then the material cost.

See http://www.geocities.com/nokmout/adapter.html for details.

Alan

Originally posted by alanb
    The ability to hear yourself is called side-tone, and is typically a function of the headset, not the phone. Have you used this headset with other phones, or is it new with your 7135?
    Alan
    I have used the headset with other phones and got the "side-tone". The lack of side-tone is new with the 7135. On a generic note, when using the phone normally (w/o a headset) one can hear their voice in the earpiece as they speak. In fact, this is standard behavior for ALL phones (cellular and desktop). To have a headset behave differently would make no sense to me.

Weird. Is the phone really DESIGNED this way? Does anybody else notice this?

Mitch

Re: Re: Headphones/Speaker

Coolcat makes adapters specifically for the 7135 to use regular headsets. He sells them for little more then the material cost.

See http://www.geocities.com/nokmout/adapter.html for details.
    I note from coolcat's pictures that the plus seems to have FOUR contacts whereas a standard headset has THREE. Cold this be why I'm not gettign a side-tone on a Plantronics (3-contact) headset?

Mitch

Re: Re: Re: Headphones/Speaker

I note from coolcat's pictures that the plus seems to have FOUR contacts whereas a standard headset has THREE. Cold this be why I'm not gettign a side-tone on a Plantronics (3-contact) headset?

Mitch
    No the 4th band is for the right channel on stereo sound sources.

I don't get any side-tone on any of the headsets except my Jabra Bluetooth. I didn't get any sidetone on any headset with my StarTac, an older Kyo phone, or a really old toshiba AMPS phone either.

Personally, side tone drives me nuts, and on desktop headsets where I can control it, I always turn it off.

Alan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Headphones/Speaker

I don't get any side-tone on any of the headsets except my Jabra Bluetooth. Alan
    This is getting stranger. Are you saying that you DO get a side-tone on the 7135 w/ the Jabra? If so, that would imply that it is NOT a phone design issue, but is a headset issue. That's why this is strange given that all non-stereo headsets seem to have at least the same plug configuration. In other words, if I got a side-tone using my current headset on a StarTAC, I should get it on the 7135 (i.e. same plug configuraation). Wierd.

I've submitted this as a technical support issue to Kyocera and will let you know what they say.

Mitch

The plug configuration doesnt effect the side-tone configuration. its internal the the headset OR internal to the phone-- the plug just gets the sound from one to the other and almost all phones are 3-contact plugs (ground,mic,speaker) however the 7135 has 4 contacts (ground, mic, left, right).
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Headphones/Speaker

This is getting stranger. Are you saying that you DO get a side-tone on the 7135 w/ the Jabra? If so, that would imply that it is NOT a phone design issue, but is a headset issue. That's why this is strange given that all non-stereo headsets seem to have at least the same plug configuration. In other words, if I got a side-tone using my current headset on a StarTAC, I should get it on the 7135 (i.e. same plug configuraation). Wierd.

I've submitted this as a technical support issue to Kyocera and will let you know what they say.

Mitch
    I do get sidetone with the Jabra Freespeak bluetooth headset. but it has a lot of "extra" electronics, including adjustable side tone, so it can generate it even if the phone doesn't.

Alan

Can you use the hand's free dialing with the Jabra? What do you use for the button?

AJaM

Originally posted by AJaM
    Can you use the hand's free dialing with the Jabra? What do you use for the button?

AJaM
    Yes, I can. The on-off button can be reconfigured to do answer-end emulation: http://www.jabra.com/fscs/NBFreeSpea...dFeatures.html

I do occasionally get out of synch with the phone, where I think I am hanging up, but the call has already ended and it goes into voice dial mode, but since the button also shuts off power to the earpiece I don't know it. Then I get into this viscious cycle of hitting the button and having it do the opposite of what I want to happen until I open the flip and manually enter the mode the headset thinks the phone is in. Just takes some getting used to.

Alan

cool now all those Jabra's I stock are not useless for me... I think I'll pull one out of stock...

AJaM