+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Going Nuts

Going Nuts

I've got a weird problem. I have several contacts with four numbers. Anytime I try to select a phone number beyond the first two and hit the "Talk" button it doesn't dial. Instead of dialing the number, it goes back to the phone app. as if a number was not selected.

This is driving me nuts. I've done a hard reset, deleted the AddressDB and recreated them and same problem. Although, if I do a hard reset and enter a single record with four entries, I can dial. I'm thinking it's a single AddressDB record but I have no way of knowing which of the 69 records it is that is causing a problem.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Are there any characters that can be entered for a name that can cause weird problems like this?

TIA<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Sorry to read that jonecool.
    As I mentioned in another thread, none of the numbers work for me. I sellect a contact and number, press the green phone button and like you said, it just takes me to the phone app., but doesn't dial. I'm at a loss.

By the way, welcome to the forum.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Does it maybe have something to do with the "Enable One-Tap Dialing" option in Phone Prefs?

Just an idea.

Dialing from the Address Book (without Automatic selected in the 'Dialiar' Preference List) takes two taps of the green (phone icon) button. By default the number (not name) selected is opened into the dialer screen so that you can check whether you selected the correct number - on the first press of the green button. If it is then the green button must be pressed again from the dialer screen to dial the number.

When there is more than one number in the list. The one listed is the primary number. To select one of the other numbers, open the list and tap the number you want. This moves it up to be the primary number. Then dial as above.

Hi Jonecool,

I have the same problem. Somehow, putting longer entries of a given contact (like email addresses) at the end of the list seems to help make more of the numbers dialable.

Try that and let me know if it works!

Are other people having this same problem?

Fred

Problem Identified

After scraching my head and some discussions with a friend who also owns a Kyocera 7135, we have isolated the problem. It's a bug in the Phone software. Also, Kyocera "Confirmed" this problem during a phone call with them this morning. Here's the scoop:

There is a bug in the firmware that if you have a "Company" and "Title" defined in an Addressbook entry and 4 phone numbers (i.e. Work, Home, Pager, Mobile) for that contact, only the first two will allow you to select and dial. The selection of numbers beyond 2 will not let you dial out by selecting the number and hitting the Talk Button (Returns to phone app. without dialing). From what we have seen, this problem exists in the following phone firmware:

Phone Software: MZ1.0.36
    PDA Software: SZ 1.0.23
    PRL: 50077

My friends phone is using the older firmware and DOES NOT have the same problems my phone is having. This apprently is a new bug introduced in the new firmware. The older firmware that works fine is:

Phone Software: MZ1.0.34
    PDA Software: SZ 1.0.20
    PRL: 50075

Kyocera says they are working on the issue. In the meantime, if you delete the Company Name and Title from the addressbook entry, you'll be able to select and dial any of the 4+ phone numbers you may have setup. If you only have 2 numbers for a given contact, you should be OK.

I hope this is helpful to someone! I hope Kyocera provides a fix soon too.

DRC
    Originally posted by meast
    Does it maybe have something to do with the "Enable One-Tap Dialing" option in Phone Prefs?

Just an idea.
    I don't HAVE a "one tap dialing" option in phone prefs.

Phone MZ1.0.36
    PDA SZ 1.0.23
    Address book 4.0
    Dialer 2.0
    Palm 4.1
    DRC

Whoa. Weird. Now I can't find it either. I swear to God I've seen that option in there!!

DRC
    The 6035 gained one, with the last firmware update I did (last month), but I can't find it on the 7135
    DRC

Re: Problem Identified

Originally posted by jonecool
    After scraching my head and some discussions with a friend who also owns a Kyocera 7135, we have isolated the problem. It's a bug in the Phone software. Also, Kyocera "Confirmed" this problem during a phone call with them this morning.
    Thanks for the info. The bug exists on my phone also. Thankfully, TAKEphONE does not have this problem.

tcv
    This brings up a question:

Did Kyocera periodically update their firmware ont he 6035? How did the users get the new firmware?

For what it's worth, I didn't know you could dial that way. I had been using the stylus to select the phone number. Tap the number and it dials.

m

Re: Re: Problem Identified

Originally posted by Beryl
    Thanks for the info. The bug exists on my phone also. Thankfully, TAKEphONE does not have this problem.
    I totally agree. Blow the $$ and purchase TAKEphONE. It is truly a great app (I wouldn't call it killer app, just great) for this phone.

http://www.shsh.com

MAKE SURE IT IS 5.04xe!

--John

Administrator
    Originally posted by tcv
    This brings up a question:

Did Kyocera periodically update their firmware ont he 6035? How did the users get the new firmware?

m
    basically how some are getting it now... by someone spilling the beans on one of their ftp sites... i do think verizon is getting better with the firmware updates by having them available at a nearby store.