+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Kinoma

Kinoma

I sent another e-mail to Kinoma today asking when we might see a 7135 update and got their usual response - plus an invitation to join their new forum. Maybe if enough of us join it will help spur them on, so I joined and started a 7135 topic:

Jazmaan,

Sorry, but all I can say is that we are still working on it and will let
    registered users know when the new version is available. We will also
    let users who have inquired through e-mails to Kinoma Support know when
    it is available, in case they are not registered users of Kinoma
    Producer.

In the meantime, we just added a Kinoma Forum:
    http://www.kinoma.com/forum/
    Feel free to check it out.

Regards,

Kinoma Support

Kinoma has a new "preview" beta available! Unfortunately, it also requires "patches" from Kyo Tech Support. I've written Kyo to request the patches and I'll let you know when I've got everything installed.

From Kinoma's description, this appears to be a rather modest update - all it does for Kyo 7135 owners is fix sound so that it works with or without a headset. From the description, the update does not appear to use the 7135's DSP chip, or address any other issues. But its still a welcome improvement! (If it works!)

Please post the patches to the files section when you get them, assuming Kyocera won't object.

Thanks,
    falstaffpac

Folks,

This just came in my e-mail seconds ago from Kinoma...

Dear Kinoma Users,

Thank you for your interest in Kinoma Products. You have inquired about a Kinoma Player that is compatible with the Kyocera 7135.

We are pleased to provide you a preview of some upcoming enhancements to Kinoma Player. While the next version of Kinoma Player will include many exciting new features, this preview (version 1.5.2b1) targets a few key audio updates.

1. Support for the Kyocera 7135 Smartphone. Kinoma Player now plays mono ADPCM encoded audio through the speaker and/or headset. In order to use this feature in Kinoma Player, you must also download and HotSync a few patches from Kyocera. Contact Kyocera's tech support by at http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/inf...techsupport.htm
    to obtain the patches.

2. Improved audio/video synchronization on ARM-based Sony CLIE handhelds. Kinoma Player 1.5.2b1 leverages the hardware-based audio clock, which offers a more precise synchronization between audio and video.

3. Improved audio quality on Sony CLIE ARM-based handhelds. Kinoma Player 1.5.2b1 now plays back ADPCM mono encoded audio with sampling rate up to 44.1 kHz. All the current Sony CLIE ARM-based handhelds are supported, including the NX, NZ, and TG50 series.

Kinoma Player 1.5.2b1 can be downloaded here:

http://downloads.kinoma.com/1.5.2be...inomaPlayer.zip

Please use this thread to provide feedback and bug reports for this version of Kinoma Player. Kinoma Player 1.5.2b1 will expire roughly two weeks from today, on April 24, 2003.

Kinoma has added a Kinoma Forum: http://www.kinoma.com/forum/ Feel free to check it out. You can even start a new thread with your device and share/exchange data with other Kyocera users.

Best Regards,

Kinoma Support

Well I just talked to Kyocera and they told me that there is NO patch available from Kyocera and they said that this "Patch" that Kinoma is talking about is suposed to be available from Kinoma and not Kyocera. So I replyed back to Kinoma about the communication from Kyocera and I'm waiting for a responce back.

Anyone else had better luck or got a hold of the "patch" files ? I have downloaded the new beta player but I have NOT tried to load it into the 7135 yet. My new Verizon 7135 seems to be a little UNSTABLE compared to my Alltel 7135.

I got the same email from kinoma -- The links don't work! ARGH
    iPhone therefore iAm.

I emailed Kyocera looking for the patches. It sounds like Kinoma screwed this one up. Let's keep the pressure on them to get us the patches. I tried the new sw and got the same old same old issues of freezing, no sound, etc.

Please join the Kinoma forum if you haven't already and leave messages there too until we get this fixed.

I am afraid to say this since I have no clue how to post software on this site and I really don't have a lot of time in sending the files to everyone that needs this. So if anyone can help I have the new patches but I have NOT tried to load them or use the new beta program. I am still trying to deal with the EN issue that I have with the Verizon 7135 that I have. It's amazing that my Alltel 7135 works with NO issues and now my newely purchased Verizon 7135 is having EN issues and also the screen being brighter and washed out when I wake it from sleep.

any ways, pleae let me know what to do and I will post the software.

Bob

to post software

To post software, when you are replying to a message, or posting a new message, below the box where you type your text, and below the options, is an Attach File area. hit the browse button. This will open up a standard windows file dialog (if you are on a MAC, I am not sure what it does.... but I am sure it works). Find the file you want to attach, then click the OPEN button onthe dialog. The path and file name will now be in the box to the left of the browse button.

When you hit submit, it will upload the file to the board.

Note: It will need to be in a zip file or be a txt or one of several graphic formats

Thanks,

Alan

Kinoma Patch files

Here are the Kyocera Patch files for Kinoma 1.5.2beta
    Attached Files

Thanks for your help alanb. It's was very simple but I never paid any attention to the options when I was writing messages in the past!!

Re: Kinoma Patch files

Originally posted by babacksh
    Here are the Kyocera Patch files for Kinoma 1.5.2beta
    Thanks for posting. The link to the Beta in the posted email did not translate correctly. The correct link is:

http://downloads.kinoma.com/1.5.2bet...nomaPlayer.zip

Alan

Kinoma 1.5.2Beta Player

Ok since the link is dead, here is the actual 1.5.2Beta file
    Attached Files

Better yet, here is the Kinoma beta PLUS the two necessary patch files.

I got the patches second-hand so usual disclaimers apply, don't blame me if your 7135 implodes, etc. etc.

But they work for me! :UpThum

I just played a 1/2 hour sitcom directly from SD card through the speakerphone with no problems whatsoever! Good sync, no slowdown.

The sound quality is still noisier than TealMovie, but its not unlistenable. It will probably be a LONG wait before Kinoma gets around to issuing another update that supports the 7135's DSP chip, so I think we'll just have to be satisfied with this for the foreseeable future.

Thank you Kinoma!
    Attached Files

Ok, so far the patch works pretty well. I noticed some glitches if you put the 7135 into its cradle/charger while a movie is playing. Then it seems to revert to some of the old clicking noises which can be ridded by closing the flip, opening it, restarting, kind of like with the old workaround.

I'm using custom settings 16.384 khz sound, compression 2:1, audio boost - none.
    Cinepak Mobile video, 12 fps, 160 x 120, 320kbps bit rate.

Are these the recommended settings or does Kinoma recommend something better?

I was able to play back from the SD card very well with these settings except for one interesting "feature". Using a test video of The Beatles "All You Need Is Love", I noticed that the music was slower than it should be.

So I compared the Kinoma file playing back from the 7135's SD card with the original source file playing back on Windows Media Player. First I compared the keys of the two songs, expecting to find the 7135 playing back in a lower key. But to my surprise they were BOTH in the key of G!

Then I compared the tempos of the two files - and AHA! The Windows File played back at 98 beats per minute while the Kinoma File was 88 beats per minute! That's a neat trick, slowing down the playback without affecting the pitch! It probably wouldn't even be noticed on most non-musical material.

Thanks for all the info guys! I installed the beta while I was at work today... and just got home and saw that the Kyocera patch files were here! So I just e-mailed them to myself and, with the help of SnapperMail and HandZipper Lite I just installed the patches and am watching the MIB II trailer as we speak It sounds really good! (compared to the Treo... the sound worked in Kinoma, but you could only hear noise and not understand it).
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

That is excellent news guys! I can't wait to try it!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Thanks folks! I got the email from Kinoma too, but am on travel in the bay area and was going to wait until I got home to install since I left my hotsync cable at home. It was too hard to wait with all this discussion going on, I had to try it now!

So, thanks to your inspiration, I decided to install it anyway. I first tried just copying from laptop to SD card, then moving from SD card to the phone, but it didn't work, it said some of the old version files were read only. Bummer, but decided to try hot syncing using infrared between laptop and phone. The laptop could see the phone over IR, but for some reason, couldn't get the laptop to startup hotsync. Ugh! Finally just tried normal file transfer from laptop to phone, this time it asked if I wanted to deleted old version files. I said yes, and voila! NOw I have the new one running!

I happen to have the full Monsters, Inc. movie on a 256MB SD card with me, so I am watching it now. This is much better than before! Audio is still not clean, but the volume is much higher out of the speaker now and signal to noise seems much improved, and no clicking sound anymore. Audio thru stereo headset still only comes out of one side, but does sound a lot better in my opinion. Anyway, I can't wait to show this to the guys at my client's office, especially since it is a high end home theater video company. I'll hold it up in front of one of their plasma panels while they are doing testing, and I'm sure this will blow them away!

Originally posted by Markito
    That is excellent news guys! I can't wait to try it!
    It's sweet Markito! I watched all of the trailers I downloaded from the Sony site and put on my SD card a while back (hoping that someday they would work with sound!). Now I am motivated to start trying to record some TV shows to watch on my 7135 (I just want one good Seinfeld episode on my card! Well, to start with )
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast