+ Reply to Thread

converting from sony clie nr to 7135-please help

I have a clie NR 70. I followed all the directions about deleting the saved preferences folder.

When I hot syncd, I keep getting a fatal error.

I then manually loaded app after app, deleting anything clie related. I was able to retrieve most of my data. Problem now: the touch screen will not work unless I do a soft reset. The buttons work, but not the touch screen. I deleted jot and word complete because they seemed to make more fatal error,
    Suggestions?

Is there any easy way to just transfer from clie to 7135? Thanks!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

This may seem a little arduous, but it's how I switched from a 6035 to a 7135. I had a lot of 3rd party apps on my old 6035 that I didn't want to just put on the 7135 wholesale. I got the basic sequence from an early message on the 7135 discussion; I don't remember the author.

1) Hotsync your clie so that all info on your Palm Desktop is current.

2) Save each category of stuff on your Desktop (Date, Contacts, TODO, and Memo) into a backup file.

3) Move your Backup folder from the C:palm folder into somewhere safe, like My Documents. (This way you can move programs individually back into the install queue later).

4) Delete the c:palm folder completely.

5) Delete or uninstall any conduit programs (chapura, etc.) that point to your Palm.

6) Hard reset your 7135 so that whatever settings are fudging up your phone go away.

7) Install the Palm and Palm Desktop software from your 7135 CD's so that you are creating a clean install.

Sync your phone with the newly installed software just like you'd never had a Palm on your machine before.

9) Use the Import... function to restore the core data backups from (2) above into your new Desktop.

10) Hotsync your data onto the phone.

11) In small batches, reinstall the 3rd party apps so you can tell which batch is causing troubles (and also because dumping them all on at once is asking for problems).

I downloaded new copies of my old 3rd party software and installed the newer copies. A lot of them had newer versions. I just used the old Backup folder as a guide to make sure I had gotten everything.

I avoided any of the crashiness problems that some have reported by using this technique. Yeah, it's pretty much bulldozing the thing and starting over, but it beats fighting with errors later. Good luck. You may want to do a search for these to see what the earlier guy's list said to make sure I've got it all here; it's been a couple of months since I installed and I may have forgotten a step.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

I did pretty much the same thing as BrerLapn... except for steps 1 through 11 (j/k :p). Backed up my Palm folder, wiped out all traces of a previous Palm device, installed 7135 software with Outlook conduits, sync'd my Outlook data to my 7135, and then reinstalled everything from scratch with my Treo as a guide for app prefs and 3rd party launcher layout. There is a LOT of vital config/license info stored in the saved prefs file (which is the file you LEAST want coming over from the old config), so be sure to have all of your license codes handy (I had to e-mail several companies to get them again, since I had not kept those e-mails from my previous job's computer). Within a couple hours I was 90% back to where I had been with the Treo, and no problems to troubleshoot (which ends up taking up way more time than you're trying to save by taking shortcuts).
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

p.s. I did also beam several apps and app db's such as browser favorites.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)