+ Reply to Thread
    Tim

MP3 player and Mac

I have owned a 7135 for about 2 or 3 months, and I have enjoyed it. I have had a few issues, though, some of which have been discussed in this forum. One important point for a subset of users is that the 7135 is severely crippled in functionality for Mac users. I was aware of most of these limitations before I bought the thing, but the lack of ability to use the MP3 player seems particularly silly. It appears that the only thing lacking is a program that will transfer MP3's from computer to SD (or MMC) card inserted in the 7135. Does anyone know of any workaround? I have tried simply copying MP3's onto a MMC and then inserting the card into the 7135, but the MP3 player won't recognize them. Thanks for any help.

tim<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Kyocera sent me this.

I'm a Mac user and I got this email from Kyocera about this but have not gotten around to trying this yet since I haven't bought an SD card yet (will do i soon).

"Thank you for contacting Kyocera Wireless.

I understand that you would like to use the MP3 Player function of the
    7135 SmartPhone with your Mac computer.

The MP3 synchronization software on the supplied CD is designed for use
    under Microsoft Windows.

However, once you have used a Windows computer to sync a single MP3 over
    to your SD or MM card, you can then use any SD or MM card reader/writer
    that is supported by your Mac to write additional MP3's into the same
    folder as the original MP3. The Windows software does not modify the files;
    it is simply used to copy them to the card via the phone.

The only other requirement is that the file playlist.pdb must be deleted
    from the same folder to force the MP3 Player to reindex / register all
    the MP3's in the folder. "

Let me know if it actually works since I'll be trying it myself soon. The Kyocera rep I talked to who sent me this email said that when a PC sets it up first it automatically sets up a folder on the card called "Audio" which is where the mp3's have to reside. Once established you can then move mp3's to that folder and it should work.

Tim
    Thanks alot for the reply!
    I'd like to try the solution, but I don't have a PC that I can try it on. I guess I would have to install the Kyocera version of Palm Desktop on it and then sync. I wonder if Virtual PC will work?
    I wonder what it is about the Windows MP3 transfer program that "enables" a card to be read by the 7135's player.

well

I do know that part of the issue has to do with having a file created that is called "AUDIO" . I don't know if you can just do that yourself. That might be something to try. Can you create a folder called "AUDIO" on your card and put the MP3s in it?

I also read that it is important to format the card with your phone and not the computer.

see this thread:

http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...udio#post59446

Just create an AUDIO Folder on the SD card and put the MP3s in there. (make sure the bit rate is 128 or lower). Everything will work fine. If you want to add or take away songs, just make sure you delete that playlist .pdb file. Mine works great. OH, and I did format the card with my phone, just in case.
    "Why all the pearls, why the blue hair, why anything!?"

Tim
    Thanks for all the help. I'll play around with it and let you know what I find.

tim

Tim
    Wow. It works just like other posters have said. I didn't reformat the card with the phone (to be honest I'm not really sure how to do that; perhaps choose erase all with the File Manager?). The card is a small 8MB MMC that came with my Canon ZR25 camcorder. I simply copied the MP3 file (imported at 128 kbit) directly onto the card into a folder called AUDIO using the SmartDisk Universal Card Reader and voila. My phone plays the file just fine. Thanks again! I'm really grateful for the help. This is absolutely the most useful forum in which I have ever visited.

To format cards in the phone, go to the Card Info app. The format function is on one of the menus. Tap the menu soft key to open the menus.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.